PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lua will make the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you know this how ?

Just a wild and crazy feeling, I guess.

Did you, or anyone you know, feel that Lua was at all draftable beforehand?

Be honest, now...Lua ahead of Siler?

Just a wild and crazy feeling, I guess.

Did you, or anyone you know, feel that Lua was at all draftable beforehand?

Be honest, now...Lua ahead of Siler?
That's because, when it comes right down to it, I don't know sh!t. Heck, most of us would have been happy to take Siler with the #3 we traded to the Raiders and look at all the teams that passed on him over and over.

In the 6th round it's not about impressing anyone or taking who others want - it's about taking the guy you want. If we wanted Siler we had many chances to take him. Did we overdraft Lua ? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he would have gone with the next pick. But at that point you take the guy you think is better not the one you think you're supposed to take.

All depends,

If the Patriots keep 9 linebackers, then I would say Lua has the best chance of making the team. If it is 8, then I think he goes to the Practice Squad. I think it will be less of a battle between Lua and Andrews or Woods, and more of a battle between Lua and Britt, L. Smith. or the 6th WR. In that battle though Lua has the disadvantage of being the guy they can stash on the Practice Squad.

This judgment is subject to change though depending on training camp and preseason action. Right now it is just based on one mini-camp.

Remember Quinn Dorsey and Justin Kurpeikis?

I think that we are keeping nine linebackers. The question is whether Lua beats out any of: Alexander, Mays or Woods. I don't see any reason to expect that he will. Not only does he need to beat out one of three, we also need not to bring in a free agent.

Don't forget (4):
He couldn't even start for his college team.

Now, unless his replacement becomes the next Seau, that is a fatal indictment.

I would have taken a chance on Brandon Siler instead. Lua could have been signed as an UDFA.

You #4 is incorrect. Lua was not only a starter at one point, he was a captain. It was just that a guy came along who is supposed to be amongst the best in the country at the same position. Lua recognized that and welcomed a reserve role.

I know that PFW said the same thing. I think seeing him in pads will give us a much better idea.

That's because, when it comes right down to it, I don't know sh!t. Heck, most of us would have been happy to take Siler with the #3 we traded to the Raiders and look at all the teams that passed on him over and over.

In the 6th round it's not about impressing anyone or taking who others want - it's about taking the guy you want. If we wanted Siler we had many chances to take him. Did we overdraft Lua ? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he would have gone with the next pick. But at that point you take the guy you think is better not the one you think you're supposed to take.

Fair enough.

A possible early preview of Lua V. Siler may be SD @ NE; not that either will probably take snaps with their regular D rotations, but rather who is on the PS, active 45, inactive 8, etc.

I think that we are keeping nine linebackers. The question is whether Lua beats out any of: Alexander, Mays or Woods. I don't see any reason to expect that he will. Not only does he need to beat out one of three, we also need not to bring in a free agent.

I, too, think that Lua's main competition is Alexander and Mays. One of these 3 is plenty.
Wood's main competition is Rogers, though it's possible that, if both impress, they could both be kept on the 53.

You #4 is incorrect. Lua was not only a starter at one point, he was a captain. It was just that a guy came along who is supposed to be amongst the best in the country at the same position. Lua recognized that and welcomed a reserve role.

True. An early hamstring injury to Lua also gave the underclassman Rey Maualuga the opportunity to start.

Who knows, maybe Lua is another Cassel - backup to one of the best at his position, therefore possibly also one of the best at his position. I hope so.

True. An early hamstring injury to Lua also gave the underclassman Rey Maualuga the opportunity to start.

Who knows, maybe Lua is another Cassel - backup to one of the best at his position, therefore possibly also one of the best at his position. I hope so.

I'm hoping for a Blue Gay type deal. I think that might be the better comparison.

All depends,

If the Patriots keep 9 linebackers, then I would say Lua has the best chance of making the team. If it is 8, then I think he goes to the Practice Squad. I think it will be less of a battle between Lua and Andrews or Woods, and more of a battle between Lua and Britt, L. Smith. or the 6th WR. In that battle though Lua has the disadvantage of being the guy they can stash on the Practice Squad.

This judgment is subject to change though depending on training camp and preseason action. Right now it is just based on one mini-camp.

I'm basing my opinion on nothing more than his college career. He gets the backseat to a better MLB, but still finds a way to contribute. He's a Patriots type of player.

Don't forget (4):
He couldn't even start for his college team.

Now, unless his replacement becomes the next Seau, that is a fatal indictment.

I would have taken a chance on Brandon Siler instead. Lua could have been signed as an UDFA.

Lua lost his job to a future first rounder. You can't really fault him for that. Pioli compared him to Matt Cassel becuase while he was a back up, he was stuck behind to Heisman trophy winning quarterbacks. And Lua did see some starting time by the way.

Siler fell becuase he had a knee injury and a bad attitude. The Patriots (and every other team) had plenty of opportunities to take him, but they didn't. Belichick is great friends with Urban Meyer so chances are he got the inside story on Siler. You get so fixated on names that it seems you don't realuze there is probably a reason they did not take him with one of their 11 picks. Despite what you may think, you are not smarter than the Patriots front office.

Last edited:
Guys I think a very important point for Givens and Banta-Cain making the roster back in '03 was that we had a very incomplete team with little youth. Cain had to compete with the likes of Jerod Cherry and Givens had to compete with J.J. Stokes. This allowed them to initially make the team and conitnue to practice throughout the year and improve in order to solidify a spot.

This team is much deeper now these days and it makes it much more difficult to beat out a quality roster player. If Lua makes the team, does that mean we cut Willie Andrews? I know he is at another positions but his role was primarily ST which is what Lua's would be too. I for one think Andrews is an excellent player and would not be happy to see him cut be it for a ILB or anyone.

While I agree with you in theory, there's plenty of room on the defense and special teams. We've gone for offense at least 2 to 1 in the last few years and the defensive players on the field in the second half against the Colts tell you there are plenty of openings.

I don't know about Andrews potential, but he is the definition of an on the margin NFL player.

Remember Quinn Dorsey and Justin Kurpeikis?

Good point, I remember both of those guys now that you mention it. Do you recall how we lost them and who we kept instead? Did we cut one and lose one off the PS? TBC?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes