PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning is more skilled than Brady? Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
who has done things like go for in on fourth down on their opponents 10 yard line while ahead 32 points late in the game?

NOBODY does that. Nobody has done that. Give me one example of a different team doing something remotely similar. Just one, then I'll shut up. Until you do, you are full of crap.
Colts 'running up' the score? - Bengalszone Message Boards
That was one of the VERY first threads a "Colts running up the score" search in google. I didn't even bother going further than that as you said provide one example.

I hope you'll stay true to your claim of sitting down and shutting up.

who has done things like go for in on fourth down on their opponents 10 yard line .

Actually late in games the Patriots simply ran the ball over and over, as a favor to the other team. It's far more offensive and humiliating to kick the field goal in my opinion. If you can't stop a team from running it over and over when you know it's coming, you don't deserve to complain about it.

Colts 'running up' the score? - Bengalszone Message Boards
That was one of the VERY first threads a "Colts running up the score" search in google. I didn't even bother going further than that as you said provide one example.

I hope you'll stay true to your claim of sitting down and shutting up.

What's this supposed to prove? People were disgusted that Manning was still in the game with a 30 point lead. They didn't go for it on fourth down in easy field-goal range with that lead, did they?

Actually late in games the Patriots simply ran the ball over and over, as a favor to the other team. It's far more offensive and humiliating to kick the field goal in my opinion. If you can't stop a team from running it over and over when you know it's coming, you don't deserve to complain about it.

It was a pass play.

What's this supposed to prove? People were disgusted that Manning was still in the game with a 30 point lead. They didn't go for it on fourth down in easy field-goal range with that lead, did they?

The rationale there was that going for it on 4th down actually gave the other team a chance to stop us and prevent any points. Kicking a FG actually shows less respect, since it's essentially a gimme.

So answer me this; in Brady's first season with Moss and Welker, they should sit him out because offending the other teams sensibilities outweighs the Pats need for more game experience amongst the 3 of them?

"running up the score" is a last ditch complaint you bust out when you have nothing left to hate on a team for other than being completely dominant.

They didn't go for it on fourth down in easy field-goal range with that lead, did they?

Show the link that it was a pass play. If it was, then I'll say I was wrong but I remember it was a rushing play that the opponent couldn't stop.

Concerning going for it on 4th down, I think with a big lead it's a lot more honorable and respectful to the other team to simply rush the ball over and over, than to kick a FG.

Who the fck are you? Why don't you say something on your own instead of pointing fingers?

Week 1:
38-10 over Jets
Patriots score 10 points in the 4th quarter

Final scoring drive:
Run, Run, Run, penalty, Run, short pass, Run, Run for TD

Week 2:
38-14 over Chargers
Patriots score only 7 points in 4th quarter

Week 3:
38-7 over Buffalo
Patriots only put up 7 points in 4th quarter at the end of a drive that started in the 3rd quarter

Week 4:
34-13 over Cincinnati
Patriots score field goal on drive that started in 3rd quarter. Take ball with just a 2 touchdown lead and 9 minutes left to play in the game. Score game icing TD

Week 5:
34-17 over Cleveland
Patriots have 10 point lead with 14:10 to go in quarter. Take ball and score TD. Browns respond with TD and cut lead back down to 10. Cleveland holds against Patriots and gets ball back with a minute left. Cleveland fumbles and Gay returns it for Patriots TD.

Week 6:
48-27 over Dallas
A 31-24 game going into the 4th until the Patriots broke it open. Last TD scored after interception by Dallas at its own 20.

Week 7:
49-28 over Miami
New England outscored 21-7 in the second half.

Week 8:
52-7 over Washington, and the game that got everyone all pissed off about 'running up the score'.
New England put up 14 in the 4th, but the last touchdown was with Cassel at QB for the entire drive and the first TD scored in the quarter was a continuation of a drive that started in the 3rd quarter

So, that's half the games of that season..... feel free to pretend there's a 'bad' running up of the score there with Brady rubbing it in during 4th quarter drives.

Did you hear Belichick's tone when he answered the question about it? Did he sound like he thought kicking a field goal was the honorable thing to do?

Why would the Pats be tacking on field goals in a game that is that lopsided. To anyone who knows anything abouyt football or has any common sense, THAT is running up the score.

The rationale there was that going for it on 4th down actually gave the other team a chance to stop us and prevent any points. Kicking a FG actually shows less respect, since it's essentially a gimme.

That's the rationale from a homer's point of view. Everyone else sees a total lack of respect. Inflate everyone's stats, try to knock ****s in the dirt, and humiliate a team as much as you can.

Do you agree that the Bills had zero chance of winning the game at that point?

49-14 win against the Texans November 15, 2004. Up by 28 points in the fourth quarter, then the Colts score an unnecessary touchdown to win by 35. As the posters mention, Peyton scores, flings the ball about when the game is won. At least they didn't go for the 2 point conversion. Classy.

1 example provided.

Last edited:
sins of the '04 Colts:

ahead 35-7 in the 3rd Q v. Texas, Manning to Clark for 80 yards - 42-7.

ahead 27-3 in the 3rd Q v. Bears, Manning to Wayne 27 yards, and then James 11 yards run making it 41-3.

ahead 27-9 in the 3rd Q v. Lions, Manning to Harrison for 10 yards, and Manning to Harrison for 5 yards making it 41-9.

ahead 31-24 in the 3rd, FG and James TD run make it 41-24, then in the 4th Manning to Wayne and FG make it 51-24

Hmmm, maybe Colts fans and suck ups should quiet down a bit.....

That season ended in story book fashion when the mighty Manning led his #1 offense Colts into Foxboro for the epic 20-3 beating they took.

Last edited:
That's the rationale from a homer's point of view. Everyone else sees a total lack of respect. Inflate everyone's stats, try to knock ****s in the dirt, and humiliate a team as much as you can.

Dude, you've completely lost me here. This is so totally unreasonable I can't really understand where you are coming from.

A FG = tacking on meaningless sure thing points in a game that is out of hand. THAT is running up the score because there's absolutely no reason to do it. The reason teams don't go for it on 4th down is because of the conversion rate and field position. When you go for it on 4th down, in a running play no less, you are trying to run out the clock and let the other team make a stop. If you can't understand this then you are being the total homer.

You were somewhat coherent with the Manning v. Brady stuff, but bringing up spygate and the horse**** "running up the score" BS, which was purely an ESPN invention for the fans of the opposing teams to pile on and feel ok about hating the Pats, is totally out of line and dumb.

Did you hear Belichick's tone when he answered the question about it? Did he sound like he thought kicking a field goal was the honorable thing to do?

Why would the Pats be tacking on field goals in a game that is that lopsided. To anyone who knows anything abouyt football or has any common sense, THAT is running up the score.

never mind, i have something better to do right now.... I'll be back tomorrow. to see pages 46-75

Last edited:
49-14 win against the Texans November 15, 2004. Up by 28 points in the forth quarter, then the Colts score an unnecessary touchdown to win by 35.As the posters mention, Peyton scores, flings the ball about when the game is won. At least they didn't go for the 2 point conversion. Classy.

1 example provided.

Did the Colts go for it on fourth down while up astronomically? Because that is the main point here. Besides all that, the last offensive TD the Colts scored in that game was in the 3rd quarter. I think the Colts were up by 21 at the time.

If my team did something like that, I'd be embarrassed, not proud.

Check conversion rates of FGs versus going for it on 4th down and then get back to me on which is running up the score. :ugh:

Hint: the worst team in 2007 was successful on 68% of their field goals.

sins of the '04 Colts:

ahead 35-7 in the 3rd Q v. Texas, Manning to Clark for 80 yards - 42-7.

ahead 27-3 in the 3rd Q v. Bears, Manning to Wayne 27 yards, and then James 11 yards run making it 41-3.

ahead 27-9 in the 3rd Q v. Lions, Manning to Harrison for 10 yards, and Manning to Harrison for 5 yards making it 41-9.

ahead 31-24 in the 3rd, FG and James TD run make it 41-24, then in the 4th Manning to Wayne and FG make it 51-24

Hmmm, maybe Colts fans and suck ups should quiet down a bit.....

That season ended in story book fashion when the mighty Manning led his #1 offense Colts into Foxboro for the epic 20-3 beating they took.

Which one of these plays happened on fourth down?

Did the Colts go for it on fourth down while up astronomically? Because that is the main point here. Besides all that, the last offensive TD the Colts scored in that game was in the 3rd quarter. I think the Colts were up by 21 at the time.

If my team did something like that, I'd be embarrassed, not proud.

You don't ever have to worry about that, but if you did, rest assured all of the "homers" from other teams will be frothing at the mouth with an excuse to hate your team, and ESPN or whoever will be sure to invent one.

FACT: Kicking a FG = running up the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back