PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Lawrence Guy & Adrian Phillips Released

Let's break this down.

THREE DEFENSIVE RE-SIGNINGS (Mills, Jennings, Wilson)
I would also like to all three back, although Mills is somewhat doubtful; I'd add Bryant.

TWO RE-SIGNS ON OFFENSE (KB, Henry)
I agree trying to re-sign both.

FRANCHISE TAG
I don't expect any.

DUGGER TO GO ELSEWHERE
I agree.

SIGNING OF RIDLEY AND BROWN
Other than Bourne, WR isn't a high priority in free agency.
I agree. But on WR here's where I'm in Conflict with. The offense was so bad the last 2 seasons that it's hard to fairly and correctly assess the WRs. Now pop Douglas is special he has elite speed and great hands. He's the future slot/Troy brown type. Parker will make 2 good plays and either dissappear in games or drop passes in big spots. Juju can't stay on the field. KB was the teams best WR and got hurt. So adding a Ridley or brown would help to allow guys to play in thier respective roles. It would also allow more favorable match ups with 3rd and 4th CBs and safeties. On the tag, they need to use it. Identify a player you want to tag (owenu) and apply it. It's just a temporary place holder until a long term deal can be reached. This O line needs a LT and RT. We are weaker without owenu.

I agree. But on WR here's where I'm in Conflict with. The offense was so bad the last 2 seasons that it's hard to fairly and correctly assess the WRs. Now pop Douglas is special he has elite speed and great hands. He's the future slot/Troy brown type. Parker will make 2 good plays and either dissappear in games or drop passes in big spots. Juju can't stay on the field. KB was the teams best WR and got hurt. So adding a Ridley or brown would help to allow guys to play in thier respective roles. It would also allow more favorable match ups with 3rd and 4th CBs and safeties. On the tag, they need to use it. Identify a player you want to tag (owenu) and apply it. It's just a temporary place holder until a long term deal can be reached. This O line needs a LT and RT. We are weaker without owenu.
A franchise tag is NOT a placeholder. The amount immediately counts against out cap. Onwenu will simply sign it and guarantee his $20M. He will have little incentive to sign a long term deal. Even if he does, the $20M for one year is sort of baked into any deal. If Onwenu is "worth" $16M AAV on the open market, is he worth that to us as a RT? Or should we simply sign another free agent.

FOR ME
I don't expect us to sign a long-tern deal with Onwenu. His agent will get him more elsewhere. The question is whether we are willing to pay him $20M for one year, while we our new rookie OT's develop. Given just how much we are screwed at OT, I could see us franchising him if we can't sign a starting free agent and a swing OT in free agency. The 2nd OT starter would be our 2nd draft pick. If we can't get a decent starter in free agency, I could see us franchising Onwenu. Unfortunately, the franchise decision comes before free agency starts.

Last edited:
A franchise tag is NOT a placeholder. The amount immediately counts against out cap. Onwenu will simply sign it and guarantee his $20M. He will have little incentive to sign a long term deal. Even if he does, the $20M for one year is sort of baked into any deal. If Onwenu is "worth" $16M AAV on the open market, is he worth that to us as a RT? Or should we simply sign another free agent.

FOR ME
I don't expect us to sign a long-tern deal with Onwenu. His agent will get him more elsewhere. The question is whether we are willing to pay him $20M for one year, while we our new rookie OT's develop. Given just how much we are screwed at OT, I could see us franchising him if we can't sign a starting free agent and a swing OT in free agency. The 2nd OT starter would be our 2nd draft pick. If we can't get a decent starter in free agency, I could see us franchising Onwenu. Unfortunately, the franchise decision comes before free agency starts.
By the time it comes time to franchise Owenhu, we'll have talked to enough agents to know whether we're going to sign another OT in free agency or not. If we franchise him it's because we know we won't be able to find a good one for cheaper.

How does it work for Onwenu? He played most his career at guard and half the season at guard. Does he get a guard or tackle tag?

FOR ME
Agreed! The tag unfortunately..is in a sense a " place holder " of sorts.. players user to scoff at it now it's welcomed. Do you think Joe Thuney for example the last player we tagged was upset with making 16 million as an O lineman in 2020 middle of a pandemic? This isn't the bill patriots any longer. Bill controlled, manipulated and handled the roster/cap as he saw fit during his time. We need to spend to pay player's no matter what. So if you don't think your keeping Onwenu long term then ok don't tag him. Some player's get the transition tag and some get the franchise tag. We Can't be last in spending, and think we Going to have a roster to compete each season. The equalizer that allowed that to happen is retired and I don't mean Denzel! Of course identify player's you want to retain and target FA within the framework of what you want to spend.

How does it work for Onwenu? He played most his career at guard and half the season at guard. Does he get a guard or tackle tag?
Good question. His agent could make a great case for him that he played both positions. However is 20 million to Tag him and 16 to tag Dugger

By the time it comes time to franchise Owenhu, we'll have talked to enough agents to know whether we're going to sign another OT in free agency or not. If we franchise him it's because we know we won't be able to find a good one for cheaper.
Jonah hill is on the teams radar. The franchise as you know of course, is a tool used by teams. In a sense a place holder on a player if an agreement cannot be worked out right away. I know players used to hate it. However I'm sure Thuney wasn't complaining when he was tagged and then went to KC on a lucrative long-term deal. However ownenu is a good player, he's home grown. He should be re-signed here IMO.

MARCH 5th - date to designate a franchise player

MARCH 11th - first date that we can talk to agents

Do I have this wrong?

I like Bentley and Tavai. And with Judon coming back this a pretty solid group.

I wouldn't be mad if Mayo went after another LB and stamped his mark on D. Bring back Dugger and add a DT and this should be a top ten D again.
Agreed. We actually were a top defensive team last season. Wich is more frustrating becuase AVPs offense in Cleveland last season was like 12th.. with a 12th ranked offense we are a playoff team with this D.. I think we should re-up Jennings, Wilson as well.

I agree with wide receiver part. Maybe this year is not to compete , so if we get lucky and draft our puka nacua in later rounds this year or if Thornton comes of age , wide receiver is not a priority considering that we are not even competing this year . Douglas will continue to grow in and Bourne should be a good complimentary piece along with henry . I expect juju to put all stops this year to remain relevant so he could end up being a decent wr 3. Parker is a lost cause .

If the receivers don't pan out this year we can try next year . I hope we trade down with chargers, grab an extra second if we are enamored with McCarthy. More likely than not we will pick top 8 next year so can grab an elite wr then and also be done with contracts of juju and parker so will have enough cap space to possibly sign higgins .
I agree. However ownership will say they are trying to win. As AVP said yesterday everything is under consideration. If.. just we can get the QB position right we could suprise some people

We just need to aquire as much talent as we can draft, trades, FA and build back a winner.

MARCH 5th - date to designate a franchise player

MARCH 11th - first date that we can talk to agents

Do I have this wrong?
Unofficially, personnel officials talk to agents. Agents talk to personnel officials. Everyone has a pretty clear idea what FAs are going to cost and who is interested. It's one of those things where every team is having those conversations ahead of the deadlines.

To be clear, you are suggesting that the team will know who they will be able to sign before March 5th, That is truly amazing. Even if we knew what ever player was willing to accept, we wouldn't know what offers would be made by different teams.

Sign me up for Mike evans

To be clear, you are suggesting that the team will know who they will be able to sign before March 5th, That is truly amazing. Even if we knew what ever player was willing to accept, we wouldn't know what offers would be made by different teams.
Their agents do. Tampering is pretty much accepted in the NFL. It's how so many players sign contracts at the beginning of free agency. Their agents have been not-officially negotiating for weeks to find who are the teams interested, what the player is worth, etc. I guarantee that Owenhu and his agent have a great idea what teams are interested and how much they're interested.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back