PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney debate threads (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroney didn't look good last night, but all of this over 6 carries -- amazing.

For every person sick of Maroney bashers, there are three people sick of Maroney's defenders. How many seasons until you admit he was a bust as RB. OTOH, I do like the idea of keeping him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a role player, and for ST.

Sorry that you don't care for facts, Neuro. Maroney isn't a bust. But people like yourself just ignore facts, don't bother to actually learn about the game or take the time to watch what happens in the blocking when he's out there before blaming Maroney.

As I said, of the 6 running plays he was in, the O-line failed to open a hole on 3 of them.

As I said, of the 6 running plays he was in, the O-line failed to open a hole on 3 of them.

And he didn't lose yardage on any of those 3. (or any of the plays)

The think people are over looking is Maroney has never been good against a good defense...at the end of 07 in the last 6 games (including playoffs) he had 4 100 yard games and to games where he was shut down...the two games were against the Giants' D...last night, the Eagles had a banged up defense and he still looked average at best out there...just give BJGE a chance, if he bombs, go back to Maroney...

So, you are of the ignorant opinion that the 2007 failures against the Giants were all Maroney's fault and had nothing to do with the O-line not doing its job in run blocking? Unfortunately, that's just not the case. But I am not surprised you feel that way.

BTW, SD's run defense was ranked 16th and Jacksonville's was ranked 11th. Yet Maroney tore them up..

The Eagles had the #4 ranked run defense last year. And they weren't that banged up. Stewart, who is on the IR, was out as was Cole. But they still puts their top guys on the field except at MLB.

I thought Maroney looked good in camp and I thought he looked good last night, too. And clearly, I'll have to revise my hasty cutting of Faulk in my pre-preseason roster. I so think Law Firm could get on Sammy's heels for the "other" RB spot, though. Let's see a couple more games.

I hope Maroney returns some kicks next week. He looked very good in that role at the camp day I was at, and reports have been solid.

But no, Law Firm, though I'm rooting for him to win a roster spot, won't be swapped in for LoMo. No way, no how.

Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk have played good against tough defense in their time here...they were the lone bright spots in that game against Pittsburgh last year...

That's because Pittsburgh was giving the Pats the ground game since they were already up by a ton.. But I guess that doesn't make a difference to you.

I am not saying that Maroney did not produce in 2007, but another factor people forget was how teams feared our passing offense. With 6 men backfields, he should get 5 yards a carry......

Umm.. Teams weren't going with 6 DBs when Maroney was on the field. That's what you don't understand..

Is Maroney worthy as starting RB?

I just had to. I want to see Patsfanforum member view on this. Simple. Yes or No.

Re: Is Maroney worthy as starting RB?

Yes. But I don't think it really matters as we'll be at least 4 deep in solid RB's.

Maroney is not on a team that focuses on 1 primary RB, this is a committee group and for the unforseeable future will continue to be so

I just had to. I want to see Patsfanforum member view on this. Simple. Yes or No.

Another person to put on ignore. The list is growing at an astounding rate this offseason.

"Worthy"? In a metaphysical sense? A strangely existential question for a football board. :p

Leave the man alone. BB has mentioned that Maroney produces when he's had the chance, and I like the way the kid runs. He works hard to understand what he's supposed to do, and he often transforms a deleterious turn of events into a respectable gain. Every once in a while, he also manages to break off a big play that swings the momentum into our favor. Have you all forgotten '07 already? *shakes head sadly*

Nobody cares about your ignore list.

Seriously man, keep things to yourself nobody cares bro.

Moss dropped a crucial screen yesterday. Demote him and let's ride with Lewis I haven't seen him mess up yet.

Maroney did his silly dance on his first carry, but looked good on his next two. I didn't see his last 3.

I just want to see him do well.

Sorry that you don't care for facts, Neuro. Maroney isn't a bust. But people like yourself just ignore facts, don't bother to actually learn about the game or take the time to watch what happens in the blocking when he's out there before blaming Maroney.

Did the O line also forget to grab his hand and pull him forward? Did they forget to say "Here boy, right here, right here, come on, come on, there you go! good boy good boy, thats a good boy! thats a good boy!"

I am not going to get into this Maroney debate because its a waste of time ..BUT

Are you saying that every great RB had a great O line who constantly opened holes for him? - Great running backs MAKE holes and opportunities when there are none,That seperates the men from the boys - Ask HOFs like Barry Sanders who ran behind a horrid Lions line or guys like Corey Dillon when he was in Cincy of how the O-Line was no help MUCH of the time.

Maroney takes advantage of what is given to him and not much more,that is what seperates average backs from great ones.

When Maroney has a good game the offensive line plays well,When guys like Adrian Peterson play well it usually does not matter much,he still gets his share of yards even if the O-Line is off its productivity.

Last edited:
I am not going to get into this Maroney debate because its a waste of time ..BUT

Are you saying that every great RB had a great O line who constantly opened holes for him? - Great running backs MAKE holes and opportunities when there are none,That seperates the men from the boys - Ask HOFs like Barry Sanders who ran behind a horrid Lions line or guys like Corey Dillon when he was in Cincy of how the O-Line was no help MUCH of the time.

Maroney takes what is given to him and not much more,that is what seperates average backs from great ones.

Barry Sanders is probably one of the 5 greatest running backs ever to play the game. Here's a little tidbit about him, from NFL.com:

With 1,114 total yards lost during his ten year career, former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders is the NFL's all-time leader in negative yardage.

NFL Videos: Barry Sanders Backward Runs

The people complaining about Maroney should go look at all the play-by-play for the 2007 season and count both the total number of negative yardage runs AND the total negative yardage for Maroney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey