PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney should start. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

This post is a joke.....period. CD picks up 6-7 yards and somehow that's a bad thing????

Last edited:
zoostation said:
Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

This post is a joke.....period. CD picks up 6-7 yards and somehow that's a bad thing????

The holes the Oline was opening, CD was hardly doing anything otherwordly to pick up yardage on those 6-7 yd gains. He was running the play, hitting a guy, and going a few more yards. LM showed what he could do with those sames hole: pick up 25 yards. That's why he needs more reps than Dillon.

tombonneau said:
The holes the Oline was opening, CD was hardly doing anything otherwordly to pick up yardage on those 6-7 yd gains. He was running the play, hitting a guy, and going a few more yards. LM showed what he could do with those sames hole: pick up 25 yards. That's why he needs more reps than Dillon.
You are such a joke. Why does Maroney get the yard he does? He is 21, he has outstanding speed, outstanding acceleration. Dillon is in his 30's and no longer has that. If Dillon keeps runnign 6 and 7 yards each play, hand the ball off to him 75% of the time and we will win. First down, first down, first down, first down. The chains would be flying down field. A nice long drive with hard running and hard fought yards. Maroney eventually isnt going to get a hole and will be swarmed under sometimes, Dillon is able to pound it at them and drive people back and pick up extra yards. Dont get me wrong Maroney is a tough dude but Dillon is very intimidating with his size, and toughness. Again you fail to understand Dillon wears down defenses with his running. Give the ball to Maroney all game. He'll do great, get big yards but the defense isnt going to be falling on its back, fatigued and bruised up. Almost unwilling to tackle. Ask the 2004 Indy Colts...

Last edited:
shmessy said:
I'm happy you're excited. Let's not blow the Megabucks lottery ticket money within the first week, OK?
:D Great line, Shmessy!

Kdo5 said:
You are such a joke. Why does Maroney get the yard he does? He is 21, he has outstanding speed, outstanding acceleration. Dillon is in his 30's and no longer has that. If Dillon keeps runnign 6 and 7 yards each play, hand the ball off to him 75% of the time and we will win. First down, first down, first down, first down. The chains would be flying down field. A nice long drive with hard running and hard fought yards. Maroney eventually isnt going to get a hole and will be swarmed under sometimes, Dillon is able to pound it at them and drive people back and pick up extra yards. Dont get me wrong Maroney is a tough dude but Dillon is very intimidating with his size, and toughness. Again you fail to understand Dillon wears down defenses with his running. Give the ball to Maroney all game. He'll do great, get big yards but the defense isnt going to be falling on its back, fatigued and bruised up. Almost unwilling to tackle. Ask the 2004 Indy Colts...

Finally someone gets it!

Last edited:
Let me thank everyone on this thread who has verbally abused me for voicing my opinion about the Patriots. Thanks. Very classy.

I guess thinking that Dillon did well Sunday bc of great o-line blocking and that our young 1st round RB would have gotten more yardage with most of those holes makes me an idiot.

Sorry.

tombonneau said:
Let me thank everyone on this thread who has verbally abused me for voicing my opinion about the Patriots. Thanks. Very classy.

I guess thinking that Dillon did well Sunday bc of great o-line blocking and that our young 1st round RB would have gotten more yardage with most of those holes makes me an idiot.

Sorry.
Oh yeah well since Dillon doesnt deserve credit his offensive line does...at the same time you can take credit away from Maroney because he aint breakin' 20 yarders without anyone throwing good blocks for him.

Kdo5 said:
Oh yeah well since Dillon doesnt deserve credit his offensive line does...at the same time you can take credit away from Maroney because he aint breakin' 20 yarders without anyone throwing good blocks for him.

Well, if you aren't willing to concede that once a Pats RB hits an open hole and is at the LB level that LM with his quickness and moves is a better RB than Dillon then I guess we're at an impasse.

IMO it is a backs ability to make moves at that 2nd level of defense that is the difference between an 8 yard run and a 50 yard run.

And IMO, when a game is still in hand, the Pats are better suited with that sort of explosiveness touching the ball.

With a lead, by all means pound Dillon.

Anyway, agree to disagree. I'd just prefer it be done with a little more civility. But then again, it is just the Internet. ;)

tombonneau said:

Sorry.
I don't think you're an idiot, i just think you're a bit quick to assume that Maroney would have been more effective than Dillon, who is a proven commodity, and a seasoned veteran. I'm sure you can understand why some of us are like "whoa, slow down dude".
For the record, I'm a big Dillon fan, but I LOVE what I've seen of Maroney as well.

tombonneau said:
Well, if you aren't willing to concede that once a Pats RB hits an open hole and is at the LB level that LM with his quickness and moves is a better RB than Dillon then I guess we're at an impasse.

IMO it is a backs ability to make moves at that 2nd level of defense that is the difference between an 8 yard run and a 50 yard run.

And IMO, when a game is still in hand, the Pats are better suited with that sort of explosiveness touching the ball.

With a lead, by all means pound Dillon.

