PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's not get carried away on building D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gator Hoskins....THERE'S my guy!!!!

images

Please lets get carried away on building the D. Imagine the Pats last season with the first eight games defense combined with the last 8 games offense. Would of been nice.

I agree with the OP and I go further, we need another 2 TE starter level.

The mistake people keep doing is think that Gronk will be back and play 16 games. It's obvious to me that that is not going to happen, unfortunately. We don't even know tow that knee will react, ACL's are normal nowadays, but let's not pretend it's not a big thing, specially for a guy that size and with that speed, that could be significantly reduced.

Anything we get from Gronk now is a bonus. We need one of the top TE's of this draft and then a late round prospect.

You people are crazy. We've had a Star Wars offense; I don't remember winning any Superbowls with it.

The defense we seem to be building isn't only going to shut teams down, it's also going to create turn overs, and it's also going to SCORE points.

Brady can make due with Gronk, Dobson, Thompkins, Vereen, our running backs, etc. We don't need to compete with stat-compilers on ESPN talk shows.

We just need to kick the **** out of them on the field.

DEFENSE!

You people are crazy. We've had a Star Wars offense; I don't remember winning any Superbowls with it.

We don't need to compete with stat-compilers on ESPN talk shows.

We just need to kick the **** out of them on the field.

DEFENSE!

The only teams that I can remember winning the SB with a "Star Wars offense" was the 1999 Rams and 2009 Saints.

The 1983 Redskins, 2001 Rams, 2007 Patriots, 2011 Patriots and 2013 Broncos all got held to 17 points or less by a physical, punishing defense in a losing SB effort. The 1998 Vikings and 2011 Packers didn't make it that far.

Defense, please.

And let's not forget, a swarming, stifling, smothering, soul crushing defense is probably even more fun to watch than an elite high scoring offense.

Anyone remember watching the Denver Broncos quit the Superbowl 10 minutes into the first quarter? Whole side line of Manning faces on people who just wanted to go home and crawl in a hole before the half time show.

Defense is wicked awesome.

but but i want fantasy points ! :sick:

but but i want fantasy points ! :sick:

First rule of Fantasy Football - Never draft anyone that plays on the Patriots! :p

Well, except Gronk (kinda)

Second rule of fantasy football...it's NOT real world

I wouldn't - there's no center remotely worth taking that high in this draft. But otherwise, I'd agree with you.
I was speaking philosophically, for the benefit of those who think we need 24 wide receivers on the game day roster.

Talib leaves and we go get Revis. I don't see where we are getting carried away. Heck think about it all we've done is signed one player a very good player but still one player( Sorry not too excited about the long snapper and hooman).

Well I am all for a balance approach but there is one thing that needs to be pointed out I think.

Traditionally offensive skill players (which I think is what most of us are talking about adding) have had trouble in the past picking up our system.

I would hate to invest 5 million in Smith or Jones and have them "not get it" and think "wow... we could have used that money and found a way to sign Jared Allen" who is a plug and play impact guy.

I am not saying we should not invest in O but we do have a better track record with D players than FA WRs.

Just food for thought.

First rule of Fantasy Football - Never draft anyone that plays on the Patriots! :p

Well, except Gronk (kinda)

yeah, got him in the 4th round last season and was stoked....didn't work out so well.

they sign one CB and it was a replacement signing yes its Darrelle Revis but Talib played about as good as anyone did at CB last year and when he did come back from his injury he came back to a front 7 that was missing 3 starters, one of does starters will be cut and the other 2 are coming off of big injuries,

as good as Revis is his not going to take the 26th ranked defense to top 5 all by him self

Would love to see us get one of those top TEs (Amaro, S-Jenkins, Niklas) and then take a 6th or 7th on Colt Lyerla (low risk, HIGH reward. Similar to Dennard)

Not sure how I feel about Fiedorowicz yet

I get annoyed about the constant mocking of Nix to the Patriots too, but for a totally different reason. It seems to me a lazy matching of "positional need list" to "position player listed at," without looking at scheme fit at all.

IMO Nix would be best as a 3-4 NT, and that's no longer the Patriots' game.

Agreed. Our system is different and so are our needs. The day of the leadfoot but stout defender is pretty much a thing of the past. I am curious what we do in round 1, but would not be shocked if we traded down.

I think there is no chance Ebron lasts to pick #29 and a high chance that Amaro is gone by the time we pick. I believe that ASJ and Niklas are round 2 or later values. Taking ASJ in round 1 feels like a reach to me, but he probably would not last to our pick in round 2. Which of course makes me ask, do we finally trade Mallet when 2nd round pick offers were not good enough for us to bite in the past?

Disruption = production. If the Pats close on Browner, we have disruption at the perimeter. Now we need to get it up front.

Please, let's get "carried away".

That article makes me wonder though. Since Sherman was a WR to CB conversion, why can't we take a guy who was a receiver out of college and convert him to the CB position?

I'm thinking of one guy in particular, 6-6 WR Brandon Coleman from Rutgers.

Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

We know that BB loves Rutgers players, so it's almost like a done deal. But why not draft him to play corner instead of WR?

That article makes me wonder though. Since Sherman was a WR to CB conversion, why can't we take a guy who was a receiver out of college and convert him to the CB position?

I'm thinking of one guy in particular, 6-6 WR Brandon Coleman from Rutgers.

Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

We know that BB loves Rutgers players, so it's almost like a done deal. But why not draft him to play corner instead of WR?

First, Sherman wasn't a completely new conversion. He played both WR and DB in high school, and while he started as a WR as Stanford, he converted to CB while still in college. He was pretty raw at first (which is one reason he didn't go higher in the draft), but he wasn't a brand new conversion at the pro level.

Second, I don't know of any 6'6" 225# DBs who have been successful in the NFL. And Coleman's agility numbers (4.51 SS, 7.33 3C) aren't impressive. I don't think he has the agility, short area quickness and lateral mobility to succeed as a DB (Sherman had a 6.72 3C, for comparison). Coleman's 32.5" VJ also suggests a lack of explosiveness (Sherman had a 37", for comparison; the average for DB's is about 35"). So add it up and I see a tall guy without the quickness, agility or explosiveness to maneuver in space and react, and without any prior experience at the position.

It doesn't work for me, but you never know.

Browner signed. I just got carried away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand