PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malik Cunningham?

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is it time to try Cunningham and play some sandlot football? It cannot get any worse and he might ignite some passion in the players.....

If your goal is to both have more fun watching AND secure an excellent draft slot, yes.

I’m not saying I’m against it, but the above would be the goal.

I’d also be open to dumping / benching both Mac and Zappe and rolling with Grier and Cunningham as backup - for the same reason.

With our current receiving core I don’t think any pocket passer would have much success barring an elite talent which obviously isn’t available for us. So actually a guy like malik could be a fit for us, only problem is the OL sucks monkey balls. Is there any chance of improvement there with strange/onwenu getting healthy and reiff settling in at rt?

One things for sure mac nor zappe will do anything for us.

Is Cunningham even taking any QB reps, from what I have heard through reports he’s just working as WR.

From what I saw in Training Camp, Cunningham has a long way to go to becoming a WR. Considering that Parker was the second best WR I saw in camp (and was way ahead of Cunningham), but he sucks in real games (just cannot get open), I have to say no way for Cunningham to be a WR. He is still a Patriots because of QB potential, not WR potential.

If your goal is to both have more fun watching AND secure an excellent draft slot, yes.
An excellent draft slot is already assured. The strength of the Patriot was their defense, but we lost the two best players. As we all knew, the offense was going to suck and exceeded our worst fears...and now we lost our best player (Douglas). The Patriots are toast right now.

So we might as well try Cunningham, but I suspect that the playbook and the offensive philosophy (such as it is) would have to be scrapped.

Last edited:
An excellent draft slot is already assured. The strength of the Patriot was their defense, but we lost the two best players. As we all knew, the offense was going to suck and exceeded our worst fears...and now we lost our best player (Douglas). The Patriots are toast right now.

So we might as well try Cunningham, but I suspect that the playbook and the offensive philosophy (such as it is) would have to be scrapped.

Kind of feels like the playbook already is being scrapped and the offensive philosophy is already on the scrap heap

Kind of feels like the playbook already is being scrapped and the offensive philosophy is already on the scrap heap
Well we are "starting over". Interested to see what that looks likes/consists of.

Brings me back to my pre-Brady Michael Bishop fascination at Smithfield training camp.
Brady's 1st season, 2000, BB kept 4 QBs including bishop & brady.

Sad No Way GIF by Tennis TV

Brings me back to my pre-Brady Michael Bishop fascination at Smithfield training camp.
BB had a telling quip about that particular situation.

He said when he first came to the Patriots, everyone was raving about Bishop and how great he was....but, of course, it did not work out that way. I hope he gives Cunningham more of a chance than Bishop. Gawd, at least it would make the games more exciting...until Maik gets injured....

Best move I can see is dropping Zap to emergency QB and elevating Grier to #2. Apparently, BB plans to continue with Mac as starter. I would keep him on a short leash and bring in Grier if Mac has another forgettable start. Grier's biggest downside seems to be his tendency to hold the ball too long. At least he is bigger and/or more mobile than either Mac or Zap.

People are hyping this guy a lot off like two preseason drives lol.

Having said that, I’m open to any ideas to score a touchdown. Cunningham, Grier, Cam Newton, Kaepernick.

Statue QBs are not going to accomplish a thing with an OL like a sieve and a set of WR in cement boots.

We should...we have nothing to loose...at this point go for it

OH YEAH, MAN, MICHAEL BISHOP IS AWESOME!

/sarcasm

Yup, I loved Bishop in the pre season. I loved Malik in the pre season. I know nothing and I revel in it.

I don't think it's fair to throw a rookie who needs development into the present ****show. Let Mac show what he is or is not. If you think you know what he is, I suppose you make the empty gesture of starting Zappe, but really, why bother?

Some would have put it this way: "Why put a promising young player into a situation that has already ruined one promising young qb."

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back