PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense you are way off here, there are more #1 CBs that are under 6’0” than there are that are over.

Darrelle Revis 5’11”, 198 lbs
Vontae Davis 5’11”, 207 lbs
Chris Harris Jr. 5’10”, 199 lbs
Casey Hayward 5'11", 192 lbs
Joe Haden 5’11”, 195 lbs
Kareem Jackson 5’10”, 188lbs
Brandon Flowers 5’9”, 187 lbs
Alterraun Verner 5’10”, 187 lbs
Johnathan Joseph 5’11”, 188 lbs
Tramon Williams 5’11”, 191 lbs
Lardarius Webb 5’10”, 182 lbs
Brent Grimes’ 5’10”, 185 lbs
Janoris Jenkins 5’10”, 198 lbs
Sam Shields’ 5’11”, 184 lbs

He was actually saying most good corners are under 6 feet.

Butler allowed five catches on 12 targets for 72 yards with a touchdown and three pass breakups

That's not a bad line for being in his first full time season

Read more at: Bill Belichick: Malcolm Butler Hasn't 'Hit The Peak' For Patriots Yet

Exactly.

Revis didn't reach his peak until his third season.

The picture of Butler with the 4 TD's against him is, I think, a misrepresentation to some people who have translated that to something like "if only he were a few inches taller."

The reality is more that Butler will learn that it is sometimes better to bat a pass away or otherwise interfere with a catch, than to try for the INT. In all 4 of those TD pictures, he is trying for the INT and has sacrificed jumping to optimal height, as well as physical contact in the process.

He has the tools and the talent. He will only get better.

Butler is a solid CB, he would be a great 2nd Cb, but he is the Patriots number 1.

Butler and Ryan can be as good as Asante and Hobbs, and I don't remember too much panic over those guys manning the corners back in 06-07. A little help from the front 7 goes a long way in pass defense.

Butler is a solid CB, he would be a great 2nd Cb, but he is the Patriots number 1.
Butler's good enough to be a number 1. Don't feel the need to talk him down because the Pats had Revis. It was always going to be difficult following one of this generation's best CBs.

Butler and Ryan can be as good as Asante and Hobbs, and I don't remember too much panic over those guys manning the corners back in 06-07. A little help from the front 7 goes a long way in pass defense.

Samuel was better than butler. And yes, there was a bit of panic...Butler is fine, but he is not as good as some people would like him to believe. He still can improve.

I wouldn't put Malcolm over Asante from 06-07...certainly not yet. Nor would I put Logan Ryan over Hobbs. Not at all sold on Logan Ryan until we see some consistency.

Last edited:
Ehh...I wouldn't put Malcolm over Asante from 06-07...certainly not yet. Nor would I put Logan Ryan over Hobbs. Not at all sold on Logan Ryan until we see some consistency.
Neither would I, which is why I didn't

You mean Assante Samuel who let a game ending INT slip through his fingers in SB 42?

And Ellis Hobbs who wasn't even in the same Zip code as Plaxico when he caught the winning td

Last edited:
Malcolm is better than Hobbs.
Ryan is better than Hobbs

Malcolm is better than 03-05 Asante
06-07 Asante is better than Malcolm.

Malcolm is also stronger, faster and is a much better tackler than Asante was. With that said, Asante had an elite nose for the ball.

You mean Assante Samuel who let a game ending INT slip through his fingers in SB 42?

And Ellis Hobs who wasn't even in the same Zip code as Plaxico when he caught the winning td
Yes, those guys. The ones who allowed a 78 QB rating for the season.

Malcolm is better than Hobbs.
Ryan is better than Hobbs

Malcolm is better than 03-05 Asante
06-07 Asante is better than Malcolm.

Malcolm is also stronger, faster and is a much better tackler than Asante was. With that said, Asante had an elite nose for the ball.

Not sure about this, but otherwise I concur.

Says the person who claims that this won't be a top 10 defense...

it won't. you can't name 10 defenses better than this one? do you watch any football other than patriot games? have you ever gotten off of your couch and picked up a football and actually played? easy to point to points scored, but the 2011 defense was 15th in scoring... do you really think that defense was the 15th best defense in the league? that's a silly thing to say. we lost in the playoffs that year because of our defense. this defense is better than that one, but top 10? really? at this point, i'm going with around 15th.

I can never see any of the twitter content you post, it is just a big blank screen for me...anyone else have that problem with Chiuba's posts?

I do on my home computer. Same browser (Chrome), and same adblock lets me see them at work. I have no explanation. :)

you can't name 10 defenses better than this one?

The Patriots are 8th in the league according to DVOA.

200.gif

I can never see any of the twitter content you post, it is just a big blank screen for me...anyone else have that problem with Chiuba's posts?

I have the same issue. For me, it's a noscript situation, where I have to (temporarily) allow both Twitter and s9e.github.io in order for those tweets to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST