PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the Case for Suh (Cons too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

10char

Detriot's issues go far past an individual player. They are a well run team currently, and well run teams try to trade out of the top three. The reason behind it is when you bring in a new system, your coach has his scheme and players. It's far more difficult to build a quality program with a high 1 and a high 2 than it is with a handful of mid/late 1's and two's. In this year's draft, it makes a lot of sense for a team in Detroit's situation to get out of that singular, expensive player spot. A 22nd overall, an extra two, and two 1st rounders in 11 will build a better program.

Last edited:
Detriot's issues go far past an individual player. They are a well run team currently, and well run teams try to trade out of the top three. The reason behind it is when you bring in a new system, your coach has his scheme and players. It's far more difficult to build a quality program with a high 1 and a high 2 than it is with a handful of mid/late 1's and two's. In this year's draft, it makes a lot of sense for a team in Detroit's situation to get out of that singular, expensive player spot. A 22nd overall, an extra two, and two 1st rounders in 11 will build a better program.

You're presuming that the team is trying to rebuild through the draft. I don't believe that this is the case for Detroit. I would argue that they are rebuilding through free agency as well, and that the draft is filling in the remaining gaps and contributing playmakers. This is why Suh may be a fit as opposed to a big tradedown.

They have signed a number of players for their major areas of need in free agency, as well as trading for two with late round picks:

Starters:
- DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
- DT Corey Williams
- WR Nate Burleson

Suh would make their entire defensive line better by forcing opponents to double-team him, meaning one-on-ones for the rest.

Okung would help solidify the offensive line by making them improve at both LT and LG (with Backus shifting inside and Cherilus at RT).

Without making any trades, I would take Suh in the 1st round, take either the best tackle or guard available in the 2nd round and another lineman in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Sorry, catching up on my reading, from Mel Kiper.

"Analysis: I've said it before, and it remains true: Suh has become maybe the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen in 32 years of breaking down tape and analyzing prospects year-round. He'll make an instant impact for whichever team is lucky enough to land him. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST