PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney should start. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see absolutely no legitimate reason to bench Dillon and have Maroney take full running duties. Dillon BEAT UP the defense on Sunday and Maroney would rip through the holes for big gains after the defense was already worn down by Dillon.

The two compliment eachother PERFECTLY. I'm loving the duo. 183 Rushing yards last game. Why change it?

And yes, I'd rather not run down the rookie in his first year when we already have a very good RB on our team.

patsfan13 said:
What happened on 4th & 2 2min to go?

Dillon smashmouth first down by 2 yds.

This sin't an either or situation both add bvalue, use both as needed to make the team better.

Exactly. Methinks we have some Fantasy Football kids trying to make some analyses and they are waaaaaayyy out of their (Fantasy) League.

There's Fantasy Football and then there's The National Football League.

I love Maroney, but this thread is odd I think.
I mean, when you consider that Dillon PLAYED HIS ***** OFF.

I did not like DIllon last year. He was too frustrating. But the way he pushed for those yards yesterday rejuvinated my love for him. He's the man.

I think everyone is getting carried away (imagine that). Nobody is saying we should set Dillon on the bench and let him rot for the rest of his career. Some of us just feel that Maroney right now is the bigger threat out of the backfield which whether you want to agree or disagree is a valid point. I wouldn't cut Dillon's carries by much, maybe something like 60-40 giving Dillon all of the short yardage and goalline work.

I think 60-40 is a legit. Either way, we have a FABULOUS running situation this year. I'm so excited to see it the rest of the season.

Alk said:
I think everyone is getting carried away (imagine that). Nobody is saying we should set Dillon on the bench and let him rot for the rest of his career. Some of us just feel that Maroney right now is the bigger threat out of the backfield which whether you want to agree or disagree is a valid point. I wouldn't cut Dillon's carries by much, maybe something like 60-40 giving Dillon all of the short yardage and goalline work.
Enlighten me, why would Maroney get more carries then Dillon. Isnt Dillon the one who wears down defense and hits them harder then they hit him? Isnt he the one who gets the first downs in the fourth quarter when we need them so badly. In that case Dillon would get more carries.

Also how is Dillon not a threat? Are you serious? Maroney has break away speed and is definitley a threat. Dillon is just as much of a threat when coming right at you between the tackles. LBs may even be worried sometimes that they will be the ones knocked over and trucked by this unusually big sturdy tough running back. You can ask me, who had more hard fought yards on Sunday? They both had hard fought yards. Put into consideration Dillon doesnt have near the break away speed of Maroney does not have very good agility anymore. What he depends on is hard running, something he did not have last year with the high ankle sprain throughout the season. Yesterday Maroney got 2 more carries then Dillon. I like Maroney, he is great and all. And I appreciate and totally respect Dillon and admire his running, I admired it Sunday it was his best rushing in a year, better then any game from last year. But there were quite a few people who were down on Dillon and thought he sucked now. He doesnt but he wont get too much of the high light reels I will tell you that much but if we get far in the playoffs or make the SB, I'm sure Dillon will have played a major roll in it.

Dillon's best game comes against the Colts. After watching what the Giants RBs did to the Colts D, I feel confident our running game will run all over them.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but

Dillon softens up the D

Maroney is a better runner with a power runner in front of him. What's wrong with 150 on the ground. What's wrong with Dillon running out the clock.

Leave things as they are!

You say that the long runs are a part of it which they are and give him another 10 carries and he will break another one. Have you heard of 3 and out? Ball control? It only takes 3 runs with minimal gains to punt the ball !!! So lets give it to him 9 times in 3 different series and hope the other team doesnt score. But after the other team has scored no worries because the 10th one he might break. The way it was set up last game was perfect.....

shmessy said:
Completely disagree. Dillon was very effective yesterday and Maroney NEEDS him as a complement.

A baseball pitcher who throws 98 MPH fastballs can get lit up if he doesn't have a decent curve and slider to keep the opposition on its toes.

A boxer who slugs only at the head, without body punching will find himself on the canvas soon enough.

Dillon pounded and punished the inside of that Buffalo D yesterday. Maroney has never played a 16 game season (let alone 19 games including the playoffs).

I'm happy you're excited. Let's not blow the Megabucks lottery ticket money within the first week, OK?

I totally agree with this comment,Quote,"
Dillon pounded and punished the inside of that Buffalo D yesterday. Maroney has never played a 16 game season (let alone 19 games including the playoffs). "...End Quote.HAD DILLION NOT PLAYED.I wonder If Maroney would have had the same success.Granted,I know the kid is a stud.But In all honesty Corey Dillion is one STRONG SOB.Im 6' 235,And I believe Dillion would knock me on my ass if i had to take a hit from him.No questions asked.He does do a darn nice job of weakening those Dlines and making those LB's sore.So WE NEED Dillion to share carries.Hell,with those two in there.Staying injury free.We Could EASILY have two 1000 yard rushers.Come on now,I cant even remember if at all the last time we did that.

Good god, you'd think I am suggesting that Dillon be taken out behind Gillette and put down. Chill out people.

I'm saying, the explosiveness from this offense clearly will come from the ground game. Maroney is the most explosive and should thus touch it more.

Yes, I suggested a ratio where Maroney gets the majority of reps, but again, despite what posters would like to think ;) I'm not an idiot.

If we are looking to ice the clock like last week, and pick up a hard two, Dillon should be on the field. I dont expect BB to have a sliding chart where he is figuring out who should play based on a carry ratio. Sorry, thought that would be obvious.

But if we are in the middle of a close game, and its 1st and 10, Maroney and not Dillon should be on the field. Period.

Let's put it this way: Rright now, in a 7-7 game in the 2nd Quarter, are the Patriots a better offense with Dillon or Maroney on the field? I believe the answer is Maroney. Therefore I believe he should be getting the majority of carries.

And also, re: Dillon "punishing defenders", its not like Maroney is Warrick Dunn when he smacks into guys.

Displaced - Fan said:
The point of my post is that LoMo on average only got 2.6 ypc. Yes if he got 5 more carries he MIGHT have ripped off other. Given enough carries he would have for sure. Yet it is MORE likely he would have only gotten 2.6ypc the next 5. Where as Dillion would have MOST likely gotten 4.5. You win games with consistantsy, not maybe's.

I do believe LoMo will be a great back, but right now he is very inconsistant and still learning the system. Dillion should for sure be the main back IMHO.

I am a Gopher and Maroney fan, but don't really want to join the debate. I just had to say that many fans use this sort of logic of getting rid of Maroney's longest runs, but he constantly has them, and you can't just remove them to have a better argument. LoMo DID NOT average only 2.6 ypc, it is not more likely that he would have gotten 2.6 ypc the next 5 as opposed to Dillon would MOST likely get 4.5. These aren't two runs that are rare and should be thrown out for the sake of validity, those runs are what he brings to the table, and he is a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. His ypc will even out throughout the season if indeed the long runs are a fluke, but you can't simply remove them here for your argument, because they have been a consistent part of his game throughout his career. So if he is averaging 5ypc or whatever, you have to assume that if you gave it to him 3 straight times, you would pick up 15 yards.

"you win games with consistency, not maybe's," you are basing your argument on hypotheticals by removing certain runs that inflate his average. Those are maybe's. You make your arguments with logic, not consistencies.

That was not the way I wanted to make my first post on here, but that was the only post that got me enough motivation to register. As an aside to my rant, I think that Dillon and Maroney are right where they need to be. It seems very similar to the Barber/Maroney situation which worked out very well for them. Maroney is a stud, but he doesn't need to get all the work, and likely works better when he doesnt.

Can ANYONE tell me why BB needs to apportion %'s to his running backs?

Why can't he just use them according to the SITUATION?

