PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to 49ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about Tom Condon playing teams one off the other. He's Smith's agent, too. Why do you think Smith, who only wants to play for SF and SF who said weeks ago they are committed to Smith, haven't signed a deal yet... He's waiting for Manning to reset the mark and then he will use that data to set marks for Smith and Brees...

So basically, he wants to be paid $60M for two years and then retire, it sounds like.

with a defense like theirs that can give manning good field position almost every time i wouldn't put it past him to do it. plus Harbaugh>>>>>>>Dungy.

if he signs with them and stays healthy they will reach the super bowl.

Not a chance

Manning to the 49ers makes the most sense if he wants to be on a championship contending team. It makes a lot of damn sense.

The second the rumblings started about Manning leaving the Colts I said, as did plenty of others, the 49'ers should go get him - they're instantly SB favorites if he signs. No way the Giants would have won in SF if Manning was pulling the switches last year, no way. Next year is always different from the last but Manning is still 10x the QB Smith will ever be. If Manning is serious about wanting to win a SB then SF has to be his choice. Easy division, decent weather, a bye almost a lock. The Titans are far from being a SB team, and Denver is all smoke and mirrors as the Pats proved. Even Manning couldn't have saved them in the playoffs. If Manning goes anywhere but SF then its about the money or wanting to be in Tenn. because it's homey.

I agree about the annoying part, but think it's mainly the media that's doing it, not Manning. I don't think he's 'playing' anyone. If anything, it sounds like he's becoming a bit desperate and teams are shying away from him big-time.

Way too many question marks for a guy who's literally going to break any team's bank (unlike Favre). If I didn't dislike the Manning clan so much, it would be kind of sad really. :cry2:

You don't think talking to 5+ teams is not playing them? Have you ever seen a player (especially one that knew he was going to be released months in advance) travel this much during FA? To me it seems he is trying to show everyone how interested other teams are in him to raise his value, but in reality everyday he doesn't sign with someone his value goes down. It would not surprise me if this entire strategy is being devised by Tom Condon himself. Instead of doing the right thing and signing with Arizona and continuing his legacy he is being led to believe he deserves more money.

Really? Because in 14 years in Indy he put up exactly 450 once, and more than 450 on other time.
Well past his prime and coming off missing a year with a still not fully recovered injury is not a case where I would expect a career year.

Way past his prime? Even if that is true he is still better than 25 other QBs out there. He had a very good year in 2010 without a running game to speak of. He keep himself in great shape and should have 2 more good years left.

If he is healthy, with the talent he will have around him in SF, he will do just fine. It'll take him a while (just like Brady in 09) but I expect in his pass-happy league he'll put up outstanding numbers.

You don't think talking to 5+ teams is not playing them? Have you ever seen a player (especially one that knew he was going to be released months in advance) travel this much during FA? To me it seems he is trying to show everyone how interested other teams are in him to raise his value, but in reality everyday he doesn't sign with someone his value goes down. It would not surprise me if this entire strategy is being devised by Tom Condon himself. Instead of doing the right thing and signing with Arizona and continuing his legacy he is being led to believe he deserves more money.

Why is that the right thing?

Way past his prime? Even if that is true he is still better than 25 other QBs out there. He had a very good year in 2010 without a running game to speak of. He keep himself in great shape and should have 2 more good years left.
You mean while he was throwing all those pick6s in 2010?
He will now be 2 years older, after having sat out an entire year, and will be 36 years old. That is way past his prime.
Not sure what the other 25 QBs have to do with whether an aging, recovering from injury QB on a new team with less weapons that he typically has had would have the 2nd best year of his career in terms of his teams points scored, which is the claim I was responding to.

If he is healthy, with the talent he will have around him in SF, he will do just fine. It'll take him a while (just like Brady in 09) but I expect in his pass-happy league he'll put up outstanding numbers.

You don't know if he will be healthy.
The talent around him is a big step below what he had in many seasons when he didn't put up 450 points in his prime.
He has played on a pass happy team all these years. Not sure why you think the rest of the league throwing more has a bearing on him.

13 years played, 2 more good year left
=================
Obviously, Manning is significantly past his his prime.
========
And yes, Manning may still put up outstanding numbers. This somewhat depends on which team he chooses to play for.
========

It seems clear to me is that Manning's best bet is to join a team with a fine defense, a solid OL, a solid running game, and a mediocre or worse quarterback. In this situation, Manning will be a major upgrade and will not have to carry the team on his shoulders.

Last edited:

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

Assuming Manning comes back at a high level (95%+) in terms of physical healing, but adjusting for a missed season and 2 years of aging, and realizing that 2010 Manning put up his lowest QB rating in 8 years, who among the above listed QBs is Manning definitely better than?*

*Note that I didn't adjust for growth potential with the likes of Newton....

Last edited:
You mean while he was throwing all those pick6s in 2010?
He will now be 2 years older, after having sat out an entire year, and will be 36 years old. That is way past his prime.
Not sure what the other 25 QBs have to do with whether an aging, recovering from injury QB on a new team with less weapons that he typically has had would have the 2nd best year of his career in terms of his teams points scored, which is the claim I was responding to.

Is he the same Qb as he was in 2004? Of course not. If healthy can he put up 4500 30 TD season? Sure. 49ers scored 380 points last year with Alex Smith. I think they can find an extra few points a game with Peyton Manning at QB.

Not sure why you think the rest of the league throwing more has a bearing on him.

Throwing more = bigger numbers for good QBs with guys that can catch the ball.

Last edited:
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

Assuming Manning comes back at a high level (95%+) in terms of physical healing, but adjusting for a missed season and 2 years of aging, and realizing that 2010 Manning put up his lowest QB rating in 8 years, who among the above listed QBs is Manning definitely better than?*

Going off 95% of pre-injury Manning he is not better than...

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Stafford

But is probably in this bunch. Better than? I admit, not sure..

Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Roethisberger

I do not have a high opinion of Matty Heisman.

Last edited:

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Stafford

Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Roethisberger

Even with your disdain for Ryan, the reality is that Manning's not clearly better than about 10 QBs in the NFL right now, putting him somewhere around #22 in those terms. He could be better than some of those 10, he could be worse than some that I didn't put on the list, but he's coming in on the "definitely, right now" list at about #22, and he's fading while players like Newton are theoretically rising.

That doesn't mean that he won't put up numbers, but it's not a sure thing that the numbers he puts up will be all that impressive.

HOME: Lions, Bears, Dolphins, Bills, Giants, Rams, Cardinals, Seahawks

AWAY: Packers, Vikings, Saints, Patriots, Jets, Rams, Cardinals, Seahawks

Outside of the division, that's a pretty tough schedule for Peyton, Mighty Peyton to have to work against.

Last edited:
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

If we could assume that Manning would come back at ~95%, and would remain healthy for the season, I would take him (for the 2012 season) over:

Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

Is he the same Qb as he was in 2004? Of course not. If healthy can he put up 4500 30 TD season? Sure.
Why? Because you say so? You seriously expect him to go from 34 to 36 by not taking a snap for 20 months, switch teams, systems and teammates, and just not miss a beat?
I think that is very naive.

49ers scored 380 points last year with Alex Smith. I think they can find an extra few points a game with Peyton Manning at QB.
Once again Manning only exceeded 450 in his career year, and hit it in his second best year. How many QBs are having one of their top 3 seasons:
1) At age 36
2) After sitting out a year
3) After changing teams

Throwing more = bigger numbers for good QBs with guys that can catch the ball.
Again, irrelevant to this discussion. The numbers other QBs put up because they throw as much as Manning doesn't change what Manning does.

If we could assume that Manning would come back at ~95%, and would remain healthy for the season, I would take him (for the 2012 season) over:

Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

He didn't say 95% of his former ability, he said 95% healthy.

Eli
Ryan
Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Stafford

Take a look at his 2010 numbers and look at that list again. Every one of those QBS was better last year than Manning was in 2010. Now you're adding on a year off and the injury.

Last edited:

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Stafford

Romo
Schaub
Rivers
Roethisberger

He isn't going to be close to 95% of the player he was before the injury because he has gotten 2 years older, hasn't been on the field for a year + and will be working in a new offense with new weapons that he has no history with.

The statement was 95% of what he was, it was 95% healthy.
At 95% healthy with all of those other factors he will be lucky to be 75% of the player he was.

Is he the same Qb as he was in 2004? Of course not. If healthy can he put up 4500 30 TD season?

By the way, 4500 yards would be the 3rd highest total of his career, 33 TDs would be the 2nd highest total.
He has thrown for 4500 yards 3 of 13 years (23%) and 30 TDs 6 of 13 years (46%).
It seems silly to expect him to exceed those at 36 years old in his first season in a new offense with new receivers he has never worked with while recovering from an injury and having missed all of the previous season. But I guess Ty Warren could come back and have the best year of his life next year too. Anything is possible I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back