Anyway, agree to disagree. I'd just prefer it be done with a little more civility. But then again, it is just the Internet. ;)
With a game still in hand for the other team with some minutes to go you use Dillon and no one else to get you first downs. You cant honestly compare Dillon and Maroney. They are two completely different runners. Why should Dillon try to make Kevin Faulk jukes when the defense isnt going to buy it. He'll just run over them into them. Whatever. The difference between an 8 yard run and a 50 yard run is this. A 50 yard run usually comes once in a game. Eight yard runs can happen any play if you have an RB like Dillon in the fourth quarter. Thats the difference. You cant just trust that when the games on the line the rookies going to burst a 60 yard run from nowhere. Geez...I'm so caught up in defending Dillon in this pointless thread that I feel like I'm trashing Maroney....

I have one question and while it's a very simple question, I have little doubt that people are going to make it complicated. Why is it not possible to disagree on here without posters calling other people stupid, idiots or trolls? We're all Patriots fans, is it so wrong that some have different opinions about our own team than others?

Alk said:
I have one question and while it's a very simple question, I have little doubt that people are going to make it complicated. Why is it not possible to disagree on here without posters calling other people stupid, idiots or trolls? We're all Patriots fans, is it so wrong that some have different opinions about our own team than others?
I havent called anyone stupid or a joke until now in this thread. IMO, this is just another person hoping to put Maroney on the thrown so we can see a 50 yarder here and there. Hes not gonna do it every down. Corey plays a fantastic game and what he gets is..."MARONEY SHOULD START. PERIOD."

I think the topic title says it all. Not a well thought our post, and he comes off sounding like a Maroney bandwagoner because he looks flashy and Corey Dillon "only" gets 8 yard gains.

Again I think Maroney is great but the whole "Dillon isnt near as good as Maroney" stuff is ridiculous. They are two completely different backs. Corey looked better than he has in that game ever since the 2004 playoffs. Thats how much he rebounded from last year.

Kdo5 said:
I havent called anyone stupid or a joke until now in this thread. IMO, this is just another person hoping to put Maroney on the thrown so we can see a 50 yarder here and there. Hes not gonna do it every down. Corey plays a fantastic game and what he gets is..."MARONEY SHOULD START. PERIOD."

I think the topic title says it all. Not a well thought our post, and he comes off sounding like a Maroney bandwagoner because he looks flashy and Corey Dillon "only" gets 8 yard gains.

Again I think Maroney is great but the whole "Dillon isnt near as good as Maroney" stuff is ridiculous. They are two completely different backs. Corey looked better than he has in that game ever since the 2004 playoffs. Thats how much he rebounded from last year.
Nobody here has said the Dillon looked bad. I still like the guy and think it's great he's turned things around. I still look at the facts, the guy is at the end of his career. I think the fewer carries we give him the more effective he's going to be. Let the young legs take up more of the load.

Alk said:
Nobody here has said the Dillon looked bad. I still like the guy and think it's great he's turned things around. I still look at the facts, the guy is at the end of his career. I think the fewer carries we give him the more effective he's going to be. Let the young legs take up more of the load.
No indeed, no one ever said he looked bad. But this thread starter said he wasnt good enough. 8 yard carries and killing the clock just doesnt cut it does it?

Looking at the bold text...ok so watching yesterdays game how do you come away with such a conclusion that he is on the decline? He looked like he was on a dramatic incline from last season.

Yeah, its a weird mentality on this board, if you like one guy it must mean you hate the other. Was same with Brady/Bledsoe.

Just because I think Maroney is better than Dillon doesn't mean I think Dillon sucks. In fact, I believe I was with the minority this offseason in thinking we'd be fine going into 06 with Dillon at Rb.

Sorry if my post wasn't well thought out as I furiously typed it in 60 seconds when I started work this morning. I just wanted to get some dialogue going on the RB position, which is prob. why my thoughts/feeling weren't well articulated or interpreted.

tombonneau said:
Yeah, its a weird mentality on this board, if you like one guy it must mean you hate the other. Was same with Brady/Bledsoe.

Just because I think Maroney is better than Dillon doesn't mean I think Dillon sucks. In fact, I believe I was with the minority this offseason in thinking we'd be fine going into 06 with Dillon at Rb.

Sorry if my post wasn't well thought out as I furiously typed it in 60 seconds when I started work this morning. I just wanted to get some dialogue going on the RB position, which is prob. why my thoughts/feeling weren't well articulated or interpreted.
Don't beat yourself up over it. lol You're not the only one who's psyched about Maroney, that's for sure.

Heh, BB has five good backs, and when Mills gets some seasoning...I don't care who starts, I just want to see each messing with the defense in their own special way.

tombonneau said:

You are a fool. I don't know why I'm even reading this?????

All I know is that when Dillon checks in, linebackers wince. And that's good enough for me.

The kid has played one game and is still learning! What if he fumbles twice next game and misses a blitz responsibility and Brady gets his head knocked off? Then what do you say?
I realize that this is a discussion board but its truly one of the kind of threads in terms of its logic that makes me yearn for the days when there were less members here and that those who were here had a better grip on team and the NFL in general.
It's been one game!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back