Do we REALLY need a Randy Ratio?

This percentage apportionment talk is piffle.

I think splitting the carries is smarter long term through the season. The less carries Maroney has, the more explosive he will be in January when we really need it.

I think the numbers both backs got Sunday is very smart.

Remember the wall Deion Branch hit in his rookie year? He was the offensive rookie of the year through midseason then just turned to nothing.

Dillon proved yesterday that he deserves to be more than just a tough 2 yard RB.

Honestly, what sounds easier: Gaining 25 yards after coming off the sidelines fresh, or gaining 25 yards on your 6th consecutive carry?

Maybe later in the year we lean more on Maroney if he continues to shine and Dillon begins to struggle. However, with the way they both played, splitting the carries seems best for right now.

tombonneau said:
But if we are in the middle of a close game, and its 1st and 10, Maroney and not Dillon should be on the field. Period.

What if the Pats are facing a very quick but undersized D whom Dillon could better bulldoze on a rainy muddy field? Don't you think BB would use Dillon much more in that situation?

Just saying "Close game 1st and 10, Maroney, not Dillon, should be on the field. Period." doesn't take into effect the entire game conditions. The NFL is a little more complex than the Fantasy Football League on your computer.

As BB repeats ad nauseum on those NFL Films: "Fellas, it all comes down to SITUATIONAL football. Situations, situations, situations....".

If you haven't seen that miked clip of him in 2005 TC, you've missed the essence of his coaching philosophy.

tombonneau said:
Given the passing game sitaution, IMO, Maroney needs to start and get the majority of carries, not split 50/50 with Dillon.

Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

And with the passing game not lighting it up, Pats can't afford the opportunity cost of yardage left on the table if Maroney is not in the game.

I'm not saying 30 carries a game, I think you want to be careful he doesn't hit the rookie wall, but he needs 20-25 touches a game. Put Dillon in to spell him and for short yardage, and still work Faulk in, but the ground game needs to start & end with Maroney.
bring the rookie along slowly, rookies bodies usually break down half way through the season(ie. cadillac williams)

shmessy said:
What if the Pats are facing a very quick but undersized D whom Dillon could better bulldoze on a rainy muddy field? Don't you think BB would use Dillon much more in that situation?

Just saying "Close game 1st and 10, Maroney, not Dillon, should be on the field. Period." doesn't take into effect the entire game conditions. The NFL is a little more complex than the Fantasy Football League on your computer.

As BB repeats ad nauseum on those NFL Films: "Fellas, it all comes down to SITUATIONAL football. Situations, situations, situations....".

If you haven't seen that miked clip of him in 2005 TC, you've missed the essence of his coaching philosophy.

Right. Agreed. But this is a "messageboard" where we talk about our teams in abstract. Sorry I don't have the time to list out the 350 football scenarios that Dillon & LM would be involved in and who should be on the field for each of those scenarios.

Ok, let me try it again: If God forbid one of these RBs has to go down in week 2 and is out for the season, which RB would the team be better off with for the rest of the season?

Again, IMO, the clear answer is they would better with Maroney.

Me and my fantasy team says start "The Beatdown Guy" to wear 'em out, especially at the goalline :)

tombonneau said:
Right. Agreed. But this is a "messageboard" where we talk about our teams in abstract. Sorry I don't have the time to list out the 350 football scenarios that Dillon & LM would be involved in and who should be on the field for each of those scenarios.

Ok, let me try it again: If God forbid one of these RBs has to go down in week 2 and is out for the season, which RB would the team be better off with for the rest of the season?

Again, IMO, the clear answer is they would better with Maroney.
With all due respect, that's a very big assumption, considering Maroney has played 1 game, and Dillon is a possible HOFer.

skri65 said:
I did not like DIllon last year. He was too frustrating. But the way he pushed for those yards yesterday rejuvinated my love for him. He's the man.

CD had a high anckle spain and the O-line was a bandaid. You'd have to be blind not to realize this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes