PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney and Belichick hold weekly meetings to go over each run - Maroney's idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are read and react runners?

Call it what you will. New England wants their backs to run to the hole, regardless of whether it's actually there, and make one cut at most.

Maroney reads the line and then reacts to what he sees rather than running and hoping. I was merely trying to make the difference clear.

Call it what you will. New England wants their backs to run to the hole, regardless of whether it's actually there, and make one cut at most.

Maroney reads the line and then reacts to what he sees rather than running and hoping. I was merely trying to make the difference clear.

I believe one cut is used in conjunction with a zone blocking scheme, which is what we tried to change to to accomodate Maroney.

I don't think there is a scheme where the runner intentionally stands on his own side of the line reading the defense.

Last edited:
I believe one cut is used in conjunction with a zone blocking scheme, which is what we tried to change to to accomodate Maroney.

I don't think there is a scheme where the runner intentionally stands on his own side of the line reading the defense.

I'm also reasonably certain that Maroney's style has never been to receive the ball, stop immediately, look from side to side to evaluate the entirety of the play and then to start moving forward. However, the people who bash Maroney without knowing what the hell they are talking about like to make it seem as if that's what he's doing.

People here really should focus on the running games of the Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Texans and Eagles in order to get a better handle on running back styles, how they differ and how line play affects the success rates.

Last edited:
The offense calls the blocking scheme and knows when the snap is. If you wait until the hole opens, you are running into the defender who's job it is to fill that hole and giving up your advantage. the hole was there, you're late, it was filled.

Occasionally, the defense guesses right and the hole is filled as it is caused. You either bounce out, or get stuffed. If you wait for the hole to open, you merely get stuffed further into the backfield.

The offense calls the blocking scheme and knows when the snap is. If you wait until the hole opens, you are running into the defender who's job it is to fill that hole and giving up your advantage. the hole was there, you're late, it was filled.

Occasionally, the defense guesses right and the hole is filled as it is caused. You either bounce out, or get stuffed. If you wait for the hole to open, you merely get stuffed further into the backfield.

No, I'm sorry, but that's not entirely correct, as watching games should tell you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes