PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Lawrence Guy & Adrian Phillips Released

Why should Jackson have been a cut a long time ago/ To please you?

I expect that Jackson has a couple of weeks. It seems that he needs to be cut before his bonus is due. But there is no rush. His issues are medical. It may even be difficult to cut a player who still has his medical issues. I don't know whether we would have to pay the bonus while on IR. In any case, we are not going to pay him $12.5M of salary this year. We might cut him in June or July when he is healthy. We might negotiate a new contract with him. But I don't see the rush.
He should've never been traded for.

I hope they're not tagging Dugger at $16.5M. That would be insane. Sign McKinney who is much younger and better.
It would.. but it would all depend on what thier plans are? Tagging ownenu is even more at 20.5 million. However both players are needed. But if it came down to it I'd rather have owenu.

There isn't going to be a designated GM. That much is clear. They would need to follow Rooney rule before they can do that anyway.

By all accounts, Wolf is defacto GM.
Wolfe is the designated GM the team announced he's in charge of all roster moves.

Other than JC Jackson (and maybe Chris Board) I don't see any other releases coming soon. Nothing noteworthy anyhow.

Next year though we get to say good-bye to at least JuJu and DeVante and actually save over $12M. No such luck this year with either unless some major restructuring takes place. I don't see how that could work as neither is likely in the long term plans.
Are either a potential post June 1st move? Checked on projections on Over the cap, looks like cutting Juju post June 1st would have less of a cap hit compared to cutting him before.

Also wonder if someone takes one of them if we eat some of the contract.

Wolfe is the designated GM the team announced he's in charge of all roster moves.
Yes. But I can guarantee you that Mayo has a say in them.

Phillips saw his defensive snaps fall to just 138 compared to 882 in 2021. He had over 300 special teams snaps.
Lawrence Guy played over 500 snaps on defense, which was his norm. But the quality of play wasn't what it had been. Speaking as someone who was always rooting for him, there was a point last year where I thought he might be cut early one. But he turned his game around and was steady.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guy announced his retirement since he's become so entrenched in the Community..

Yes. But I can guarantee you that Mayo has a say in them.

Phillips saw his defensive snaps fall to just 138 compared to 882 in 2021. He had over 300 special teams snaps.
Lawrence Guy played over 500 snaps on defense, which was his norm. But the quality of play wasn't what it had been. Speaking as someone who was always rooting for him, there was a point last year where I thought he might be cut early one. But he turned his game around and was steady.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guy announced his retirement since he's become so entrenched in the Community..
I agree with everything you said. I'm not sure why Philips fell out the rotation he was soild his whole time here. I definitely was a fan. Guy such remarkable man. Just a person you root for. He was an excellent community contributor. I can definitely see Guy trending towards retirement.

Are either a potential post June 1st move? Checked on projections on Over the cap, looks like cutting Juju post June 1st would have less of a cap hit compared to cutting him before.

Also wonder if someone takes one of them if we eat some of the contract.
I’m not sure but from what I saw in the past was it would be huge dead money for both but only about <$2M in savings. It looks like both will be here unless as you mentioned one is traded (Parker).

Well, it is just possible that the secondary coaches think that he can add more to the 2024 roster than Wade.

It's not even his play.

He can't be counted on.

Other than JC Jackson (and maybe Chris Board) I don't see any other releases coming soon. Nothing noteworthy anyhow.

Next year though we get to say good-bye to at least JuJu and DeVante and actually save over $12M. No such luck this year with either unless some major restructuring takes place. I don't see how that could work as neither is likely in the long term plans.
Calvin Anderson is another guy to watch. Not so much because of savings, but as a matter of whether he’ll be medically cleared to play again.

Godchaux is $12M and in his last season and is 30. I just don't think he's very good, but you're right about who to replace him with unless its in the draft.
Offense in the draft. Did you see the birthday cake that his GF gave him?

Offense in the draft. Did you see the birthday cake that his GF gave him?
He might be a cut and resign or restructured contract . 8 million savings is huge . This year let's be honest , nobody is expecting us to compete. It would be a surprise if we win more than 6 games this season.

He might be a cut and resign or restructured contract . 8 million savings is huge . This year let's be honest , nobody is expecting us to compete. It would be a surprise if we win more than 6 games this season.

