PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Knowshon Moreno ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Blount, my concern is that when he was in the game it was to run. It seems he isn't good at pass protection. I would prefer players who can be in on running or passing plays and who can catch and more importantly pick up the blitz and protect Brady.

I like Blount, my concern is that when he was in the game it was to run. It seems he isn't good at pass protection. I would prefer players who can be in on running or passing plays and who can catch and more importantly pick up the blitz and protect Brady.

That's my concern as well, and why I like Moreno so much.

This is overrated.
Our pass offense is not predicated on the RB being a receiver. We can throw just fine with a guy like Blount in the backfield.
Every formation is better for somethings than others and theorectically can tip your hand, but it also sets up things like play action.
We threw a lot of passes with Blount on the field last year, lets not pretend he comes in and we run 90% of the time.

I think Moreno is a bit overrated but, he's still a good player. Only had 4.3 ypc including his ridiculous game against us. But, he's an every down back and he doesn't fumble. What's not to love about that? Also we'd be stealing him from Denver :p

I'm always a bit leery of guys that have career years while also in contract years. But I would take him at the right price. Defenses wouldn't be able to telegraph whether the Pats are running or passing with him in the backfield. I would still prefer Blount, though. I liked the physical, downhill style of running that he was doing at the end of last season and in the playoffs.

I was going to say the same thing. Up until last season, people were calling him somewhat of a 1st round bust. Then he comes into the 2013 season (contract season) bigger, stronger, and I have to admit, when I watched him, all of a sudden he looked like Marshawn Lynch on some runs. But looking at his career, I really rather have Blount back, I really don't think Moreno is worth throwing big money at.

I was going to say the same thing. Up until last season, people were calling him somewhat of a 1st round bust. Then he comes into the 2013 season (contract season) bigger, stronger, and I have to admit, when I watched him, all of a sudden he looked like Marshawn Lynch on some runs. But looking at his career, I really rather have Blount back, I really don't think Moreno is worth throwing big money at.

I wouldnt worry too much. Whether its Blount, Moreno or someone else they wont be throwing big money at a RB.

One thing is for sure, Moreno has the strongest tear ducts in the NFL. That has to be worth something.

moreno.gif

I'm always a bit leery of guys that have career years while also in contract years. But I would take him at the right price. Defenses wouldn't be able to telegraph whether the Pats are running or passing with him in the backfield. I would still prefer Blount, though. I liked the physical, downhill style of running that he was doing at the end of last season and in the playoffs.

Although he did have his best year in his contract year, he did have a pretty decent year in his rookie season in McDaniels' offense. If he can reproduce that, he could make a good change of pace or rotational guy.

I doubt the Pats would give either him or Blount a big deal and, if either were going to break the bank, they would be signed by now.

I want Blount back, but I have a feeling that he won't reproduce the production he had at the end of the year last year. Teams will be more ready for him this year.

McDaniels drafted Moreno with the #11 pick in the 2009 draft so I would have to assume he is fond of Moreno’s skillset. I would sign Moreno over Blount personally because I have more concerns over Vereen staying healthy for a full season than I do that Ridley and Bolden could run inside effectively.

I want Blount back, but I have a feeling that he won't reproduce the production he had at the end of the year last year. Teams will be more ready for him this year.

You know what made Blount such a terrific player last season, the fact that he was being paid $680K and little was expected. I have a feeling when you put his salary at $2M plus and have real expectations for him he will not be as impressive to the Patriots fan base.

You know what made Blount such a terrific player last season, the fact that he was being paid $680K and little was expected. I have a feeling when you put his salary at $2M plus and have real expectations for him he will not be as impressive to the Patriots fan base.

but i don't expect him to do that every game even though he did at end of year. He is a player who can just pop up out of no where and have a big game

I never knew how much Blount was making and it made no difference to me at all, what mattered was that he was making significant contributions and had huge games that changed the way they were playing certain teams and made them more physical as a team.

I just hope Ridley isn't on the outs. He's a huge talent that just needs to cut down on the fumbles.

If we do, we would be copying the Broncos. The answer is no.

I swear on everything I own that I was going to make a thread a few days ago talking about Knowshon being a real option for us since Blount may be on the way out. Went on twitter this morning and saw that tweet, then came here and saw this thread. Perfect fit with everything he brings to the table and a 2 headed monster with Him and Ridley to go along with the defense we have would really add another dimension to the offense. He's a tougher, more natural runner than Vereen but with much softer hands, blocking and elusiveness than Ridley. He's really like a Joker to Ridleys King and Vereens Ace. The playbook is completely open with him on the field.

I swear on everything I own that I was going to make a thread a few days ago talking about Knowshon being a real option for us since Blount may be on the way out. Went on twitter this morning and saw that tweet, then came here and saw this thread. Perfect fit with everything he brings to the table and a 2 headed monster with Him and Ridley to go along with the defense we have would really add another dimension to the offense. He's a tougher, more natural runner than Vereen but with much softer hands, blocking and elusiveness than Ridley. He's really like a Joker to Ridleys King and Vereens Ace. The playbook is completely open with him on the field.

I've mentioned him before, though I haven't really considered him a serious option before the rumors started. I actually was hoping Denver would cut him last year or the year before, when he was on the fringe, and thought he would have been a great pick up at the time. I agree with everything you say.

Moreno is a very solid all-around back. Good runner, good receiver, good blocker. Very nice piece to have, if they get him.

He's not exactly the second coming of Tomlinson, however.

Moreno is a very solid all-around back. Good runner, good receiver, good blocker. Very nice piece to have, if they get him.

He's not exactly the second coming of Tomlinson, however.

He doesn't have to be an offense like Denver's or New England's ;)

Posted this in the Blount thread but i'll post it here too

Put any NFL proven back in the Patriots system and they'll do reasonably well. Sammy Morris in the Brady-less 2008 had by far his best season in the NFL. Laurence freaking Maroney was good for a period of time in the Pats system.

But my whole thing with Moreno vs Blount comes down to one thing.

Moreno 60 rec 584 yards 3 TD
Blount 2 rec 38 rec (32 yards on 1 rec)

Pats need a guy that can help in the run and pass game not just the run game. So if Vereen happens to miss some games they're not sitting there with Brandon Bolden as the pass catching back.

And if anyone says Moreno had a fluke season catching the ball, in 2010 with McDaniels as the head coach and Kyle Orton as the QB he had 37 rec on 48 targets for 372 yards and 3 TD.

I lean Moreno if it is Moreno vs Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick