PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft Family ignores Pats best interests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kraft understands PR.

He got two days of favorable coverage in international news (e.g., a prominently linked story on CNN.com) at the cost of $25,000 or so.

If you think about it, that's what the Putin/ring incident really boiled down to. (After all, Kraft could always have a replacement made if he really missed the ring.)

He gets that back MANY times over when, for example, he has to go to political authorities for favor.s

Look at it this way - Solman has offered up a post of such unfeasible stupidity that he has succeeded in uniting all but 1 or 2 posters in the opposition camp.

Its probably just some dork school kid who wanted to see what sort of reaction he could get by posting something incredibly inane.

To merely point out that there is very little difference between the 28th pick in the 7th round and a UDFA would probably be wasted.

Hey I hope we don't give away any of our UDFA picks.........then I'd be forced to follow the Colts instead.

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to show a little class.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but with a seventh-round draft pick.

--TS Eliot
Sort of.

Thanks for noting your source. You're too dang funny to have you suspended for 2 months.

You do understand that it saved yall a lot of money by doing that. I'm kind of sad for Wes because of that actually.

Take a moment to understand the versatility that you get with Welker. He basically has played every position on the football field except QB, OL/DL, and LB. In 2004, Welker became the second player in NFL history to return a kickoff and a punt, kick an extra point and a field goal, and make a tackle in the same game. Saban said last season if their DB got hurt in the game he would insert Welker into the game as DB.

He's also a great locker room guy. He won't get in trouble. He's a hard worker.

Some history about Welker.

He was all-state in Oklahoma as a RB and DB. In HS he played: RB, DB, WR, KR, PR, and K. He received no offers coming out of HS. He got on to TTU because another player that had already been offered a scholarship backed out of it.

He originally was slated as a RB but we moved him to Inside Receiver. He set a new record for punt returns in the NCAA.

His stats from NCAA Stats.

Rushing
80 carries for 562 yards and 2 TD.

Receiving
259 receptions for 3069 yards and 21 TD.

Punt Return
152 returns for 1761 yards and 8 TD.

Kick Return
21 returns for 341 yards.

Wes Welker College Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or9nXE-T1KM

Record Setting Punt Return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfGvWR-Hp34

Here's some videos of his NFL work.

Vs Steelers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ9p5BC1-6g

Vs Chiefs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iUqk8TiPI

but for the most part people are just giving their opinions, like always.

True, but Solman did ask for an explanation of the Pats' end of the Welker trade and that's what he is getting--in spades!

You do understand that it saved yall a lot of money by doing that. I'm kind of sad for Wes because of that actually.
Thanks for the links. That dude is fast- good burst.

Did the Kraft family just surrender a 7th round draft pick so that they could look good in owners meetings?

Until now, I have always defended them against charges that they were cheap or that they wouldn't do whatever was necessary to help the Patriots win.

I feel betrayed. I hope that somebody comes up with an explanation of how this will help the team in the long run.

Actually they did it to trim 20 million off a contract... i guess thats not worth it at all. I don't know which one i'de like...7th round pick or 20 million dollars???

How will i ever decide?

Did the Kraft family just surrender a 7th round draft pick so that they could look good in owners meetings?

Until now, I have always defended them against charges that they were cheap or that they wouldn't do whatever was necessary to help the Patriots win.

I feel betrayed. I hope that somebody comes up with an explanation of how this will help the team in the long run.

Huh ? a 7th round pick ?

We didn't save a penny.

Press reports before the deal indicated that the first five years of a poison pill deal would worth approximately $18M. After the deal, the press reported that the deal was worth approximately $18.1M over 5 years.

I'll bet (at better than even money) that the first five years are EXACTLY identical.

The truth is, if we saved even one penny and the union found out about it, they would insist on filing a grievance.

We didn't save a penny.

Press reports before the deal indicated that the first five years of a poison pill deal would worth approximately $18M. After the deal, the press reported that the deal was worth approximately $18.1M over 5 years.

I'll bet (at better than even money) that the first five years are EXACTLY identical.

The truth is, if we saved even one penny and the union found out about it, they would insist on filing a grievance.

You're missing the point, Solman.

By doing this, the Pats are saving the big bucks they would have otherwise had to pay that all-important 7th rounder you so covet!

Thanks for noting your source. You're too dang funny to have you suspended for 2 months.

PFnV, you were suspended for 2 months? sorry for just crawling out from under my rock, but what the hell for? You have to be one of the funniest and trully well writen posters I have seen, what gives?

PD.

We didn't save a penny.

Solman,
I have to agree with the majority of my piers here and say It was a smart move on the part of Mr. Kraft ( helps PR and looks good to other teams, even though it helps us in not having to be locked in an offer sheet deal) BB, he gets his troy brown replacement in all facets of the game, WR, KR, K, PR, P, RB, except maybe DB, but he can learn.....and SP who with his bright and imaginative mind developed the poison pill offer sheet which clearly stated that Welker had to play in a Minimum of 4 games in Miami, ok so lets break that down shall we...we play Miami twice a year, so that is 2 games. Ok then we play Miami once in Foxboro and once IN MIAMI a year (unless you count playoffs, but that actually doesn't count since the game will most likely be played here) ok so by my count, Welker will have to be HERE AT Least 4 Years BEFORE his money in the contract becomes Guaranteed...so we then TRADE the 7th round pick (#28 with 4 more to go to MR. irrelevant, who we got last year...and CUT) to GUARANTEE UNINHIBITED negations with a RESTRICTIVE RIGHT FREE AGENT, which anyone will tell you is close to impossible to agree with the player as well as their old team.

So in summation to your 1, 2 3 statements:
1. I have always supported the Krafts on every other issue, especially the "Krafts are cheap chant".

1) well, I would beg to differ, we could be like the redskins and pay the moon to all who want to play, but were has that gotten them, and how many have stayed?
2. I think this is a good deal but...

2) Butts are for sitting....it was a great deal! and a steal at that IE: NO Locked guaranteed money (except from the contract to come) A great young player (3 years in)

3. GIVING UP DRAFT PICKS FOR NOTHING IS BULLSH*T
3) That would be true if we just gave out higher picks like dealing cards, but the 7th round pick (#28 to reiterate) for the rights to put a Pats jersey on Welker and TAKE him away from a Hated rival is nothing like Bull excrement as you so eloquently put it. I just don't know how to explain it any better to you?

I hope it helps, if not then why don't you write BB or SP and ask them for a legitimate reason for their Pat's day Give-away! as you so like to make it out to be...

PD.

BB is crazy like a fox.

He gave up a seventh so he is entitled to a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in 2008. We have signed three FA and will probably lose four in Graham, TBC, Dillon and Pass. If you have more singings than losses you are disqualified to get comp picks even if the signings are for nobodies and the losses are for stars.

By giving up a 7th to Miami Welker becomes a trade not a signing. We lose four sign three (or maybe four) and still get compensation for losing Graham and TBC both of whom will sign big contracts, I'll bet.

Would I trade a 7th this year for a 3rd or even 4th next year?

I'd have to be pretty dumb not to do so, since the established rate is one round move up for a pick this year, versus delaying a year until the next draft....

I hope it helps, if not then why don't you write BB or SP and ask them for a legitimate reason for their Pat's day Give-away! as you so like to make it out to be...

As the media have since confirmed, BB and SP didn't do this, Kraft did.

Perhaps the question should be:

If this was such a great idea, why didn't BB and SP make the trade with the Fins on their own? Why did Kraft get involved?

The answer is obvious:

BB and SP are concerned entirely with putting the best possible team on the field.

Kraft got involved because in this case he felt that other considerations should be taken into account.

In retrospect, it wasn't such a terrible decision. He owns the team and can do with it as he pleases.

But I had repeatedly written and argued that the Krafts always do whatever will put the best football team on the field.

They consistently did so, and I came to expect that of them.

Yesterday, they deliberately chose to put non-football concerns ahead of football concerns.

That breached the agreement I had with them (which clearly existed only in my head).

Even if it was "only" a seventh round draft pick, it means that the Krafts do NOT always put fielding the best team over all other considerations. I regret that.

BB is crazy like a fox.

He gave up a seventh so he is entitled to a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in 2008.

We are NOT, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT, getting a 3rd or 4th round compensatory draft pick in 2008.

If you believe this, then you are completely ignorant of the compensatory draft pick system.

It is very improbable that the Pats will get any compensatory picks in 2008.

If there is anybody in this forum who would wager that I am wrong, I would be happy to take their money.

"...They consistently did so, and I came to expect that of them.

Yesterday, they deliberately chose to put non-football concerns ahead of football concerns...

Wait a minuet, It was a football concern, if not then Miami (or even the jets) could have put an offer on the tenure sheet to match or better. What They, and I mean Mr. Kraft, BB, & SP did was to solidify that they didn't get burned like last year. It was a betterment for the team. ok, just look at this for a minuet. BB & SP are great at getting guys to come here, some have played for less, and some have played for a little more, but the overall consensus is they know value correct? ok, moving on...MR. Kraft knows business side of Team, he writes the checks, makes the Pr stuff with his son Jonathon and the consensus is they know how to evaluate cost and run this team with a winning edge. so we all agree that with Genius minds of a coach, player personal, and a GM that there IS a winning combination; 3 SB wins to that measure, and 2 runners up if you count those.( I'll take that any day)

ok, so who is it to say that BB & SP wrote the draft of the tenure and the Kraft's added their knowledge of business for the business, the football team. Makes sense to me, of course we are all speculating about the logistics of the matter, for all we know it was copied and pasted by the media from this forum....then again, Wes does have a Pat's jersey on.... now for how long that is up to the Genius minds to debate.....

Nuf said

PD.

Even if it was "only" a seventh round draft pick, it means that the Krafts do NOT always put fielding the best team over all other considerations. I regret that.
You are such a ninny. We have the team we have because Kraft put his vision into it. It is his vision that brought us out of the swamp and into the limelight. He didn't go it because he was a scumbag, it was because he had character and honor.

He again behaved that way. Yeah, he could have forced it, but what would that tell about him? He is instrumental in shaping the NFL, and this poison pill stuff is not his vision of the NFL. Many owners tried to get rid of it, I suspect he is one.

There are many areas where the Patriots push the NFL rules envelope. None involve disrespecting other teams. This is in character for Kraft.

I cannot believe you are still whining and crying about this. Get over it.

Or start a "WE WANT VICTOR KIAM BACK" campaign. Your inability to see why Kraft gave up the pick makes you a fine Kiam kind of guy.

We are NOT, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT, getting a 3rd or 4th round compensatory draft pick in 2008.

If you believe this, then you are completely ignorant of the compensatory draft pick system.

It is very improbable that the Pats will get any compensatory picks in 2008.

If there is anybody in this forum who would wager that I am wrong, I would be happy to take their money.

You're viewing this way too narrowly. Belichick or Pioli don't sit in owners meetings. He has an additional perspective you don't have. Let's take your premise as true -- that Kraft stepped in to make this deal. Why do you assume that this was not entirely a football move on his part? Specifically, he may have viewed it as a very inexpensive way to help insulate his team from being UFA poison pill victims in the long run. Or, he might have viewed this as a way to become something of a statesman in the owner's meeting and to garner more influence, which is like a chip he can put in his pocket and use in the future when he needs consensus on a rule change or something else that helps his team.

The bottom line is that the owner will sometimes have a perspective that the employees don't, including about what matters for giving yourself the best chance to win football games and championships. I don't think you have nearly enough information to be able to say what was in Kraft's heart or mind, and it very well could have been a straight football decision. Now, you may think he made the wrong judgment or that it was bad judgment, but that certainly doesn't break you mythical contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST