PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk and Asante Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

moss8803

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey folks,

This is my first thread that I've posted on your message board. I would like to ask my fellow fans what they think will be the role of Kevin Faulk this year. Will he be the team's third down back again? I have seen him listed as high as number two on the running back depth chart, but now he is behind Sammy Morris. I'm not sure what Morris brings to the table. Will Faulk be Brady's safety valve again this year, or will that role go to one of several wide receivers on the roster? Is there a chance Faulk could be cut? I hope not. And I'm sure you've discussed Asante Samuel many times before, but what are the odds he'll be in the starting linueup opening game. For instance, will it be 70%/30% odds that he will, 40%/60% odds that he won't, ect. Thanks for all of the time you take to respond.

Hey folks,

This is my first thread that I've posted on your message board. I would like to ask my fellow fans what they think will be the role of Kevin Faulk this year. Will he be the team's third down back again? I have seen him listed as high as number two on the running back depth chart, but now he is behind Sammy Morris. I'm not sure what Morris brings to the table. Will Faulk be Brady's safety valve again this year, or will that role go to one of several wide receivers on the roster? Is there a chance Faulk could be cut? I hope not. And I'm sure you've discussed Asante Samuel many times before, but what are the odds he'll be in the starting linueup opening game. For instance, will it be 70%/30% odds that he will, 40%/60% odds that he won't, ect. Thanks for all of the time you take to respond.

This is one of the most polite posts I've read in a long time :)

Faulk will remain in the same roll as last year, primarily pass catching and blitz pickup/ He'll see the field on passing downs, and will be called upon for the occasional draw play. Given the surplus of big time recieving talent, he may see more of the field than in last year

Morris will probably come close to matching Corey Dillon's 2006 playing time. He'll see 20% or so of the snaps on short yardage downs and will relieve Maroney.

Maroney should see more playing time, but given our depth I don't expect him to be a workhorse. I think he gets 15 or so carries a game. This is not a knock on Maroney, but this is a passing offense first. Maroney may be more involved as a short reciever this year too.

Hey folks,

Samuel will most likely not show up for training camp. He'd be nuts to do so. I do think he will play, but don't look for him to start against the Jests in Game One if he hasn't been to training camp.

No chance whatsoever that Faulk will be cut.

Hey folks,

Welcome to the board Moss.......
I think we can rely on Mr screen pass / third down threat Faulk. He has been a really reliable part of this team through thick and thin. Always great to see that 2 point direct snap to Faulk play called - I know it caught me totally by surprise when called during a Superbowl!!
Reading the well respected Mike Reiss...his impression of Morris's role after witnessing training camp was that he will get many more snaps that first envisioned by Mike. He feels he will be an integral part of our rushing attack and i personally look forward to seeing him hopefully flourish in this offense this year.
As for Asante....seems to me waiting until game 10 means he plays the season for 3.2MM instead of 7.89MM he would get reporting by the first game. Unless they happen to work out a long term deal or even possibly sign/ trade, I think he signs and reports right after 7/15.

Yup, Faulk is still the team's premier third down back, Sammy Morris also brings that skill to the table and is a heavier back with less mileage, so I expect he'll split reps with both Maroney and Faulk, and be a Special Teams' Ace - he also may develop into the short yardage/goal line back given he's more of a power runner than Maroney. I expect Faulk to split PR duties with Welker, and take some KR reps too.

Yup, Faulk is still the team's premier third down back, Sammy Morris also brings that skill to the table and is a heavier back with less mileage, so I expect he'll split reps with both Maroney and Faulk, and be a Special Teams' Ace - he also may develop into the short yardage/goal line back given he's more of a power runner than Maroney. I expect Faulk to split PR duties with Welker, and take some KR reps too.

Your point about Sammy Morris having low mileage is duly noted. He may be in a perfect situation for him to be really productive on this team. If he combines the great shape he is in with his knowledge of the AFC East in particular, we could be looking at something special and unexpected (except it was expected by the Pats FO when they acquired him)

Faulk will not be cut.
BB has coached on a lot of teams, and I think he went on record as saying that Faulk was his favorite all around half-back.:rocker:

Sammy Morris also brings that skill to the table and is a heavier back with less mileage, so I expect he'll split reps with both Maroney and Faulk, and be a Special Teams' Ace.
I never did like seeing a RB on special teams run the length of the field and then immediately line up on offense for a series.

Faulk and Maroney saved wear and tear on Dillon, so he could take his offensive reps. Morris takes offensive reps AND saves special teams wear and tear on the other RBs. That's a big plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes