PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney debate threads (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, because that's incredibly poor logic.

How do you explain Morris getting stuffed twice in a row?

Yes he did, but unlike Maroney, he had some great plays as well. Every RB gets stuffed, even Adrian Peterson, its the good plays out weighing the bad.

Can you firmly say Maroney has more good plays then bad?

I know Green-Ellis was playing the second stringers, but the guy has power and speed when he runs and Maroney was less than impressive tonight so I say, and I may be going out on a limb here, make BJGE the starting RB or at least get a majority of the carries with Morris...let Maroney fight for scraps...

No love for Taylor? smh

Just want to say this is an unfair, short-sighted and silly post, imo. Trying to be nice and patient at the beginning of the year, though, so let's say we all take a breath and get a little perspective.

I think Maroney is a good back and that the pats would regret letting him go......

that said, it just seems that the playlist is like 3 plays long when he's in there......

back in 2007, he caught only 4 passes........but they went for 12,25,36, and 43 yards......why? because teams are so convinced that the pats aren't going to do that, so it catches them off guard

he's proven a viable target in the passing game.......just not sure why don't use that more in order to open up the running game when he's in there

thanks, that's good data. I noticed that he was open just past the line of scrimmage on the Brady INT as well. But, I guess the rebuttal argument is that he is supposed to be "the running game when he's in there." But what you say does seem to make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I hope Box will forgive me, but I'm just so tired of the anti-Maroney nonsense after one bloody exhibition game that I'm going to quote some of his work from another location in the futile hope that some of the people who insist on bashing the guy without actually knowing what they are talking about will either accept the observations of a quality poster like Box, or will at least be inspired to actually take the time to look at the plays:

Where is BoR posting his game breakdown? His and Pats1 game analyses are the best thing going here, but I can't find this.

Where is BoR posting his game breakdown? His and Pats1 game analyses are the best thing going here, but I can't find this.

ditto on that, Deus. where does he post it?

Yes he did, but unlike Maroney, he had some great plays as well. Every RB gets stuffed, even Adrian Peterson, its the good plays out weighing the bad.

Yeah, I can. His superior YPC, and the fact that hes got one of the lowest rates IN THE NFL of getting stopped behind the LOS pretty much proves that.

I can't believe these threads continue to get so much serious feedback. At least APV's are amusing.

I haven't seen the game, but this is crazy talk. Maroney's proven that he can be a legit #1 RB if he stays healthy and if he gets a chance to run. He was great his first year before he got hurt, carried this team late in his second season after he got healthy and was unfortunately hurt early last year. He's a stud when healthy and all signs this year has him all healthy and ready to go. Lawfirm is a nice story, but let's not get carried away here.

I know Green-Ellis was playing the second stringers, but the guy has power and speed when he runs and Maroney was less than impressive tonight so I say, and I may be going out on a limb here, make BJGE the starting RB or at least get a majority of the carries with Morris...let Maroney fight for scraps...
Kyle Eckel, Patrick Cobbs

Can you firmly say that Brady should have been replaced after the San Diego game in 2001?

What is it with you guys making personnel decisions based on the latest game?

And here I thought the nutty season was over.

Yes.

I thought last year was the year for LM to break out, early injury and learning about the shoulder disrupted that. While I think it is way too early to call for him being benched/cut/traded, I do think he looks as trepid as ever when hitting small holes or trying to power the line forward.

I hated it when we didn't bring Dillon back for one more year. He still had some gas in the tank, and I think he would have made Maroney a stronger runner mentally. Maroney has skills, nobody would ever deny that....but he has shown for awhile now that when hitting the line he doesn't explode.

Now, in all fairness, he is coming off injury and this is pre-season. That being said I think this is the year to show development, and if he still looks the same by week 6 this season as he did week 6 of year 2........

LaMa's vision is inadequate for a #1 RB on a SB contender. He stays inside when he should bounce outside, and he stays outside when he should cut inside.

Do Law Firm & Morris have superior vision? Maybe, maybe not. Morris isn't explosive enough to take advantage, anyway.

Does Faulk? Obviously yes, but he isn't an every-down-between-the-tackles runner.

Does Fred Taylor? Again, obviously yes, but how much of his explosiveness does he have left? I suppose that he's being saved for the real games, but I still wanted to see him last night.

I wish that the FO had taken a chance on Rashad Jennings with the 7th-rounder used for Darryl Richard.

For every person sick of Maroney bashers, there are three people sick of Maroney's defenders. How many seasons until you admit he was a bust as RB. OTOH, I do like the idea of keeping him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a role player, and for ST.

No love for Taylor? smh

Taylor will be in there somewhere, but from what we've seen so far Morris has been our most reliable back and BJGE seems to be making great progress for an undrafted player...I'm just saying we should just try starting BJGE and it it doesn't work out, go to a different RB...why not? It's only preseason...

I haven't seen the game, but this is crazy talk. Maroney's proven that he can be a legit #1 RB if he stays healthy and if he gets a chance to run. He was great his first year before he got hurt, carried this team late in his second season after he got healthy and was unfortunately hurt early last year. He's a stud when healthy and all signs this year has him all healthy and ready to go. Lawfirm is a nice story, but let's not get carried away here.

The think people are over looking is Maroney has never been good against a good defense...at the end of 07 in the last 6 games (including playoffs) he had 4 100 yard games and to games where he was shut down...the two games were against the Giants' D...last night, the Eagles had a banged up defense and he still looked average at best out there...just give BJGE a chance, if he bombs, go back to Maroney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes