PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
It's a great LB draft year. AJ Hawk, Carpenter, and Greenway to mention the best three. Greenway was considered out of our reach, but is slipped in the mocks I think because of his bench presses at the Combine. I'm now thinking LB in the 1st round. Maybe Greenway or Carpenter. Do ya agree or disagree, and why so?

When was the last time you saw BB take a LB in the 1st round? Not saying it can't happen but I dunno. Personally I would love Bobby Carpenter or Greenway at 21.

Feep_FLA said:
When was the last time you saw BB take a LB in the 1st round?

Posts from 365 days ago....No way BB and SP would ever use a #1 pick on a Guard.

Feep_FLA said:
When was the last time you saw BB take a LB in the 1st round? Not saying it can't happen but I dunno. Personally I would love Bobby Carpenter or Greenway at 21.

We were saying this same thing last year about BB and OL guys in the first round. Presto - Logan Mankins....!

So anything can happen at pick #21 this year.

If Mankins didn't play LT, we wouldn't have drafted him; ditto for Kaycur. If bb drafts a pure RG in the first round or even on Day One, I will be very surprised. A guard must be a viable option at center or tackle.

The reason this works is because great athletic offensive linemen play LT in college. LG's in the pro's are often college LT's.

dhamz said:
Posts from 365 days ago....No way BB and SP would ever use a #1 pick on a Guard.

Last edited:
dhamz said:

took the words out of my mouth

He will when he needs one. This could very well be the draft for it. We shall see.

Last year in Cleveland

Feep_FLA said:
Year RD Pick Player
1995 1 30 Craig Powell LB Ohio State

dhamz said:

They didn't draft a Guard ... they drafted a Left Tackle who never took a snap at OG until the Senior Bowl game. They moved him to LG and nearly started him at LT in the Denver Playoff game (and probably should have considering how sick Tom Ashworth was).

BB has not drafted a college player that has exclusively played OG.

Who cares what he played in college?

Mankins was projected as a Guard at the NFL level and that is where he played from rookie camp through the playoffs last year. They used their first round pick last year to fill a need at Guard which everyone said (and some apparently still believe) they would never do.

I guess you would tell me that Jacksonville drafted a QB in the first round when they took Matt Jones?

dhamz said:
Who cares what he played in college?

Mankins was projected as a Guard at the NFL level and that is where he played from rookie camp through the playoffs last year. They used their first round pick last year to fill a need at Guard which everyone said (and some apparently still believe) they would never do.

I guess you would tell me that Jacksonville drafted a QB in the first round when they took Matt Jones?
We went round and round with this last year, the simple fact exists that BB took the "most technically sound lineman" in the college ranks.* Mankins took practice reps at T and C, he also took game reps at LT during the season - pure BB. He was forced to use Gorin at LT and Hochstein at RT in the same 2004 game due to injuries - think about that for a moment, think about the value of the QB you have sitting in that pocket - then think about what "you" would do to prepare for a similar game crisis in the future? Would you draft a G to play G, or would you draft an OL to play anywhere he was needed?

Light was also projected as a G when he was drafted, not because he or Mankins couldn't play LT, but because they are 'short' at 6-4. The 'ideal' T is supposed to be 6-6 or taller with gorilla arms, which means the only tackle on the active roster who fits the ideal body type is fan favorite Brandon Gorin - I guy I project moving inside to G so 6-4 Kaczur or 6-4 Light can play RT.

Matt Jones - which situation would you feel more comfortable in, Jones your starting QB or Mankins your starting LT? Which one is more out of place starting at their college position in the NFL? Do the same for Randel El or any other QB turned WR you care to mention, they weren't drafted for their ability to drop back in the pocket and throw, unless you consider Michael Vick to be the ideal QB standard?

*http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/mankins_logan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft