PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini is BB's Trojan horse

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, the real question in all this is, who's going to run the Jets offense? Mangini may have the experience to oversee the defense and know whether his assistants are doing a solid job, but that isn't the real problem with the Jets. It's the offense, stupid! It looks like it's been run through by a peach-orchard boar! I pity the fool who steps up to take responsibility for it.

spacecrime said:
Henry Mancini would be an improvement over Herm. Wouldyou rather have Mangini or Herm as the pats head coach?

The Jets wanted the guy who would give them teh best chance to return to glory, and that ain't Fassel. It's Mangini. I wish him well because despite the crap he is getting on this board, he did a masterful job of piecing together a Defensive Unit. If the offense/ST had held onto the football last Saturday, and we won, we would all be proud of the job Mangini did with the "patchwork" defense. We are only ripping him because players not under his control had butter fingers.

Mangini is an unproven commodity in head coaching terms with NO expertise on the offensive side of the ball and ONE year as defensive coordinator. His leadership ability is in serious question (re., the first post in this thread). Yeah, I think Fassel or even Tice would do a better short-term job cleaning up the Jets mess. Maybe Mangini can grow into the job, but who knows? I'm not ripping him for anything that happened this season or any other season. He's just not ready to be a head coach in the NFL and the Jets are taking a wild gamble on the kid. The "masterful job" you're referring to with this year's Pats defense was just as much the work of BB as it was Mangini. BB held his hand through the entire process. By the way, if you wish Mangini well in his new job you're not much of a Patriots fan -- he's now the enemy. And don't give us that garbage of "Well, I wish him well as long as the Patriots finish ahead of him."

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Mangini is an unproven commodity with NO expertise on the offensive side of the ball and ONE year as defensive coordinator. His leadership ability is in serious question (re., the first post in this thread). Yeah, I think Fassel or even Tice would do a better short-term job cleaning up the Jets mess. Maybe Mangini can grow into the job, but who knows? I'm not ripping him for anything that happened this season or any other season. He's just not ready to be a head coach in the NFL and the Jets are taking a wild gamble on the kid. The "masterful job" you're referring to with this year's Pats defense was just as much the work of BB as it was Mangini. BB held his hand through the entire process.

You are pretty dead on with this...... When BB took over in Cleveland he did not have much experience with the offense either. I think EM's time with the Jets will parallel BB's time with the Brown's!

jczxohn1 said:
To me, the real question in all this is, who's going to run the Jets offense?
NFL Network's Adam Shefter says he's interested in ex Patriots TE and asst. OL coach Jeff Davidson.

That's actually one of the negatives some say about Mangini, he's been with Belichick his whole life and doesn't know a lot of NFL people other than those associated with Belichick.

BelichickFan said:
NFL Network's Adam Shefter says he's interested in ex Patriots TE and asst. OL coach Jeff Davidson.

That's actually one of the negatives some say about Mangini, he's been with Belichick his whole life and doesn't know a lot of NFL people other than those associated with Belichick.

Well if Little E thinks he has the stones to be a HC it's high time he got out and mingled a little bit. I wonder if he will have the balls to ask permission to talk to Pepper or any of the other assistants. Id love to see BB tell him to go F himself like he did Tom Jackson after SB 38.

A snipet from a piece about Davidson during last years SB week:

"Davidson, an Akron, Ohio, native, was a Parade All-America offensive lineman who played collegiately at Ohio State. He was a fifth-round draft choice of the Denver Broncos in 1990.

His NFL career with Denver and later New Orleans ended with a shoulder injury after four years. But Davidson was not through with the NFL. He became a volunteer assistant coach with the Saints in 1995, and two years later he joined the Patriots as Pete Carroll's tight ends coach. A year later he added assistant offensive line coach to his duties. When Carroll was replaced by Belichick in 2000, Davidson stayed in the same role.

Now, with a changing of the guard at the coordinator level, Davidson is ready for his next challenge, and the line of succession makes sense if Belichick decides to promote from within."

--------------

He had 5 years with BB and never progressed beyond the positions he held under Carroll. While he was rumored to be an OC candidate last season, it's fairly obvious he wasn't that high on BB's radar. He not only didn't get the job here, he didn't get it with RAC either. He's the OLine coach in Cleveland. So if Eric goes this route he may be compiling an all rookie coaching staff. The JETS FO had apparently tried hard to convince Heimerdinger to stay on. According to Schefter he declined. Heimerdinger would probably rather flip hamburgers than have another year of Pennington to Bollinger to Testeverde to Bollinger on his resume.

MoLewisrocks said:
A snipet from a piece about Davidson during last years SB week:

"Davidson, an Akron, Ohio, native, was a Parade All-America offensive lineman who played collegiately at Ohio State. He was a fifth-round draft choice of the Denver Broncos in 1990.

His NFL career with Denver and later New Orleans ended with a shoulder injury after four years. But Davidson was not through with the NFL. He became a volunteer assistant coach with the Saints in 1995, and two years later he joined the Patriots as Pete Carroll's tight ends coach. A year later he added assistant offensive line coach to his duties. When Carroll was replaced by Belichick in 2000, Davidson stayed in the same role.

Now, with a changing of the guard at the coordinator level, Davidson is ready for his next challenge, and the line of succession makes sense if Belichick decides to promote from within."

--------------

He had 5 years with BB and never progressed beyond the positions he held under Carroll. While he was rumored to be an OC candidate last season, it's fairly obvious he wasn't that high on BB's radar. He not only didn't get the job here, he didn't get it with RAC either. He's the OLine coach in Cleveland. So if Eric goes this route he may be compiling an all rookie coaching staff. The JETS FO had apparently tried hard to convince Heimerdinger to stay on. According to Schefter he declined. Heimerdinger would probably rather flip hamburgers than have another year of Pennington to Bollinger to Testeverde to Bollinger on his resume.

This is just an example, but the smartest thing George W. did when he took office was to surround himself with highly competent people. I would hope EM would be smart enough to do the same thing. I can't imagine the Jets being patient enough to wait for an all rookie staff to bloom!

Bill's Girl said:
This is just an example, but the smartest thing George W. did when he took office was to surround himself with highly competent people.

Uhhh...that's highly debatable.

Bill's Girl said:
This is just an example, but the smartest thing George W. did when he took office was to surround himself with highly competent people.

Actually, what he did was surround himself with all of his dad's old co-workers, who ended up creating and following their own agenda.

Sorry, but I just couldn't let that go!

Anyway, I feel that no matter what, Mangini has no chance in New York. His team is in shambles both talent-wise and salary cap-wise. What kind of talented, ambitious coach would want to work for him as an assistant? Not many, I bet.

maverick4 said:
Actually, what he did was surround himself with all of his dad's old co-workers, who ended up creating and following their own agenda.

Sorry, but I just couldn't let that go!

Anyway, I feel that no matter what, Mangini has no chance in New York. His team is in shambles both talent-wise and salary cap-wise. What kind of talented, ambitious coach would want to work for him as an assistant? Not many, I bet.

That is sort of my point that W hired people who had been there and done that....

Bill's Girl said:
That is sort of my point that W hired people who had been there and done that....

Right. But it wasn't necessarily a smart thing.

:)

I fail to see why BB would want to send a Trojan Horse into the Jets camp. That's like using nukes to invade Bermuda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe