PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett????? (edit: false alarm, nothing to see here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Mallet play against Ohio State now. He doesn't look so impressive. Yeah he made a couple of nice throws near the end of the first half. But where was he the rest of the game?

Of course Ohio State defense is also making him uncomfortable. I've got my eye on Cameron Heyward too. Hmmm is the big guy worth a 2nd round pick for the Pats?

Joe Flacco II, excellent arm and good mechanics but iffy decision making and sometimes thinks he can fit balls in spots that he can't. He had a comical amount of drops last night as well.

Last edited:
This pretty much sums up my impressions for both Heyward and Mallett.

Mallet took some criticism from Herbstreit this morning on "Mike & Mike" for not "playing well under pressure". It was like criticizing a guy for not being able to get a match lit while standing under Niagara Falls.

The Buckeyes' pressure was nearly instantaneous all night and Mallet did very well to avoid it on numerous occasions, buying enough time to get off at least a marginally catchable pass. When he was given time to throw, he was pretty accurate (even into some fairly decent OSU coverage) and demonstrated more than NFL-adequate arm strength - and then his receivers failed him miserably. Considering the circumstances that Mallet was playing through, I think it's pretty amazing that he didn't throw a pick until there was under a minute left in the game.

What impressed me about Heyward was not just his own pass-rush success, but the way his pressure enabled the guys around him to succeed. Also, he played the run very well for the most part. Overall, I thought he demonstrated skills, technique and awareness that would fit very well in a BB 3-4 DE role. If he follows this performance up with solid Senior Bowl practices and performance, there's no way Heyward makes it to #17 and he may not even make it out of the top ten.
I agree, it was nice of Heyward to show up for the bowl game after taking the season off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft