PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney should start. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alk said:
IMO, if Maroney NEEDS Dillon as a compliment, we wasted our first round pick. I happen to disagree, Maroney is the complete back, he runs with alot of power and probably has two gears that Dillon has never had. That being said, Dillon is playing pretty well and he still needs his carries but if I had to choose one starter that got 60-70% of the carries, it would have to be Maroney.

Reason #4,247,286 why you are posting on a message board and BB is the HC of the NE Patriots.

we have a GREAT situation at RB so why are people saying we should do things differently than what is expected (split carries and let the game plan and game itself dictate who will get more or less carries).
Splitting carries will benifit both guys more than carrying the full load would benifit either one and the team.
I could see this discussion come up (although it would have been to early in my opinon) if Dillon had a horrible game, but he had a very good one and was an intergral part in the win.
Lets enjoy the benifit of having two very good and different backs with a "do-everything" 3rd back instead of argue over someone being the "starter" or about %'s.

Think about it this way....

using the '3 Headed Beast' approach (Maroney/Dillon/Faulk), the Pats set a franchise record for rushing yardage.

so I'd say, keep doing what they're doing.

I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to have this team turn into a power running team that throws less than 20 times a game.

PATSNUTme said:
Reason #4,247,286 why you are posting on a message board and BB is the HC of the NE Patriots.
True, but since you know it all, how is it that you haven't at least landed a gig for the local high school or something? :D

There is a reason why everyone in the NFL is going to a two back system - it's successful. Stat junkie armchair quarterbacks can't understand this.

Also, you cannot underestimate the effect that CD's running style has on a D. He punishes them, and it pays dividends in the later quarters.

R

tombonneau said:
Obviously you don't want to use up Maroney, but IMO, the splits should be 66/33 in favor of the rookie, not 50/50. You simply can't afford to miss out on Maroney ripping off a 30 yarder when Dillon only gets you 5.

According to the game stats, LoMo had 2 big runs of 22 and 27 yards. Very nice indead, BUT without those 2 runs he averages 2.6 yards a carry for the game. So your saying the chance to get 1 big run every 10 carries is worth a 2.6 yards the other 9?

Dillion looked good in my view and the chance of a big run from LoMo with the consistant 4.5 yards a care from Dillion works out great IMHO.

The 2 of them work great together & neither has a problem with 50/50 each brings a different style & keeps defenses off guard. Without Dillon yesterday we would have most like ly lost. 4 and 1 & he goes for 6 yds when the defense knew the play?

Furthermore, using all three backs forces Defenses to game plan in advance and to adjust constantly to what the Pats throw at em. Splitting carries this season, and probably next.... until one or the other gets injured.

I think Maroney is going to be a stud but having the luxury of two quality backs in the same backfield is something you don't see too often. I think both benefit from the 50-50 split as they both remain fresh while the defense wears down in the second half. Dillon looked more like the Dillon of 2 yrs ago than last year's version and adding Faulk to the mix and I'm liking this part of their game very much.

No.

20/15 carries a week, give the 20 to whomever is looking best or what the situation dictates.

There's really no reason for a healthy back of the calibre of Corey Dillon to be sitting on the bench when there's a lot he can do for this team. Maroney looks great but I have my doubts that he could churn out the tough yards that Corey did.

It'd be foolish to subject Maroney's body to unnecessary punishment when we can split carries between them and have them both fresher and healthier come playoffs.

Displaced - Fan said:
According to the game stats, LoMo had 2 big runs of 22 and 27 yards. Very nice indead, BUT without those 2 runs he averages 2.6 yards a carry for the game. So your saying the chance to get 1 big run every 10 carries is worth a 2.6 yards the other 9?

Dillion looked good in my view and the chance of a big run from LoMo with the consistant 4.5 yards a care from Dillion works out great IMHO.

Best Post of the thread !!!!! Dillon wears the defense down, so that Maroney can break those at anytime.....

Last edited:
Alk said:
True, but since you know it all, how is it that you haven't at least landed a gig for the local high school or something? :D

I did coach HS football for three years but then I decided that I needed three things: food, clothing, and shelter. So, I left and went into business.

But,enough about me.

Corey has shown that lsat year was not hte real Corey. With him and Maroney sharing the load, it will help the passing game.

tombonneau said:
Given the passing game sitaution, IMO, Maroney needs to start and get the majority of carries, not split 50/50 with Dillon.

Dillon is a much more reliable receiver and blocker than Maroney is and much less likely to fumble.

Displaced - Fan said:

This is one of the worst agrument in sports statistics. You simply can't take away those carries. My point is, if he got 5 more carries, one of those runs could easily have been a 20-30 yarder, if not more. He has already displayed this big play potential.

Also, rookie RBs "breaking down" is another specious arguement. If this were true, a rookie RB wouldn't almost always be in the Top 10 in rushing almost every year. Yes, a rb like Caddy breaks down when Gruden runs in 30+ times in back-to-back games early in the season.

I'm not advocating giving Maroney 30+ carries. I simply think is the Pats run 35 times a game, it should be 20/10/5 btwn Maroney/Dillon/Faulk.

I'm sure by mid-season this will be the ratio.

tombonneau said:
Given the passing game sitaution, IMO, Maroney needs to start and get the majority of carries, not split 50/50 with Dillon.

Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

And with the passing game not lighting it up, Pats can't afford the opportunity cost of yardage left on the table if Maroney is not in the game.

I'm not saying 30 carries a game, I think you want to be careful he doesn't hit the rookie wall, but he needs 20-25 touches a game. Put Dillon in to spell him and for short yardage, and still work Faulk in, but the ground game needs to start & end with Maroney.
UNBELIEVABLE. I really want to just tell you you have no idea what you are talking about. You look at it quick because Maroney is quick flashy and at times breaks huge gains. But Dillon was the key player in the game. Key first downs, hard hits on defensive players, wearing them down. Even if you say Dillon did well, I feel its disrespectfull to him that he worked so hard in the offseason to get in magnificent shape and here we are with this guy saying he should be back up to the rookie...

tombonneau said:
This is one of the worst agrument in sports statistics. You simply can't take away those carries. My point is, if he got 5 more carries, one of those runs could easily have been a 20-30 yarder, if not more. He has already displayed this big play potential.

Also, rookie RBs "breaking down" is another specious arguement. If this were true, a rookie RB wouldn't almost always be in the Top 10 in rushing almost every year. Yes, a rb like Caddy breaks down when Gruden runs in 30+ times in back-to-back games early in the season.

I'm not advocating giving Maroney 30+ carries. I simply think is the Pats run 35 times a game, it should be 20/10/5 btwn Maroney/Dillon/Faulk.

The point of my post is that LoMo on average only got 2.6 ypc. Yes if he got 5 more carries he MIGHT have ripped off other. Given enough carries he would have for sure. Yet it is MORE likely he would have only gotten 2.6ypc the next 5. Where as Dillion would have MOST likely gotten 4.5. You win games with consistantsy, not maybe's.

I do believe LoMo will be a great back, but right now he is very inconsistant and still learning the system. Dillion should for sure be the main back IMHO.

tombonneau said:

I'm as big a fan of Maroney's as anyone, but I don't see this ratio happeneing. In fact, I thought he would get about 10 touches yesterday, I was shocked he got more touches than Dillon. I still think it'll be about 55-45% in Dillon's favor when all is said and done (for this year). BB is no dummy, he knows what he has, and in Dillon, he has a proven warrior, and that's why he, and not Maroney, was out there on the crucial 4 & 2 at the end of the game. Maroney will be the starter by next year though, Dillon will be 33 yo by that time.

Dillon is a warrior, I'll never forget what he did for us in 2004. And don't forget, he didn't break the 90+ yard runs, but he did have some nice 20-40 yard runs for us, including that great 25 yard TD in th AFCCG against Pittsburgh.

tombonneau said:

Ever hear Bill Belichick teaching his players?

Situational football is the mantra- - NOT absolute rules as to who starts and who gets the touches.

You would have a point if Steve Spurrier or Mike Tice was the coach here, but they ain't.

In the words of BB: "Situational football fellas is what it's all about. Situations, situations, situations."

When you have to rely on a rookie the chance of them making a mistake goes up. They can get overwhelmed with everything causing their performance to tail off and mistakes to happen. He's more likely to break those big runs if he doesn't have to carry the load yet.

What happened on 4th & 2 2min to go?

Dillon smashmouth first down by 2 yds.

This sin't an either or situation both add bvalue, use both as needed to make the team better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents