PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Arrington: a rising star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrington and Slater are top special teamers who will return to the team for 2010. I also expect that we will re-sign Woods.

Last edited:
That's great, but wake me up when we find a kick returner who can do more than run straight and fall down. :(

BritPat said:
Slater also returns - and he's not great. That's why I said, 'even Slater'.

I don't see Kyle Arrington returning kicks either so he must suck too right :rolleyes:

I think we all know by now Slater isn't going to be the kick returner we hoped we were getting but that doesn't mean he sux or is an after thought (even). The guy is a very good STer and has proven it through his first two seasons by being one of our best gunners, vice guy, and cover guy.

Um, no, they rank 16th, in return average. Actual return yards don't matter that much; the less touchdowns an opposing offense scores, the fewer total returns and fewer return yards you'll have.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

My mistake; I was under the impression that our KR wasn't all that stellar. I remember reading something along the lines of "next to last" on Reiss. It may have been in reference to something else.

My mistake; I was under the impression that our KR wasn't all that stellar. I remember reading something along the lines of "next to last" on Reiss. It may have been in reference to something else.

I think it was starting field position after KO.

Arrington and Slater are top special teamers who will return to the team for 2010. I also expect that we will re-sign Woods.

I expect to re-sign Woods too. The nice thing about him is he plays good ST, and whether or not you'd want him as a starting OLB, he CAN play there, so he adds depth.

WW is fine with punts, but we need KO returner. Edelman is the most recent candidate, but with good quickness and less speed and strength, he looks better suited to PR. Heading into the playoffs, this is not a position of strength.

Kick returners have to have good vision, courage and be able to stick their foot in the ground and explode out of the cut. It seems to me that Wheatley or Butler are good potential kick returners, if they can catch.

Are you giving up on Alexander????

I don't see Kyle Arrington returning kicks either so he must suck too right :rolleyes:

I think we all know by now Slater isn't going to be the kick returner we hoped we were getting but that doesn't mean he sux or is an after thought (even). The guy is a very good STer and has proven it through his first two seasons by being one of our best gunners, vice guy, and cover guy.

Erm, did you read the first part where I praised Slater?

Clearly not. And he isn't great returning kicks, although I didn't say he 'sucked' either :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to meet and speak with Kyle Arrington. He is a very humble and respectful individual. He was very saddened to see Hofstra drop Football and he is very thankful for the opportunity to go out there and show the Patriots and NFL what he can do.

Fast question: Can he return kickoffs? Seems pretty quick and fast .

Happy new Year !!!

I think it was starting field position after KO.

That's exactly what it was.. thanks..

Reiss mentioned that we are next to last in that category. I have been trying to find the link but haven't been able to.

That's exactly what it was.. thanks..

Reiss mentioned that we are next to last in that category. I have been trying to find the link but haven't been able to.

Which is not only composed of kickoff returns, but also punt returns, opposing punters inside 20 rate, and how many times other teams turn it over deep in opposing territory.

So is it really a bad thing if Shawn Springs intercepts a pass at the 2-yard line like he did against the Jags? That gave the Pats terrible field position, but is that really a bad thing?

Which is not only composed of kickoff returns, but also punt returns, opposing punters inside 20 rate, and how many times other teams turn it over deep in opposing territory.

So is it really a bad thing if Shawn Springs intercepts a pass at the 2-yard line like he did against the Jags? That gave the Pats terrible field position, but is that really a bad thing?

Obviously stats are all subjective but your point isn't exactly valid because it is likely that turnovers occur on both sides of the field fairly equally.

That is an aberration unlikely to skew the data that much, and besides who's to say that this doesn't also happen to other teams?

The fact is that KR/PR occurs far more times than interceptions/OP/turnovers and so the data is reasonably representative of how well we do in that area.

Other than Welker (who I think is overrused) we don't really have a returner that has the speed/vision to see, or rather to feel, how the field is going to open up.

Are they there those who think we have a good or great return game? Are those who think we don't need an improvment in our returners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News