PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Zappe's Opportunity Was There To Seize Starting Role with Patriots, And He Missed It

Even writers are confirming Zappe was "Patricia's guy".
If he couldn't keep the job, even after the roll-over games of Lions & Browns, then even ultra-biased MP had to admit those vanilla games weren't fair evaluation of Zappe's readiness.
I still stand by the position where I truly think that Bears game would have tipped the scale, and I said it that night in the game thread. I honestly believe we were seeing a changing of the guard that night. And had Zappe gone out and hung 30+ again, or if it stayed close and he instead beat Fields in a shootout, I don't see how they could have sat him. I think he would have stayed in there at least until they had potentially dropped a couple of games, and probably only if he had played poorly.

OK, I get it. A little more passive than "pouring gas on a QB controversy" perhaps? :)
Can we at least let M Jones throw a few interceptions before this QB controversy begins again?

OK, I get it. A little more passive than "pouring gas on a QB controversy" perhaps? :)
They replayed the "Cam's our starter, thanks for asking." quote a bunch during that stretch ... I do agree, it's bizarre how he doubled down repeatedly on Cam in 2020, despite how badly he was playing but left Mac hanging last year.

Nailed it. This is what it always was.

Only logical that Zappe had to be great because Tom Brady was a late pick too. Therefore logically Zappe was also a diamond in the rough. They’re always on the bench just waiting for someone to figure that out. It’s just that easy finding a quarterback in this league!

Last edited:
They replayed the "Cam's our starter, thanks for asking." quote a bunch during that stretch ... I do agree, it's bizarre how he doubled down repeatedly on Cam in 2020, despite how badly he was playing but left Mac hanging last year.
I believe Bill coached Cam 180 degrees from how he handled Brady and Mac, so far anyway. IMO, Cam was done, Bill knew it, so he resorted to "pumping his tires" to the media in an effort to get more out of him. I think Cam and Bill had a different type of relationship, and part of that was tied to Cams lack of salary, IMO. Cam did Bill a solid by accepting the short money contract, and Bill remembered that, and treated him differently as a result. Just my opinion. Kinda like the opposite of this scene from Mad Men. Bill didn't pay him, so, essentially, he was nice to him. Follow me?
Mad Men GIF

and the average worker who's making 60k a year over an anticipated 40 year work career makes over $4.5 million over that time.......the average NFL player (with an average career of 3 years) for sure better have a fallback plan........life isn't as grand as we'd like to think when you're the bottom half of an NFL roster or PS player
You nailed it. The average NFL career is right around 3 seasons. Players, and those closest to them, especially family have to think that way. If a family doesn't give that guidance to a kid coming out of college, they haven't done him any favors.

Look at these sexy beasts. Note that the 3 people that Zappe and Boutte beat all made the Packers' initial 53 man roster. Well... the LB Phillips that Zappe threw over (46) got released, but he wouldn't be able to defend the perfect throw, anyway.

you're still on the zappe hill? really?

Nope; I just know that he should've started da Bears game, and at least let him lose the job on his own... Instead it was taken from him and given to Mac, who didn't deserve it then, and proved he didn't during the next two weeks.

I still stand by the position where I truly think that Bears game would have tipped the scale, and I said it that night in the game thread. I honestly believe we were seeing a changing of the guard that night. And had Zappe gone out and hung 30+ again, or if it stayed close and he instead beat Fields in a shootout, I don't see how they could have sat him. I think he would have stayed in there at least until they had potentially dropped a couple of games, and probably only if he had played poorly.
When I read this, it also means we will probably be stuck with Matt Patricia as OC. Not sure I am on board with this package.

Zappe will net at least 3-4 million by the time he exits the NFL which is much more than what an average salesman makes in his lifetime.

His life is set.
I've met plenty of commercial insurance sales people who make close to or even more than $1 million/year. They go home at 5pm everyday and don't work weekends. I've considered (not too seriously) dropping my legal career for something easy like that (mostly because these sales people have tried to sell me on the idea).

Zappe would have had to have a Brady like camp and even then it would not be enough unseat Jones as the starter.

You cant just sit the 15th pick in a draft just like that when it is a QB. Especially this guy who is very fragile emotionally.

Overall it worked out for the best because Zappe has looked awful this season and deserved to be demoted. Jones competition has been eliminated and is no longer a threat or distraction. During and after the next 4 months the Patriots will know without a doubt if they need a QB in the 2024 draft.
I get what your saying but one time Bill did bench a QB who was the #1 overall pick in the draft for the 199th pick.

I get what your saying but one time Bill did bench a QB who was the #1 overall pick in the draft for the 199th pick.
Yes, but he was severely injured.

Jones is a baby too.

It was a ballsy move, but I would guess the only reason he stayed with Tom was because he was 5-3 as a starter. Had it only been a couple games, Bledsoe probably goes back in. At some point though, Bledsoe would've gotten benched as he was clearly uncomfortable with the personnel and the scheme. He was a very high maintenance QB in order to be effective.

he's made 1.35 career so far......he's set to make 216,000 right now........that's before agent fees, taxes, etc
FWIW, the CBA expressly limits agent fees to 3% of NFL contract payments. [They can, of course, charge whatever they want on endorsements, etc.]

Reactions: Ian
Zappe will net at least 3-4 million by the time he exits the NFL which is much more than what an average salesman makes in his lifetime.

His life is set.

Colt McCoy has made $25M+ and you think Zappe will make $3 to $4M?

and the average worker who's making 60k a year over an anticipated 40 year work career makes over $4.5 million over that time.......the average NFL player (with an average career of 3 years) for sure better have a fallback plan........life isn't as grand as we'd like to think when you're the bottom half of an NFL roster or PS player

You are replying to your own post? There is an "edit" button on every post if you want to add something later ;)

Colt McCoy has made $25M+ and you think Zappe will make $3 to $4M?
I am saying with a pessimistic take. Maybe McCoy was really lucky . Too many backup QBs today and no backup QB really saves the season like a purdy .

Or wins you one like foles .

Teams will have more rookie backups to reduce rookie QB cost unless should have players like hoyer who latch onto teams to eternally hold clipboards.

I am saying with a pessimistic take. Maybe McCoy was really lucky . Too many backup QBs today and no backup QB really saves the season like a purdy .

Or wins you one like foles .

Teams will have more rookie backups to reduce rookie QB cost unless should have players like hoyer who latch onto teams to eternally hold clipboards.

I always try to approach life with an optimistic take. It seems to lead to more joy and happiness. You might try it, maybe your marriage will improve too ;)

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back