PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets rank the AFC East Team's Offenses and Defenses for 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dolphins were not just a one hit wonder. They have a good team, and JT coming back makes them AFC contenders, provided he has a little left in the tank. I expect the Pats to win both over the Jets and split with Miami. I think it'll come down to the wire with the two teams, again, and it wouldn't shock me to see the AFCE send two teams to the playoffs.

sure the phins were not just a one hit wonder...they are defentely better then 2 yrs ago when they went 1-15, but they are not a 10-6 team either....i would peg em at about 6-8 wins this season

last yr they won the division by a stupid tiebraker, after having a cupcake schedule and using the suprise wildcat, plus their QB had to prove himself, and they were handed their 10th win....

the phins are not at lions level, but they arnt at pats level either, and if the phins make the PO this yr, i would be amazingly suprised

Last edited:
don't underestimate them. i'm not worried about the jets, who i think are a 4-6 win team, but the phins probably have 8-12 in the tank. good coach, solid FO, good quarterback, very good defense...the wildcat wasn't entirely responsible for their success last year. they get to the quarterback and score touchdowns in the red zone, that will make any team a threat. i expect the winner of the division to be either NE or MIA, and by no more than a 2 or 3 win margin.

don't underestimate them. i'm not worried about the jets, who i think are a 4-6 win team, but the phins probably have 8-12 in the tank. good coach, solid FO, good quarterback, very good defense...the wildcat wasn't entirely responsible for their success last year. they get to the quarterback and score touchdowns in the red zone, that will make any team a threat. i expect the winner of the division to be either NE or MIA, and by no more than a 2 or 3 win margin.

I do think that the Dolphins are a good team, but I'd be pretty surprised if they matched last year's 11-5 record, which was based largely on an easy schedule and the wildcat catching people off guard. As much as that is the case, however, they're well-coached and will play disciplined football, and will go as far as their talent can take them. Playing a division-winner's schedule, though, I don't think that that will be very far is all...

Put this thread in a time capsule until December 31st and predict the best to worst offense and defense for the AFC East this season ....

1 - Being the best
2- 2nd Best
3- 3rd Best
4- Being the worst of all 4 teams

My Rankings are ...

OFFENSE

1 - Patriots - Unless Tom Brady has forgotten how to throw a football,this offense will be dynamic - Not as good as 07 but no one should expect that.

2 - Bills - I think T.O. has found a team that may make good use out of him and I dont see him complaining about not getting the ball - Evans and Owens will give defenses a lot to work on and Lynch could be in for a 1,200 yard season even after the 3 game suspension.

3 - Dolphins - Ronnie Brown is a threat anywhere on the field and the Wildcat will be not a shock nor will it be as successful once the opposing teams have figured them out - Ginn has yet to impress but with the return of Camarillo it will help Chad immensely.

4 - Jets - I really doubt that Sanchez can duplicate what Ryan and Flacco did last season in getting their teams in playoff contention as rookies - The Jets lack of a receiver threat will come back to haunt them,if Thomas Jones does not have a good year this Jets offense could be horrid,Cotchery and Keller are not enough ammunition.

DEFENSE

1 - Jets - With Ryan as HC you know the focus will be on defense and if Rex can get Gholston and the linebackers going in the right direction like he did in Baltimore,then this defense could be a top 10 defense - The secondary looks solid and if they can get some productive LB play they will be very good on the D - Best in the East,on Paper at least for now IMO

2 - Dolphins - Porter is again the leader on the Defense and they did not lose too much from last years squad - I would think they will be pretty decent and if Jason Taylor can end his career with a productive season then the Dolphins can have an even better pass rush then last year.

3 - Patriots - O.K. I will not get much love by putting the Patriots at #3 but we are talking about a secondary that is just about totally rebuilt with a 34 year old CB starting and a CB from an 0-16 team and a rookie back there as well - no one including BB knows if they will all gel together at this point.so its up in the air as to how good they will be.
The LB corps aside from Mayo and the front 3 are all question marks,Bruschi is down to being a mentor more than being a factor and the Pass Rush is simply unknown as to who will pick up the slack - If Lenon,Crable,Banta Cain and Woods can't get it done opposite Thomas then it could be up to experience from this team at safety (Merriweather and Sanders) to carry the load if the front 3 have problems. -
I think this defense will be somewhere ranked around 14th when the season is over but hopefully the high scoring games that I expect will be plentiful this season will be on the winning side of the Pats.

4 - Bills I think the Bills have a fine corps of good young LBs but I dont really see much from the rest of the D to think they will be better than 4th in this division on D,The offense must be explosive to keep the Bills in games.

I fail to see why a young Defence playing 5 rookie/newcomers, and having its two best pass rushers injured or IR,should not be better this year than last if only by health and more expereince for the newcomers. Lets ignore al the draftees and imported talent.

That "motley crew " ended up as the Top Ten in Defence in Yards Allowed, and Top Eight in Points Allowed. A modest improvement might reasonably take them to Top Five.

You are dreaming if you think the Jest Defense wil be highgly rated. Without an Offense, they will be on the Field constantlty and wear down.

You are dreaming if you think the Jest Defense wil be highgly rated. Without an Offense, they will be on the Field constantlty and wear down.

You know, that's a good point, especially with Jenkins.

He got tired fast at the end of the season when the offense started letting drives collapse. When the centre of a three man line starts to cave, your D is in big trouble.

i will play.

Offense
1. Pats
2. Dolphins
3. Jets
4. Bills

defense
1. Jets
2. Dolphins
3. Patriots
4. Bills

=======================================================

+1

offense
1. Patriots- with the return of tom brady this offense should be in the top 10.
i dont expect much from anyone other than welker and moss at the receiving position.
2.Dolphins- with the qb situation the dolphins have, old timer pennington, new gun in henne, and wildcat.. maybe senstation in white look for the dolphins to be just outside the top 10 again this year, Tedd ginn and Davone bess are 1 year further in the system also.
3.Bills- the bills will come out strong again especially with t.o. probably going 5-1 again...
but i dont see them as having enough depth at o-line to stay that high for the season..
4.Jets- the jets.. with kellen as there main qb option until he loses is first 4 games in a row... then bringing in sanchez =/.. they might have the best o-line in the division but with losing coles, they lost there best option,
i see there offense sort of like kansas city's last year.. just with a little worst of a t.e.

Defense..
1. Dolphins- the dolphins lost 3 starters on there defense that was 9th in scoring. they lost renaldo hill, andre goodman, and cut vonnie holiday
they replaced all these people with better options, also adding more depth to the defense in every position. D-line, linebackers, corners and safety;s
2.patriots- there major deficiency is there linebacking core..
if you dont believe that you are just a fan with hope =/
the main thing about a 3-4 defense is getting to the passer.. with the upside the patriots have a top ten dline.. even if theres only 3 of them.. i just rank there 4 starting linebackers as alot lower, especially because there seems to only be 3 starters at linebacker right now
3.with the jets addition of bart scott the only player that is a clear upgrade to any position they will be improving on defense this year from last, but 1 year in a system with little depth and big mouth coach doesnt sound like good promise
4.bills - they went 2-7 at the end of the season there also playing alot touger teams this year, i think that **** jauron get alot of his talent.. i just dont think theres enough talent especially on the defensive side of the ball..

The Defense is Every teams plus side in the East Except for the patriots.. that is just my opinion.. and the opinion of the much earlier asked for "Dolphins Fan"
sooo try not to hate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes