PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Herbstreit on Mac Jones

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know it is just one opinion, but it is the dead part of the off-season without anything going on. So I figured I would post.

Herbstreet is joining big Al Michaels on Thursday Night Football and needs to get his name out there since he is basically unknown in NFL circles.

Herbstreet is joining big Al Michaels on Thursday Night Football and needs to get his name out there since he is basically unknown in NFL circles.
Al Michaels is a pro, much like Mike Tirico....but both bore me to death.
But..........
Al Michaels openly mocking the wretched quality of most every Thursday Night game he covers is solid gold.

I hope he is right.
A Boutte breakout or a Hopkins signing would go a long way.

Yes, people weren’t thinking much about Herbstreit, but now that he said he is behind Mac Jones 1000% the only thing people in the NFL can talk about is Herbstreit’s hot take.

I know you have an irrational hate of Mac Jones, but even you cannot believe that BS.

I am confident we didn't see the best he has to offer. I'm pretty confident last year won't set him back. But we still don't know what his ceiling is.

Well, people in New England's big market have now noticed him. He'll say something about another big market team next and continue to get his personal publicity ball rolling. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he says.

giphy.gif

I mean, it sounds like a hot take, but is "The Patriots will be a top 3 most improved offense in 2023" really a huge limb to go out on? He's not saying it'll be a top 3 offense overall, just top 3 most improved. Who else is in the bucket for teams whose offenses are likely to improve for 2023:

Jets with Rodgers
Broncos with Payton
Ravens if Lamar is healthy all year
Patriots with O'Brien
Browns with Watson all year

You could also throw in maybe the Giants with Waller and Jaguars with Ridley, but there's question marks there IMO.

So thinking the Patriots could be a top 3 improved offense, especially given where they were last year, isn't a scorching hot take to me. They're on a shortlist of teams that are most likely to do that, just have to see how all of the new players/coaches for those teams work out in the end.

Herbstreit watched a lot of Mac in College, so he has confidence in him.

I agree that Mac was wrongly scapegoated in 2022 , but these analysts don't seem to catch themselves when they say he had "no offensive weapons last year", yet the virtually the same cast has returned aside from Juju and Gesicki. And the debate has been how much of an upgrade he is over Myers. Now if Hopkins signs and has gas in the tank, that will change things.

Disagree that O'Brien is "as good as offensive mind as there is". He had mediocre offenses in Houston including the time he had Watson. However, at worst he should provide some structure/stability to the offense.

OL is a big concern and will make this offense extremely limited if they can't figure out the T situation.

I hope he is right.
A Boutte breakout or a Hopkins signing would go a long way.
The thought of a Pats rookie receiver breaking out year one feels like such an unrealistic fantasy given the team's history drafting the position. Would love it though.

Kirk Herbstreit cried on air talking about politics and sjw issues ..his opinion doesn't matter.

Sounds like he and Mark Brunell should get together and have a sword fight.

Lol, I literally just transcribed all of this earlier this morning as I wasn't sure if anyone would see it for this morning's entry:

But here's the text for anyone who can't watch the video:

--

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit appeared on The Pat McAfee Show on Thursday and talked about a variety of topics, with Herbstreit having an extremely positive outlook on the upcoming New England Patriots season.

During the segment, Herbstreit told McAfee he believes that Bill Belichick's football team will be among the most improved teams offensively, coming off of what was obviously a frustrating year.

"Let me just say this. I'm not going to say they're going to be the most improved offense, and he'll be the most improved quarterback in the league, but he's going to be in the top three," said Herbstreit of Jones. "Without a doubt, the Patriots are going to one of the top three improved offenses."

Herbstreit then went on to praise Jones, who he believes absolutely has a promising future ahead of him. He also expressed frustration in what he watched the young quarterback go through last year, and believes that any of his critics have no idea what they're talking about given what Jones had to deal with in 2022.

"I'm 1000% behind Mac Jones," said Herbstreit. "Of all the younger quarterbacks that have not had an opportunity to kind of prove their consistency and what they can offer, I'm just telling you right now, I sit here in whatever month we're in, June, I'm telling you right now that Mac Jones is going to be a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback in the very near future whether it's this year or in the next couple years. He's that good."

"I did a thing for the draft in 2021 when I sat down with Trevor [Lawrence], and Justin Fields and Mac and a few other guys that went out that year, there were like five of them in the first round, and he was by far the most impressive guy when it came to ... he was coming out of [Steve Sarkisian]'s offense at Alabama at the time, that 2020 National Championship team where they blew Ohio State out. I would say that everybody talks about [Joe] Burrow in '19 at LSU, I would say '20 with Mac, because when you talk to him about the offense, he was honestly the most impressive quarterback I've ever spoken to in college at what he sees and how his brain processes and how it fires."

"So give me a break on what they were doing offensively last year. I mean, he had no chance. Not only did he not have weapons around him, but what they were doing schematically, he had no chance. So to blame him, is a bunch of bulls**t. So you get Billy O'Brien, who is as good an offensive mind as there is to come in there and work with Mac Jones, I'm telling you right now, you're going to see a drastic change in what he's doing as a quarterback and what the Patriots are going to be able to do on that side of the football."

"That's just my feelings. We'll see what is when the season starts. But get ready for a much improved Patriots season this year."

Last edited:
Herbstreit watched a lot of Mac in College, so he has confidence in him.

I agree that Mac was wrongly scapegoated in 2022 , but these analysts don't seem to catch themselves when they say he had "no offensive weapons last year", yet the virtually the same cast has returned aside from Juju and Gesicki. And the debate has been how much of an upgrade he is over Myers. Now if Hopkins signs and has gas in the tank, that will change things.

Disagree that O'Brien is "as good as offensive mind as there is". He had mediocre offenses in Houston including the time he had Watson. However, at worst he should provide some structure/stability to the offense.

OL is a big concern and will make this offense extremely limited if they can't figure out the T situation.
Did Herb mention if he believes BB will have more confidence in Mac's arm this season and finally allow him to attempt a Hail Mary if necessary?

Yes, people weren’t thinking much about Herbstreit, but now that he said he is behind Mac Jones 1000% the only thing people in the NFL can talk about is Herbstreit’s hot take.

I know you have an irrational hate of Mac Jones, but even you cannot believe that BS.
Probowl as a rookie and the playoffs. His TD dance is right up there.

Herbstreet knows his football.

Reasonable take. LFG!

The thought of a Pats rookie receiver breaking out year one feels like such an unrealistic fantasy given the team's history drafting the position. Would love it though.
The vast majority haven't worked out, but Malcolm Mitchell was a 4th rounder. His career was short, but he had a huge rookie year and was key in winning a super bowl. Jules was a 7th.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for Boutte to have a significant impact.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back