PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney debate threads (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss dropped a crucial screen yesterday. Demote him and let's ride with Lewis I haven't seen him mess up yet.

Moss missing one pass in every 50 tries is okay. Maroney having one good performance every 5-6 games isn't good enough...he needs to step up asap or be ready to lose his starting job...

Barry Sanders is probably one of the 5 greatest running backs ever to play the game. Here's a little tidbit about him, from NFL.com:

NFL Videos: Barry Sanders Backward Runs

The people complaining about Maroney should go look at all the play-by-play for the 2007 season and count both the total number of negative yardage runs AND the total negative yardage for Maroney.

Yeah but even Barry Sanders would be called a bust and get accused of "being made of glass" on this God foresaken forum.

For all you people who question Maroney's toughness or say he is made of glass, I'd like to see you go out and try to play with a broken shoulder.

In 2007, Maroney played in 13 games. I counted the number of runs that went for negative yardage:

Jets - 0
Chargers - 0
Buffalo - 3
Miami - 0
Washington - 0
Indianapolis - 1
Buffalo - 1
Philadelphia - 3
Baltimore - 0
Pittsburgh - 1
Jets - 0
Miami - 2
Giants - 4

That's 15 negative yardage runs in 13 games and 185 carries (7%). In the meantime, for comparison's sake, Morris played in 6 games and had 8 runs for negative yardage in 85 carries (9%).

Last edited:
In 2007, Maroney played in 13 games. I counted the number of runs that went for negative yardage:

Jets - 0
Chargers - 0
Buffalo - 3
Miami - 0
Washington - 0
Indianapolis - 1
Buffalo - 1
Philadelphia - 3
Baltimore - 0
Pittsburgh - 1
Jets - 0
Miami - 2
Giants - 4

That's 15 negative yardage runs in 13 games and 185 carries (7%). In the meantime, for comparison's sake, Morris played in 6 games and had 8 runs for negative yardage in 85 carries (9%).

what those stats don't tell you is how many times Maroney was stopped at the line of scrimmage compared to Morris...

LaMa's vision is inadequate for a #1 RB on a SB contender. He stays inside when he should bounce outside, and he stays outside when he should cut inside.

Do Law Firm & Morris have superior vision? Maybe, maybe not. Morris isn't explosive enough to take advantage, anyway.

Does Faulk? Obviously yes, but he isn't an every-down-between-the-tackles runner.

Does Fred Taylor? Again, obviously yes, but how much of his explosiveness does he have left? I suppose that he's being saved for the real games, but I still wanted to see him last night.

I wish that the FO had taken a chance on Rashad Jennings with the 7th-rounder used for Darryl Richard.

finally.....a voice of reason......LoMo is what he is....period...You can't "re-wire" the guy and make him into something he is not. He danced at the line in college against the tough D's....and he will always do it when set up to run through a briefly opened hole....IMHO, He would be far better utilized like Faulk coming in sporadically/change of pace....and PLEASE....throw him the ball more on short passing routes where he can get some seperation.....Don't see him ever being a #1/every down RB for this team.

Last edited:
The think people are over looking is Maroney has never been good against a good defense...at the end of 07 in the last 6 games (including playoffs) he had 4 100 yard games and to games where he was shut down...the two games were against the Giants' D...last night, the Eagles had a banged up defense and he still looked average at best out there...just give BJGE a chance, if he bombs, go back to Maroney...

Agree.....as far as the law firm goes.....he looked pretty darned good last year!

I am not going to get into this Maroney debate because its a waste of time ..BUT

Are you saying that every great RB had a great O line who constantly opened holes for him? - Great running backs MAKE holes and opportunities when there are none,That seperates the men from the boys - Ask HOFs like Barry Sanders who ran behind a horrid Lions line or guys like Corey Dillon when he was in Cincy of how the O-Line was no help MUCH of the time.

Maroney takes advantage of what is given to him and not much more,that is what seperates average backs from great ones.

When Maroney has a good game the offensive line plays well,When guys like Adrian Peterson play well it usually does not matter much,he still gets his share of yards even if the O-Line is off its productivity.

good post....that is exactly what seperates the #1 pro bowl RB ....from the average....

Maroney is never going to look good in pre season games. Most of the running plays are off tackle plays and Maroney is not really an off tackle kind of guy. He can be when the linemen run stunts but he almost never does well without them.

I never really understood why Belichick wanted Maroney as he really is not a between the tackles kind of runner. He needs plays designed to his strenghts. He runs much better when he runs away from the strength of the line in front of him. I think he would be especially good if Belichick brought back the old pitch out to the RB play and Maroney could run around the tackles rather than between them.

We're not a running team and we're not going to be anytime soon. We're better off just signing veterans like Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris even if we have to sign new names every year. We can then utilize cap money in other areas on defense. If Maroney could bring us another 2nd round pick I would trade him and just add a veteran who gets cut from another team.

I really hate Maroney. The only thing that he is good at is dancing on the line. Can't wait until this bum is gone. The guy is mentally weak.

Agree.....as far as the law firm goes.....he looked pretty darned good last year!

He sure did. But I'll take the guy who looks like crap and rushes for 4.3 YPC over the guy who looks "pretty darned good" and delivers 3.7 YPC. :)

I really hate Maroney. The only thing that he is good at is dancing on the line. Can't wait until this bum is gone. The guy is mentally weak.

I'm going to coin a new term: The Maroney Illusion. It's when runs appear shorter than they really are because the RB's running style makes it look like he isn't running hard and could have gotten more.

he reminds me of a mini Earl Campbell with his thunder thighs.

There seem to be two separate debates.

Q1) Should Maroney continue to start?
I don't think Belichick is sold that Morris is a better starter. However, that is why Taylor was signed. Taylor should start. Morris did not not look great against Philly's backups. He should have if he were a legitimate starter.

Q2) Should Green-Ellis take Maroney roster spot?
BJGE did Ok against Philly's 4th stringers and that is enough for many to promote him to replace our starter on the roster. IMHO, BJGE will be on someone's Practice Squad this year.

BOTTOM LINE
Maroney is an inexpensive young RB prospect with two years left on his contract. We coould do a lot worse with our #4 RB roster spot.

I have historically been a Maroney critic. Not a fan.

But that being said, I'm not gonna hold last night against him.

He followed his blocks....he hit holes. He danced after there was absolutely NO DAYLIGHT.

Run blocking has never been the Pat's o-lines strong point.

I'm willing to give LoMo the benefit of the doubt after last night.

I don't think you can make a true evaluation after the 1st preseason game. I DO think Maroney will have to step it up if he expects to be the featured back in this offense. Fred Taylor will probably get most of the snaps early in the next game. Then we can start comparing the two of them.

\

Q2) Should Green-Ellis take Maroney roster spot?
BJGE did Ok against Philly's 4th stringers and that is enough for many to promote him to replace our starter on the roster. IMHO, BJGE will be on someone's Practice Squad this year..

Taylor rushed for 3.9 YPC last year while MJD rushed for 4.2. Fred Taylor is 33. I highly doubt Taylor will be the best RB on the roster. He looks like your typical post-30 RB who is just starting to fall apart.

Taylor rushed for 3.9 YPC last year while MJD rushed for 4.2. Fred Taylor is 33. I highly doubt Taylor will be the best RB on the roster. He looks like your typical post-30 RB who is just starting to fall apart.

I suspect Taylor is here to give Maroney a breather, and to be ready in the last quarter of the season, and into the playoffs. He's a solid back, but not an every-down back. He's the type of bowling ball to have around for those really hard to get yards, and to add support in the cold season.

And he's an excellent insurance policy in case one of the other backs foes down.

maroney haters...lol...come on now..he's our best rb, no ands, ifs, or buts about it

Yeah, and Cassel was the worst QB that Coach ever drafted........

Maroney bashers are a bunch of old hosers who really need to put down the kool-aid and get outdoors. There's fresh air, with lots of oxygen outside. You all could use some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back