This year is not about competing. Who cares what anybody thinks? 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 games is not important. All that matters is that we "burn cash" in FA and make the right draft picks. Let's hope it was BB that was not spending and making the wrong draft decisions. If RK does not spend FA cash AND extend the FA signings into the future (void years) than we know it is RK who is cheap - that is more important than winning 6 or 8 games. Is Ben Mcadoo a QB whisperer? We will find out. We have always struggled to draft WRs, will that change? We will see. We are on the cusp of a MASSIVE player acquisition period for the next 2 years, if the players chosen are not blue chip, we are screwed for 5 years. That is what matters.

He should've never been traded for.
Yeah, what a waste of a million dollars of cap money. Surely, we should stop taking shots on players.

We should fire our medical staff if they can't do better.
This year is not about competing. Who cares what anybody thinks? 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 games is not important. All that matters is that we "burn cash" in FA and make the right draft picks. Let's hope it was BB that was not spending and making the wrong draft decisions. If RK does not spend FA cash AND extend the FA signings into the future (void years) than we know it is RK who is cheap - that is more important than winning 6 or 8 games. Is Ben Mcadoo a QB whisperer? We will find out. We have always struggled to draft WRs, will that change? We will see. We are on the cusp of a MASSIVE player acquisition period for the next 2 years, if the players chosen are not blue chip, we are screwed for 5 years. That is what matters.

Perhaps, I have misunderstood.

To be clear, are you suggesting cutting all those who are unlikely to be on the future playoff contenders in two years? if so, there is a long list of guys that you might cut so that you can more young free agents for the future: Andrews, Wise, Godchaux, and J Jones quickly come to mind.

For me, I wouldn't cut any of them. I think that the OL will develop better with Andrews there another year to work alongside our backup center(s). The others will provide stability on the Defense as we move forward, continuing to have a top Defense instead of purposely reducing the quality of the Defense. It is enough this year that we need to replace Guy, Phillips, Mills and probably Dugger.

Perhaps, I have misunderstood.
Thanks for being reasonable and respectful. @ralmat55 should learn from your example so he can stop being a hateful d!ckhead.
To be clear, are you suggesting cutting all those who are unlikely to be on the future playoff contenders in two years?
Yes and no. Who can determine this hypothetical?
if so, there is a long list of guys that you might cut so that you can more young free agents for the future: Andrews, Wise, Godchaux, and J Jones quickly come to mind.
Let's discuss one at a time. D Andrews will not be here in 2026, IMO. Wise and Godchaux will not be here in 2026, IMO. J Jones might be here in 2026 - I love J Jones - great guy, so he might still be here. Now that assumes we draft players and sign FAs that are blue chip prospects. NFL = Not For Long. Don't get attached.
For me, I wouldn't cut any of them. I think that the OL will develop better with Andrews there another year to work alongside our backup center(s). The others will provide stability on the Defense as we move forward, continuing to have a top Defense instead of purposely reducing the quality of the Defense. It is enough this year that we need to replace Guy, Phillips, Mills and probably Dugger.
In 2026 you might look back and think you were wrong. J Andrews will replace D Andrews.

We are in a rebuild. That looks different than maintaining the status quo which we did with Brady and Belichick for 20 years. OH sorry, my mistake if I mention Brady and BB in the same sentence. @ralmat55 will have a hemorrage and start screaming how I am a BB apologist and need to root for a different team. How do such hate filled d!ckheads like @ralmat55 end up on a nice website like PatsFans?

Thanks for being reasonable and respectful. @ralmat55 should learn from your example so he can stop being a hateful d!ckhead.

Yes and no. Who can determine this hypothetical?

Let's discuss one at a time. D Andrews will not be here in 2026, IMO. Wise and Godchaux will not be here in 2026, IMO. J Jones might be here in 2026 - I love J Jones - great guy, so he might still be here. Now that assumes we draft players and sign FAs that are blue chip prospects. NFL = Not For Long. Don't get attached.

In 2026 you might look back and think you were wrong. J Andrews will replace D Andrews.

We are in a rebuild. That looks different than maintaining the status quo which we did with Brady and Belichick for 20 years. OH sorry, my mistake if I mention Brady and BB in the same sentence. @ralmat55 will have a hemorrage and start screaming how I am a BB apologist and need to root for a different team. How do such hate filled d!ckheads like @ralmat55 end up on a nice website like PatsFans?
I like your thinking . Keep few players to maintain culture and guide the new ones. Use this year to evaluate talent and build a strong middle class at vet minimum or bargain prices for 2025 and 2026 . Use the dollars saved there to sign marquee agents in 2025 and 2026 . This year sign players with most upside on mid level contracts , similar to bourne with possibility to exit out in 2026. No more stupid agholor, jobnu, juju type of contracts. I feel Andrews, Jonathan Smith and Peppers will provide that leadership. Bourne is also a low cost signing who will provide his value purely from leadership and making things happen in field. Onwenu can be signed if cost is around 12-14 million a year . If it crosses 17 day bye bye.

I honestly wouldn't wanyotobresign Dugger unless it's less than 10 million AAV. We can draft and build in the trenches. 2 years of development time should be sufficient to get a decent safety in 2026.

And though I like Henry let's not overpay for him . 7.5 million should be the max. Try to sign the next jake ferguson .

Most importantly keep rolling over 30 million $ every year till we find QB of future.

No Guy, eh? Brace yourself, "With the third pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Defensive Tackle..." as the TV shatters into a million shards as a brick hits it....oh wait, that would be the BB era...

Of course, three years down the road, the glitzy QB or prima donna WR that the Patriots whiffed on turns out to be embarrassing flops, while the defensive tackle turns into an All Pro and leads that Patriots to a title....oh wait, that is the BB playbook (Seymore).

Last edited:
I like your thinking . Keep few players to maintain culture and guide the new ones. Use this year to evaluate talent and build a strong middle class at vet minimum or bargain prices for 2025 and 2026 . Use the dollars saved there to sign marquee agents in 2025 and 2026 .
I do not think you have to wait for 2025 or 2026 to sign marquee players now. The 2024 defensive FA class is amazing and we can sign them for 3 or 4 years if RK will add void years and pay cash upfront.
This year sign players with most upside on mid level contracts , similar to bourne with possibility to exit out in 2026. No more stupid agholor, jobnu, juju type of contracts. I feel Andrews, Jonathan Smith and Peppers will provide that leadership. Bourne is also a low cost signing who will provide his value purely from leadership and making things happen in field. Onwenu can be signed if cost is around 12-14 million a year . If it crosses 17 day bye bye.
We do not want any mid-level contracts. We want blue chip players. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I honestly wouldn't wanyotobresign Dugger unless it's less than 10 million AAV. We can draft and build in the trenches. 2 years of development time should be sufficient to get a decent safety in 2026.

And though I like Henry let's not overpay for him . 7.5 million should be the max. Try to sign the next jake ferguson .
$7.5M for Hunter Henry? Are you hammered? Started day drinking on a Tuesday? RK has to add void years and pay the FAs. $7.5M for Hunter Henry and you want to sign Mid level players? Are you the Jonathan Kraft shadow account? WTF?

Dude, this is ridiculous. The Pats are #32 from 32 teams in FA over the next 3 years, and you want to sign mid level FAs? And Hunter Henry at $7.5M? OMG. Take the last train to nowhere.
Most importantly keep rolling over 30 million $ every year till we find QB of future.
OMG. Keep rolling over $30M every year for what? I do not know what to say. This is ridiculous. You must be a Jonathan or Robert Kraft shadow account.

I do not think you have to wait for 2025 or 2026 to sign marquee players now. The 2024 defensive FA class is amazing and we can sign them for 3 or 4 years if RK will add void years and pay cash upfront.

We do not want any mid-level contracts. We want blue chip players. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$7.5M for Hunter Henry? Are you hammered? Started day drinking on a Tuesday? RK has to add void years and pay the FAs. $7.5M for Hunter Henry and you want to sign Mid level players? Are you the Jonathan Kraft shadow account? WTF?

Dude, this is ridiculous. The Pats are #32 from 32 teams in FA over the next 3 years, and you want to sign mid level FAs? And Hunter Henry at $7.5M? OMG. Take the last train to nowhere.

OMG. Keep rolling over $30M every year for what? I do not know what to say. This is ridiculous. You must be a Jonathan or Robert Kraft shadow account.

No.. I want the floodgates to open when the team has a qb rather than be short of cash and also no qb. This year is probably not the best year to splurge.

If the defensive FA class is amazing sign ones who are better value rather than overpaying. That could be 6 million aav or 15 million AAV. Find ones whom we can derive maximum value in 2025 or 2026. Maybe leave the top 3 agents in each category and go for the ones after that who are younger with most upside and better system fit. It's a bit of moneyball , but something which could work or if it fails allows us to exit as well.

Too scarred by 2021 approach and don't want us to get there.

No.. I want the floodgates to open when the team has a qb rather than be short of cash and also no qb. This year is probably not the best year to splurge.
If we want to sign FA defensive players this is a great year. Players do not sign for one year, they sign for 3 or 4 years, so we can sign them now and realize their potential next year or the year after.
If the defensive FA class is amazing sign ones who are better value rather than overpaying.

No one ever intends to overpay.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back