PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelcy Quarles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how Freetedwilliams runs off at the mouth every chance he gets but when questioned by anyone he just runs away like a ****y.

Really, you need me to tell you the names of the three Rutgers DBs on the Patriots roster??? You can't figure that one out for yourself??

McCourty is a JAG at best! See last week's Moreno TD when he put his head down and missed the tackle for any details. Moreno was running around the backfield and yet McCourty didn't get there until he was at the goal line and when he did, he ducked his head and delivered a glancing blow that Moreno easily spun out of and into the endzone. Wake me the next time he makes a game changing (for the positive) play.

Harmon was he even dressed for Miami? you would never know from the stat sheet!

Ryan another drafted waay too high pick. and he is the best of the Rutgers players! At least he will hit someone!

BB has been drafting awful DBs for years, and it is killing the Pats, its killing them with bad play and then again when they have to go back to the well year after year in the draft to try and find a good one. Hell even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then! Why the fascination with Rutgers players is beyond me! Look its a sub par program in a sub sub par league. Quick who is the best player from Rutgers in the NFL? Ray Rice, opps, not anymore.......

Quarles was a victim of Clowney. I think a lot of people just assumed that he only made plays because they were concentrating on Clowney. Its the Scottie Pippen syndrome. Geno Adkins had that reputation at Georgia, and he has turned out to be a stud in the NFL (7th rd draft pick if I remember correctly). Then again, back in 1999 everyone (including me and Borges, thought that David Terrell was going to be a great NFL WR) but it turns out it was the kid throwing him the ball (drafted in the 6th rd) that was the superstar. Sometime when you play with a superstar, you get over rated, sometimes, you get under rated. I think Quarles can play in the NFL.

Good post, I always thought Geno Atkins was the star. He went in round 4. I wanted the patriots to draft him very much. I thought bill would see his versatility and draft him. I was very disappointed bill didn't draft him. A little under 300 lbs but also lean for a DT and very explosive and strong. That's why I thought Easley was a good pick although a little of a reach. I felt he probably isn't to undersized for a DT but just lean for the position and explosive and strong like Atkins.

Then I saw some highlights and pics and he did seem more undersized than I thought. Then I saw him joining mini camp and shaking hands with Chandler who is a little tall and lanky like many edge rushers. And Easley looked like a Running back shaking hands with chandler Jones. Chandler was stockier with a big ger frame and I thought That's Easley!! I hope he just lost muscle size from the ACL injury that he will regain. I thought he was very close in size to Atkins. Its reason I liked the pick even though a reach coming off acl injuries and undersized, I thought he was just lean for a DT like Atkins who was listed 293-297 when drafted but is now about 305. Easley most felt would play close to 300 lbs in the NFL. His mini camp pic he looked nowhere near size of a penetrating DT or 3-4 DE. Hope He just needs to but muscle back on from his acl injury. This was Easley with Chandler Jones at camp.

Attachments

• 061914patsmw001.jpg
    061914patsmw001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 15
Really, you need me to tell you the names of the three Rutgers DBs on the Patriots roster??? You can't figure that one out for yourself??

McCourty is a JAG at best! See last week's Moreno TD when he put his head down and missed the tackle for any details. Moreno was running around the backfield and yet McCourty didn't get there until he was at the goal line and when he did, he ducked his head and delivered a glancing blow that Moreno easily spun out of and into the endzone. Wake me the next time he makes a game changing (for the positive) play.

Ryan another drafted waay too high pick. and he is the best of the Rutgers players! At least he will hit someone!

BB has been drafting awful DBs for years, and it is killing the Pats, its killing them with bad play and then again when they have to go back to the well year after year in the draft to try and find a good one. Hell even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then! Why the fascination with Rutgers players is beyond me! Look its a sub par program in a sub sub par league. Quick who is the best player from Rutgers in the NFL? Ray Rice, opps, not anymore.......

I can't even begin to think how one would respond to this.

Probably best not to.

McCourty is a JAG at best!

upset-think.gif

Quarles is who he is, an inexperienced UDFA who could not make any team. Maybe he'll be signed to someone's PS, perhaps not. If he were the prospect you all think, he would have been signed to a team or at least to some else's PS.

I disagree with the idea that there are many UDFA's who are better players than who we have on the 53. And yes, I would rather see Swanson or Davis on the PS, or even Bethel-Thompson.
So what you are saying is last season’s UDFA Vellano is better than Quarles an UDFA is this season? Hmm interesting analogy, I think you should read a scouting report, look at some tape of the player in college and in the preseason before you make these foolish assertions, because Quarles is significantly more talented than Vellano.

Quarles is who he is, an inexperienced UDFA who could not make any team. Maybe he'll be signed to someone's PS, perhaps not. If he were the prospect you all think, he would have been signed to a team or at least to some else's PS.

I disagree with the idea that there are many UDFA's who are better players than who we have on the 53. And yes, I would rather see Swanson or Davis on the PS, or even Bethel-Thompson.

Chris Jones was a 6th round pick who was cut by 2 teams before being picked up by the Pats and playing decently as a starter last year. Rob Ninkovich was a 5th round pick who was cut by multiple teams before being picked up by the Pats as a STer and eventually developing into a starter. Many UDFAs are cut more than once before sticking, and some develop into solid players and even pro bowlers. Wes Welker and James Harrison are good examples.

I'm not making any predictions for Quarles, but the fact that he was a UDFA and cut by the Giants and not signed by another team means absolutely nothing about his overall ability and whether he can contribute.

Easley needs to get much bigger or he will continue to get knocked off the ball like in his debut. Explains why pete Carroll was interested in his explosive burst. He figured if he roided him up to resemble the size of an nfl DT while retaining and adding explosiveness he will have a geno Atkins on his hands. Then add the mini Cocaine AKA Aderall and Easley would be Hell Terror with that burst,quickness and ability to bend and leverage. As it stands now for Easley as a Patriot he is far to small to play DT or 3-4 end but you can bet Pete Carroll had a plan for him. If Easley bulked up to resemble a DT he would be a Hell Terror and maybe better than Atkins. Quarles would have been drafted except for behavior issues. Going undrafted says a little bout talent but sometimes the player has more than enough talent but doesn't get drafted due to work habit issues and off field issues. Ninkovich is a decent player who was given far more time to develop and become a player than 5 prospects combined.

Chris Jones was a 6th round pick who was cut by 2 teams before being picked up by the Pats and playing decently as a starter last year. Rob Ninkovich was a 5th round pick who was cut by multiple teams before being picked up by the Pats as a STer and eventually developing into a starter. Many UDFAs are cut more than once before sticking, and some develop into solid players and even pro bowlers. Wes Welker and James Harrison are good examples.

I'm not making any predictions for Quarles, but the fact that he was a UDFA and cut by the Giants and not signed by another team means absolutely nothing about his overall ability and whether he can contribute.
The contributions of Jones and Vellano in 2013 are incredibly overrated on this board.

For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that Belichick likes some of these guys because it shows off his ability to coach up players of minimal talent. Whilst I recognise the Patriots generally pick at the bottom of each round, the Pats are blowing too many picks on speculative players and maybes.

Here's some picks inside the first three rounds that may be considered speculative and have been blown since 2009:
2009: Chung, Brace, Butler, Tate and Mckenzie.
2010: Cunningham and Price.
2011: Dowling and Mallett.
2012: Wilson and Bequette.

I acknowledge the Patriots hit on a lot of picks and generally find late round talent but at some point, no matter how good the coaching (for the record, I don't consider Patricia or McDaniels excellent coordinators more okay ones), a system collapses under its own weight.

The reality is, Brady isn't going to be around forever. If Garoppolo doesn't become a viable option at QB, no matter how much we overrate the capabilities of the younger Patriots, there is going to be a serious problem with talent on the roster if the Pats keep blowing their higher picks.

So what you are saying is last season’s UDFA Vellano is better than Quarles an UDFA is this season? Hmm interesting analogy, I think you should read a scouting report, look at some tape of the player in college and in the preseason before you make these foolish assertions, because Quarles is significantly more talented than Vellano.
There's no analogy. Vellano was a useful backup on a top 10 defense. Those games, and his practices are HIS scouting reports.

Everyone has seen the scouting reports of Quarles' college game. Why has no one signed him for their 53, even now. Perhaps, just perhaps they are not all wrong. Maybe Quarles is more talented. Perhaps Worthy is more talented. Smith is certainly more talented. But that's not the issue. The question is who will help the patriots most. The patriots certainly could keep an additional developmental player on the DL. IMHO, they made their choice. Moore made the 53. With THREE injuries on the DL and 90 temperatures, Moore got zero reps. This certainly defines a developmental player.

Quarles may indeed by worth a Practice Squad spot. And maybe, like Vellano was, Quarles might make the 53 and play significant reps if there are as many injuries as last year.

For now, it is not at all clear how many reps Vellano will get when Chris Jones is healthy, and Easley is also at 100%.

The contributions of Jones and Vellano in 2013 are incredibly overrated on this board.

For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that Belichick likes some of these guys because it shows off his ability to coach up players of minimal talent. Whilst I recognise the Patriots generally pick at the bottom of each round, the Pats are blowing too many picks on speculative players and maybes.

Here's some picks inside the first three rounds that may be considered speculative and have been blown since 2009:
2009: Chung, Brace, Butler, Tate and Mckenzie.
2010: Cunningham and Price.
2011: Dowling and Mallett.
2012: Wilson and Bequette.

I acknowledge the Patriots hit on a lot of picks and generally find late round talent but at some point, no matter how good the coaching (for the record, I don't consider Patricia or McDaniels excellent coordinators more okay ones), a system collapses under its own weight.

The reality is, Brady isn't going to be around forever. If Garoppolo doesn't become a viable option at QB, no matter how much we overrate the capabilities of the younger Patriots, there is going to be a serious problem with talent on the roster if the Pats keep blowing their higher picks.

Vellano, yes. Jones...I don't necessarily agree. I think there's potential for a nice rotational player.

Vellano, yes. Jones...I don't necessarily agree. I think there's potential for a nice rotational player.
I can handle Jones as a rotational player who spells the starter @JackBauer I just can't get my head around him being a starter.

I can handle Jones as a rotational player who spells the starter @JackBauer I just can't get my head around him being a starter.
Aren't our starters three of Ninkovich, Wilfork, Easley and Jones? Aren't Siliga, Jones and Vellano the DT backups? So, yes, Chris Jones is a backup. Chandler Jones is a starter a potential pro-bowler.

What have I misunderstood in your post?

Aren't our starters three of Ninkovich, Wilfork, Easley and Jones? Aren't Siliga, Jones and Vellano the DT backups? So, yes, Chris Jones is a backup. Chandler Jones is a starter a potential pro-bowler.

What have I misunderstood in your post?
Jones is being positioned by some as a prospective starter. That, I cannot agree with. Begrudgingly, I am okay with him as a rotational player because the Patriots stubbornly refuse to bolster the rotation with good, pricier impact players preferring cheaper options.

Jones is being positioned by some as a prospective starter. That, I cannot agree with. Begrudgingly, I am okay with him as a rotational player because the Patriots stubbornly refuse to bolster the rotation with good, pricier impact players preferring cheaper options.
Fair enough. Thank for your clarification.

And they are making Tavon Wilson an Honorary Scarlet Knight!!

Jones is being positioned by some as a prospective starter. That, I cannot agree with.

I don't recall very many people suggesting that Jones should be more than a rotational player. Could you be more specific?

I don't recall very many people suggesting that Jones should be more than a rotational player. Could you be more specific?
To be honest @mayoclinic, I really can't be bothered wasting my morning searching for the specific posts. From my casual observation over the past year, they exist.

To be honest @mayoclinic, I really can't be bothered wasting my morning searching for the specific posts. From my casual observation over the past year, they exist.

So you go on an anti-"Jones as a starter" tirade but can't given any specifics about anyone seriously proposing that? That's lame.

I don't recall anyone seriously suggesting that Jones is anything other than a decent rotational player at low cost. I certainly don't recall any protracted discussion of such an idea.

So you go on an anti-"Jones as a starter" tirade but can't given any specifics about anyone seriously proposing that? That's lame.

I don't recall anyone seriously suggesting that Jones is anything other than a decent rotational player at low cost. I certainly don't recall any protracted discussion of such an idea.
Feel free to fly to Australia and come work on this strategic report with me. That should free up some of my time to thoroughly search Patsfans to appease you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft