PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney and Belichick hold weekly meetings to go over each run - Maroney's idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
While true, the problem with that argument is you always have the option of passing, even if you're QB sucks and you have a Barry Sanders caliber runner.

You always need a running back that can be consistent to get first downs, touchdowns and force the defense to respect that aspect of the running game.

Having one that can break a big run is a bonus. No running back on a successful team fails to consistently hit runs of 3-5 yards. Plodders do, and others that consistently can become complete runners.

Even though this clip is highlights, watch how often Sanders runs it up the gut without hesitating. Obviously, defenses have to respect his ability to run around the end too.

YouTube - Barry Sanders - Greatest of All Time

If defenses start packing inside against Mo, he'll kill them with sweeps too. NFL defenses are too good, you need to establish inside dominance to go outside with consistency.

I grew up near Detroit, so I saw a lot of Barry Sanders in his prime. He was a great back, and those were some awful Lions teams :p So I really enjoyed watching that clip.

Sanders did run it up the middle for a few yards often, but so do almost all backs in the NFL. That link I posted earlier showed some charts which showed the number of carries vs. the number of yards gained or lost. Interestingly, the numbers for guys like Peterson and Westbrook are amazingly similar to guys like Bettis and Jamal Lewis.

All 4 guys had the majority of runs in that 0-5 yards area, as do most backs. Peterson and Westbrook got caught behind the line a bit more often, but also were higher than NFL average in longer runs. They didn't chart Sanders, but Peterson is as close as there is in the NFL these days due to his explosiveness and high percentage of long runs.

The problem with those backfield losses is that they're often drive killers, especially for bad teams. Sanders would hit the hole hard, but he also did his share of dancing or reversing field, and often got caught for losses. Near the end of his career, many Detroit fans complained about his style as well. As if Lions fans had any right to complain about the way a HOF RB runs. But it just goes to show you that style of running will wear on anyone, even long-suffering Lions fans who will never see anyone half as good as Sanders play for them.

Last edited:
Even though this clip is highlights, watch how often Sanders runs it up the gut without hesitating. Obviously, defenses have to respect his ability to run around the end too.

YouTube - Barry Sanders - Greatest of All Time

Thanks for the clip. Pure poetry. There have been bigger, stronger, and faster backs in the NFL, but no one ever could touch Sanders for pure agility, balance, and ability to create a hole where none existed. Easily the GOAT that I ever saw in 40+ years. I missed Jim Brown and Gale Sayers in their prime, but no one else I ever saw compared.

I think the Pats fans booing Maroney loudly in that one home game in the early part of the season really woke him up to the fact that the fans demand more of a 1st rounder than what he had done prior to that.

Remember the next game when they played the Titans when he had that rare long scamper for the TD and once he got back on the sideline he screamed up into the crowd "Now boo that!" and has started his move to try and do better - those boos effected him in a positive way hopefully,Still he has a long ways to go IMO.

Last edited:
It's an approach that Maroney (654 yards on the season) says has been a result, in part, of those meetings with Belichick.

“His main thing is just run decisively, one cut and go. Don’t sit there and try to make too much happen," Maroney explained. "If there isn’t anything there, just try to get positive yards, just run with your eyes, run like you know what you want to do. Be decisive -- take a hole and hit it."
Maroney's weekly meeting with Belichick - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Maroney's definitely having a great season so far, on the field and off, I'm liking the way he thinks! Keep it up LoMo:rocker:

I think the Pats fans booing Maroney loudly in that one home game in the early part of the season really woke him up to the fact that the fans demand more of a 1st rounder than what he had done prior to that.

Remember the next game when they played the Titans when he had that rare long scamper for the TD and once he got back on the sideline he screamed up into the crowd "Now boo that!" and has started his move to try and do better - those boos effected him in a positive way hopefully,Still he has a long ways to go IMO.

My guess is that it woke him up to the fact that a lot of fans are idiots.

It definantly has changed him as a player, he's just playing with a chip on his shoulder. Ever since, once the man gets a hold of the ball his legs never stop moving. Maroney is no power back but he's becoming quite a ***** for defenders to take down.

I grew up near Detroit, so I saw a lot of Barry Sanders in his prime. He was a great back, and those were some awful Lions teams :p So I really enjoyed watching that clip.

Sanders did run it up the middle for a few yards often, but so do almost all backs in the NFL. That link I posted earlier showed some charts which showed the number of carries vs. the number of yards gained or lost. Interestingly, the numbers for guys like Peterson and Westbrook are amazingly similar to guys like Bettis and Jamal Lewis.

All 4 guys had the majority of runs in that 0-5 yards area, as do most backs. Peterson and Westbrook got caught behind the line a bit more often, but also were higher than NFL average in longer runs. They didn't chart Sanders, but Peterson is as close as there is in the NFL these days due to his explosiveness and high percentage of long runs.

The problem with those backfield losses is that they're often drive killers, especially for bad teams. Sanders would hit the hole hard, but he also did his share of dancing or reversing field, and often got caught for losses. Near the end of his career, many Detroit fans complained about his style as well. As if Lions fans had any right to complain about the way a HOF RB runs. But it just goes to show you that style of running will wear on anyone, even long-suffering Lions fans who will never see anyone half as good as Sanders play for them.

I'm not going to quote portions, but i think we're saying basically the same thing. All successful runners need to hit the whole hard and get what they can. If the blocking is good, they can get a big gain, or bounce it outside if the hole's not there.

Sanders was like Muhammed Ali in a way. He was so talented, he got away with stuff you tell a running back not to do (Ali would lean back from a punch, a no no he used because of his size and quickness).

Sanders could stop and run all the way across the field for some big runs. I imagine it stopped working later in his career. It's not a good idea, but if you're exceptional, you do it wrong and it comes out right.

As you mentioned (I think I posted it) except for a few long runs big plodders and fast backs have the same amount of 3-5 yard type runs. The advantage an offense has is they act and the defense reacts. The split second the blocking scheme is executed is when the offense has the advantage.
Dance around behind the line and that advantage is gone.

It definantly has changed him as a player, he's just playing with a chip on his shoulder. Ever since, once the man gets a hold of the ball his legs never stop moving. Maroney is no power back but he's becoming quite a ***** for defenders to take down.

I agree he's not a power back, but he does have the strength to really use power when needed. He has the potential to be a complete back because of that. Nice thing is he's only scratching the surface, because the bounce outs and sweeps will be more open now and he's great at the second level.

Just as a follow up, BB talked about this during his interview on the big show today, at about the 19:35 mark. He said that they've been meeting like this basically since Maroney was a rookie.

I really have to laugh sometimes when I come on this site.

All the Maroney haters are gone and he is having his worst ypc average of the three years he has played regularly.:D

I've always been a fan of LoMo, I just think its funny that in his worst full season statistically all these bashers are lauding the man.

Last edited:

If fans' opinions are the biggest motivating factor for an athlete, that athlete is in BIG trouble. Fact is, each one of us fans thinks about Maroney's game a few minutes out of the week. I guarantee you that LoMo is thinking about improving his game constantly and it has really started to show. In fact, I'm confident that he has been working very hard on his game since he came into the NFL (I remember reading an article a few years back about how he was working on his lean).

Pretty ridiculous to criticize the guy when he does poorly and then take credit for motivating him when he does well.

Thanks for the clip. Pure poetry. There have been bigger, stronger, and faster backs in the NFL, but no one ever could touch Sanders for pure agility, balance, and ability to create a hole where none existed. Easily the GOAT that I ever saw in 40+ years. I missed Jim Brown and Gale Sayers in their prime, but no one else I ever saw compared.

No one could juke like him, no doubt.

Seems to me Maroney looks for a hole to run thru, hesitates when it's not there, instead of burrowing one on his own. I.E. he seems to be looking for space to run in, not busting his own path with power. Which I can understand because he doesn't look big enough to bull his way thru tight spaces.

That said he seems to be giving it his all which is commendable. I would like to see him get the ball out in the flat more with a lane to run thru. He has plenty of speed, give him room to exploit it.... my .02

Maroney ran hard and pretty well in the last game. Results are what matter in the end. I'm glad he's consulting with BB though. That's a big step in the right direction.

I wonder what this week's meeting will be about...

I know people love the new smash-mouth style from Maroney. I love watching him blow guys up or drag a cornerback for a first down too. But the ball security issues are really becoming a problem.

From what I read the past week, he thought he was past the line, so maybe he relaxed for a second. But he fumbled on the goal line against the Colts as well. And he's never had fumbling issues prior to this season, so I'm thinking this new style is part of the problem. Another physical back with fumbling issues is Adrian Peterson, who coughed up the ball in OT to cost the Vikings the game against the Bears. The whole loss wasn't his fault, but it was a huge fumble.

Part of it is that defenders have gotten really good at stripping the ball away. And in situations like the goal line, they're able to stack up a runner and have several guys swarm the back to try and jar the ball loose. It's rarely a big hit that causes the fumble now.

I know everyone hated the old Maroney but I have to admit, I thought he was a better back before. Maybe he can find a middle-ground here.

I wonder what this week's meeting will be about...

I know people love the new smash-mouth style from Maroney. I love watching him blow guys up or drag a cornerback for a first down too. But the ball security issues are really becoming a problem.

From what I read the past week, he thought he was past the line, so maybe he relaxed for a second. But he fumbled on the goal line against the Colts as well. And he's never had fumbling issues prior to this season, so I'm thinking this new style is part of the problem. Another physical back with fumbling issues is Adrian Peterson, who coughed up the ball in OT to cost the Vikings the game against the Bears. The whole loss wasn't his fault, but it was a huge fumble.

Part of it is that defenders have gotten really good at stripping the ball away. And in situations like the goal line, they're able to stack up a runner and have several guys swarm the back to try and jar the ball loose. It's rarely a big hit that causes the fumble now.

I know everyone hated the old Maroney but I have to admit, I thought he was a better back before. Maybe he can find a middle-ground here.

Agreed, I like his hard charging style too, but you can't dribble a football.

It sounds like even BB thought he was doing to much dancing. Maroney kept saying how he was being told to be more decisive with his running style and cuts.

That echos the criticism he has received from the fans, despite those who insisted that there was nothing wrong with his running style. If Maroney's descriptions of these meetings is accurate, then BB clearly agrees with the fans that don't like the indesicive dancing in the backfield regardless of Maroney's overall yardage average.

All that being said, I am impressed by the lengths he will go to in order to improve and get on the same page with BB. BB said he had a great offseason, has been putting in a great effort, and has stayed healthy all year.... all positive things.

Maroney seems very motivated and I couldn't be happier with that regardless of how it all shakes out.

Last edited:
It sounds like even BB thought he was doing to much dancing. Maroney kept saying how he was being told to be more decisive with his running style and cuts.

That echos the criticism he has received from the fans, despite those who insisted that there was nothing wrong with his running style. If Maroney's descriptions of these meetings is accurate, then BB clearly agrees with the fans that don't like the indesicive dancing in the backfield regardless of Maroney's overall yardage average.

All that being said, I am impressed by the lengths he will go to in order to improve and get on the same page with BB. BB said he had a great offseason, has been putting in a great effort, and has stayed healthy all year.... all positive things.

Maroney seems very motivated and I couldn't be happier with that regardless of how it all shakes out.

New England drafted a read and react runner and has been trying to convert him to a one-cut runner. That would be fine if the line play was actually conducive to a one-cut runner, but we've seen with Morris that running that way isn't any more effective behind this group.

New England drafted a read and react runner and has been trying to convert him to a one-cut runner. That would be fine if the line play was actually conducive to a one-cut runner, but we've seen with Morris that running that way isn't any more effective behind this group.

There are read and react runners?

It sounds like even BB thought he was doing to much dancing.

Actually, what has been consistent all season is Belichick debunking that idea. He has regularly put it on the offensive line and the lack of available holes for Maroney to run through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News