PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac being labeled dirty

Kontra mentioned Brady. He did the same things. Brady also dove low for blind side blocks. I've seen Aaron Rodgers do it

A little bit of dirty play can be fun but Weird to see it from a QB.

Most of those seem OK. The Eli cut yesterday seems like it might cross a line can't take out athletes knees. Kick them in the balls fine but not the knees.
Didn't even include his toss at someone's balls (Epenesa) a few games ago (the one where he got fined).

He is also a flopper. He has done some late slides and exaggerated the hits to no avail. These plays, the whining, and flops have made me lose a little respect for him. He has an old look so it is hard to remember that he is still young.
And yet...

14dallas.1.190.jpg

Kontra mentioned Brady. He did the same things. Brady also dove low for blind side blocks. I've seen Aaron Rodgers do it
I’ve never seen Brady cut back and dive at a player’s knees on a return, though. That’s filthy.

I’ve never seen Brady cut back and dive at a player’s knees on a return, though. That’s filthy.
Exactly. Brady's a notorious complainer but he's not considered a dirty player. Mac has earned the reputation in less than two seasons.

He is also a flopper. He has done some late slides and exaggerated the hits to no avail. These plays, the whining, and flops have made me lose a little respect for him. He has an old look so it is hard to remember that he is still young.

Show me a quarterback who isn't a "flopper" when it's advantageous to drawing a flag. Mac's no worse in that department than anyone else.

His little fits of pique haven't been a good look but are somewhat understandable given the circumstances he's in. That'll rein itself in as he matures. The vector for a lot of what you're talking about was the high ankle sprain dramatics vs. Baltimore. I think the pain he felt was compounded by immediate fears over missing a lot of time and unfortunately for him it was caught by cameras.

From his performances last season and again this year, the kid has demonstrated ample physical toughness; he's willing to hang in the pocket and take hits. A gray area for me is when he seems to sometimes slide early on scrambles, but we don't know what he's been TOLD to do. Other times he'll dive headfirst for that extra yard. I suspect Patricia has pounded into him not to turn the ball over at all costs, which might explain some of what we've seen.

This last one is only being talked about because that JAG Eli Apple said something. But say it was called a fumble, LBer that had the ball starts getting tackled by Thornton and laterals it back to Apple who takes it in. TD Bengals, right? Well Jones took him out and now LBer can't lateral it back.

Pretty 5head if you ask me

Exactly. Brady's a notorious complainer but he's not considered a dirty player.

Did you miss Brady kicking at Grady Jarrett earlier this season?

Too bad Mac doesn’t play defense or he could do that to Tyreek Hill next week. I’m just sayin…

Brady started to get offended when defenders touched him in 2005 when John Lynch and the Broncos got in his head. But since his knee injury in 2008, he retaliated many times on the ground when a defender sacked him as he found it disrespectful. However, there were many dirty teams like the Ravens going at his knees for a while.

Too bad Mac doesn’t play defense or he could do that to Tyreek Hill next week. I’m just sayin…

When Marcus Jones was drafted I thought he'd be used as designated DB water bug covering players like Hill. I was amazed to see he had 14 tackles vs. Cincy.

Throwing a block, sure. He’s never done what Mac did in the second except of the posted video in the OP.

He'll probably get fined again. League will get influenced by all the SM calls to suspend him.

"The NFL is set to review the play to see whether Jones violated the rule that bars low blocks after a change of possession, Pro Football Talk reported Sunday. A suspension is considered to be one of the outcomes of the review but is reportedly believed to be unlikely."

I did see few of the plays that it definitely looked bad.

He needs to clean that up, no room for that type of stuff.

Every single one of those plays is dirty. I was also critical of Brady for sliding with his cleats up against the Ravens in the 2012 AFCCG. You just don’t do that. Any Pop Warner or Little League coach worth his weight in salt teaches kids that in their first year.

It also just so happens that those plays mostly occurred in which something either went wrong or when he didn’t get what he wanted out of the play. He’s a hothead. That’s why opposing fans were laughing as hard as they were when he was crying like a little girl after spraining his ankle against the Ravens this year. If he doesn’t stop doing stuff like that, he’s going to get rolled up on more often.
If Pop Warner and Little League coaches teach that then why can't the Pats coaches?

I'm sorry to say that the kid just doesn't look like he has what it takes.

Another failed 1st round pick.

But he can't man up and make a tackle with the season on the line.
Please tell me you're not talking about the Chandler Jones stiff arm. I see defensive players who are trained how to tackle get taken out like that fairly regularly.

I wonder how many NYFL QB's there are who you could count on to make that tackle in the same situation. There aren't many.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back