PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney debate threads (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For every person sick of Maroney bashers, there are three people sick of Maroney's defenders. How many seasons until you admit he was a bust as RB. OTOH, I do like the idea of keeping him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a role player, and for ST.

The one difference being Maroney defenders have tangible evidence to buttress their points, whereas Maroney detractors have...well, nothing.

I know Green-Ellis was playing the second stringers, but the guy has power and speed when he runs and Maroney was less than impressive tonight so I say, and I may be going out on a limb here, make BJGE the starting RB or at least get a majority of the carries with Morris...let Maroney fight for scraps...

I think I could've run through the holes BJGE had last nite. Maroney is a legitimate starting RB, BJGE is a JAG. Let's stop the nonsense.

Taylor will be in there somewhere, but from what we've seen so far Morris has been our most reliable back and BJGE seems to be making great progress for an undrafted player...I'm just saying we should just try starting BJGE and it it doesn't work out, go to a different RB...why not? It's only preseason...

Taylor will be the starter. He didnt even play because BB already sees in camp how much better he is then the other backs. So he just lets the other RB's fight it out for 2nd and 3rd spots :D

Well, atleast thats how I interpret it :)

Last edited:
The think people are over looking is Maroney has never been good against a good defense...at the end of 07 in the last 6 games (including playoffs) he had 4 100 yard games and to games where he was shut down...the two games were against the Giants' D...last night, the Eagles had a banged up defense and he still looked average at best out there...just give BJGE a chance, if he bombs, go back to Maroney...

I missed where other running backs don't run worse against good defenses. Do you have any examples of Running Backs who don't play worse against good defenses?

In all fairness to Morris he does well against first stringers during the regular season too.

Nobody said that he isn't serviceable. Because he is. But it's a PROVEN fact that more of his runs have gone for losses than Maroney's. The Maroney defenders are trying to understand why people bash Maroney for every loss he has but worship the ground that Morris walks on and refuse to acknowledge the statistics. :confused:

For every person sick of Maroney bashers, there are three people sick of Maroney's defenders. How many seasons until you admit he was a bust as RB. OTOH, I do like the idea of keeping him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a role player, and for ST.

If he's a bust then we're in trouble in the running game considering that Morris is no better, Faulk is best a third down running back, and Fred Taylor has a substantial amount of tread on his tires. :rolleyes:

I missed where other running backs don't run worse against good defenses. Do you have any examples of Running Backs who don't play worse against good defenses?

Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk have played good against tough defense in their time here...they were the lone bright spots in that game against Pittsburgh last year...

The think people are over looking is Maroney has never been good against a good defense...at the end of 07 in the last 6 games (including playoffs) he had 4 100 yard games and to games where he was shut down...the two games were against the Giants' D...last night, the Eagles had a banged up defense and he still looked average at best out there...just give BJGE a chance, if he bombs, go back to Maroney...

Yeah, I mean he's never rushed well in big games against good defenses except in 2007 where he was arguably the MVP of the first two rounds of the playoffs and had back-to-back 120 yard, 1 TD games (averaging 5 yards per carry) against two of the best rushing defenses in the league in the Chargers and the Jaguars.

When Maroney's healthy he's a very good running back; but patsfans.com loves its 'dancing with the stars' joke... so clever, patsfans.com, you should be totally smug because that's a hilarious joke. Just conveniently ignore the fact that his career rushing average is higher than Reggie Bush, Joseph Addai, and LenDale White of the notables from his draft class.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean he's never rushed well in big games against good defenses except in 2007 where he was arguably the MVP of the first two rounds of the playoffs and had back-to-back 120 yard, 1 TD games (averaging 5 yards per carry) against two of the best rushing defenses in the league in the Chargers and the Jaguars.

When Maroney's healthy he's a very good running back; but patsfans.com loves its 'dancing with the stars' joke... so clever, patsfans.com, you should be totally smug because that's a hilarious joke. Just conveniently ignore the fact that his career rushing average is higher than Reggie Bush, Joseph Addai, and LenDale White of the notables from his draft class.

:rocker: Excellent post.

Yes he did, but unlike Maroney, he had some great plays as well. Every RB gets stuffed, even Adrian Peterson, its the good plays out weighing the bad.

Can you firmly say Maroney has more good plays then bad?

Yes, and that's more true for him than any other RB on the roster, which the stats back up.

Last edited:
Taylor will be the starter. He didnt even play because BB already sees in camp how much better he is then the other backs. So he just lets the other RB's fight it out for 2nd and 3rd spots :D

Well, atleast thats how I interpret it :)

BINGO!! At least someone gets it.

Maroney plays out the last year of his contract, mostly as the #1 KR, + insurance against injuries to the top three RB - Taylor, Morris, and Faulk. I'd like to see BJGE make the team but I side with Reiss on this one - that we keep 4 TE and 4 RB.

To be fair, no one was really running on the Giant's D that year. Maroney did run well against two good defenses in the playoffs that year. He especially showed some power in the SD game where he broke off tackles for extra yards. In my eyes, he proved himself a number 1 running back in the NFL during that stretch. However, he still needs to prove himself that he can stay healthy. But if he is healthy, its no question he should be THE guy starting and getting the bulk of the carries.

Also, I think Deus mentioned this earlier, Maroney should be given more opportunities to have the ball in space. For someone as dynamic and explosive as he is, the Pats inexplicably are reluctant to run plays for him where he can operate in space. In 07, he had limited opportunity to have the ball in space but when he did, he excelled.

I pretty much guarantee you that's not how the depth chart is going to shake out.

Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk have played good against tough defense in their time here...they were the lone bright spots in that game against Pittsburgh last year...

Sammy Morris, in his one (patriots ) career game against the Steelers, had 10 carries for 44 yards and a touchdown.

1st and goal from the 2 : TD : success
1st and 10 from the 50: 3 yds : fail
1st & 10 NE 26: 8 Yards: success
2nd & 2 NE 34 : 3 Yds Success
1st & 10 NE 40 : 2 yds: fail
4th & 1 pitt 21 : 2 yds: success
2nd & 7 Pitt 23: 14yds success
1st & 10 NE 47: 6yds success
2nd & 4 pitt 47: 2 yds fail
1st & 10 Ne 45: 2 yds fail

60% success, which is pretty decent, 4.4 ypc, also decent. May have been morris's best game of his career (has a NE career success rate in the low 40s.)

Maroney's career success rate is 59%, and his career YPC is 4.3x. Yeah, thats right, Maroney's career averages are right along with what may be one of Morris's best games.

It's too early to "demote" Maroney.

He's better than people really get to see.

I know Green-Ellis was playing the second stringers, but the guy has power and speed when he runs and Maroney was less than impressive tonight so I say, and I may be going out on a limb here, make BJGE the starting RB or at least get a majority of the carries with Morris...let Maroney fight for scraps...

You're so far out on that limb that someone ought to call the fire department to help you down. :rolleyes:

I am not saying that Maroney did not produce in 2007, but another factor people forget was how teams feared our passing offense. With 6 men backfields, he should get 5 yards a carry......

Yes, and, if Maroney is our 1st string RB, shouldn't he atleast get some yards against the 1st string defense?

Yes, and Maroney DID get some yards against the 1st string Defense. Maybe you should go back and look at the 6 running plays they ran with him. In 3 of them, the O-line didn't actually get a hole open for him.

In the other 3, he got to the holes that were there. But, You'd rather just spew garbage and untruths

I am not saying that Maroney did not produce in 2007, but another factor people forget was how teams feared our passing offense. With 6 men backfields, he should get 5 yards a carry......

But by that argument, so should Morris, and Maroney consistently gets more yards than Morris, in every situation. Hrm?

And thats not even considering the fact that the team throws a lot less when Maroney is on the field than when Morris is on the field, so he gets less advantage from "fear of the pass"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference