PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like a battle at WR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it matters who is the "#2" or "#3" receiver. They will all play a lot and we run a lot of multi-WR sets anyway. I agree w/ the thought that the increased depth at the position makes it easier on everyone later in the games.

Imagine a Five Wide set with (from offensive left to right) Stallworth, Gaffney, Watson, Welker, and Caldwell. Or Stallworth, Watson, Thomas, Welker, Caldwell. Or Stallworth, Watson, Faulk, Welker, Caldwell. When you think about how the TEs and RBs can contribute in this passing game, coupled with a now talented WR corps. The passing game is going to be tremendous this season.

Wrong on a couple of points, Sean. Welker WON'T be the #2, he'll play the slot WR when they go to 3 wide. Caldwell will be the "#2" and Gaffney will be the back up, when someone eventually goes down with an injury. With the Pats likely to keep 4 TEs (Watson, Thomas, Brady, Mills) It is likely that they will keep only 5 WRs on the active roster...at most. Subject to injuries, Gaffney and Caldwell have NO WORRIES about making the roster.

I feel you have have go into this season with ZERO expectations from Jackson. Then if you get something out of him at the end of the year, its gravy. I don't think the Pats would have signed Stallworth, IF it was likely that Jackson could be back in time to participate in training camp. Having a full off season was critical to Jackson's learning curve. Because of the injury its likely that he will miss training camp AGAIN. Not good. So, its better for the Pats to pretend that he won't be a factor in 2007.

Agree with most of the points. I do believe we will see a lot more of Gaffney than some people think. I expect him to bring his post-season performance right into 2007.

The best thing this signing brings to me is that now a lot of Pats fans will see just how valuable/good Caldwell and Gaffney can be working against the #2 DB and the FS all the time and with time under the belt in the system already.
I like this Pats receiver corp a lot.....even without CJ right now.

I love Troy, like all Pats fans, but I would rather see his position filled by a youngster from the draft....as long as the youngster earns it.

I think CJ will probably start off on PUP list then. Well this is worse news for Bam Childress. I don't think he will ever get a chance to play a down for the Pats now with this much competition coming into camp even if he catches a TD in training camp with one arm tied behind his back and a monkey covering his eyes. Too bad I would have liked the kid to have gotten a shot since he has usually been impressive before the season starts but never sticks. But I'd rather have the talent in place now then have to count on a fairly unknown guy to make the "big leap."

I think Gaffney and Caldwell both have proven their worth - while they will likely get fewer reps they provide solid depth. As long as they don't get too disgruntled over the fewer reps its not a problem.

The signing of Welker marked the passing of the baton at posession receiver - but since Troy plays two positions it wouldn't surprise me if the team finds a place for him should he decide to play another season. I hope he does, but think he's going to retire.

5 WRs are a lock. A sixth is a possiblity if they also play special teams. That could be a rookie, that could be Troy, that could be a product of someone being injured in camp. As of right now its premature to declare anyone out.

Here's the way I see it:

Caldwell
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Draft Pick

Chad J. - PUP/IR
Troy B - retired/shadow roster.

Breer a couple of days ago...

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

"Anyway, it’s all a pretty intriguing situation. If things fell into place and everything went right, the Patriots’ three-wide set could have a rehabbed Chad Jackson at the X (split end), Stallworth at the Z (flanker) and Wes Welker at the Y (slot.) Of course, there are plenty of ifs there, too."

That's a whole lot of speed on the outside. Would certainly open up the underneath for Welker to do some major damage, and would probably prevent any team from thinking about bringing the safety up.

Wrong on a couple of points, Sean. Welker WON'T be the #2, he'll play the slot WR when they go to 3 wide. Caldwell will be the "#2" and Gaffney will be the back up, when someone eventually goes down with an injury. With the Pats likely to keep 4 TEs (Watson, Thomas, Brady, Mills) It is likely that they will keep only 5 WRs on the active roster...at most. Subject to injuries, Gaffney and Caldwell have NO WORRIES about making the roster.

I feel you have have go into this season with ZERO expectations from Jackson. Then if you get something out of him at the end of the year, its gravy. I don't think the Pats would have signed Stallworth, IF it was likely that Jackson could be back in time to participate in training camp. Having a full off season was critical to Jackson's learning curve. Because of the injury its likely that he will miss training camp AGAIN. Not good. So, its better for the Pats to pretend that he won't be a factor in 2007.

I disagree. I think Gaffney's passed Caldwell. I like Caldwell's effort, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the bubble either.

Here's the way I see it:

Caldwell
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Draft Pick

Chad J. - PUP/IR
Troy B - retired/shadow roster.

Stallworth is being compensated to be the #1 WR on this team. Caldwell and Gaffney will be playing for their lives. Some guys rise to that challenge, as these two appeared to make the effort to last season, and some guys wilt under that pressure. That effort can be tough to maintain for two years running. And there is always the damned injury bug. Either way they are fighting for #2 and #2's backup this year and possibly the #2 and #4 next season. Welker is the slot or #3. Troy can back him up as WR and KR while backing up the nickle corner and serving as the emergency QB. He can also be there to show them how it is always done when you are a Patriot. I think this unit still needs a veteran leader and none of the others qualifies due to age, history, or contract status. I think Welker has the potential to replace Troy in that role as well going forward regardless of how the other 4 eventually shake out (Stallworth/Jackson, Caldwell/Gaffney).

With a 2nd already gone for Welker and a 5th already wasted on Gabriel - I wouldn't hold my breath for a WR before the end of day 2 if at all, and it's a stretch he makes the roster without a stint on the PS. I think this draft now belongs to the D.

Last edited:
It's going to be a battle....Best WR will be playing on Sunday...Just think of all the options we have now...NO MORE CHEATING DEFENSES...We will make them pay....

Stallworth is being compensated to be the #1 WR on this team.

No, he isn't. Show me a #1 WR that you can sign to a one-year $3.6 million deal. Even if we trigger the 5-year $29.5 million ($11.5 guaranteed) extension, that would be significantly less than Deon Branch got and I wouldn't count Branch as a true #1 WR.

Stallworth and Welker are both locks, with Gaffney and Caldwell battle for the third and fourth Wr.. Chad Jackson , if he can contribute will be a plus..

2 things come to mind..

1 - I like to see Gaffney in a full offseason, but he or Caldwell could be in trouble now..

2 Sad to say, and he has been a great Patriot but it could mean the end of Troy Brown.. But if troy brown does come back Reche and Jabar better be ready to work hard , because if not one or both could be gone..

I'm willing to go "All In" that we don't cut both Gaffney and Caldwell. In fact, I would be shocked to see either of them cut. Jackson, if he is lucky, will start the season on PUP (otherwise IR). Brown might retire. We will lickely keep 5wrs... who is going to knock them off the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News