PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelcy Quarles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure he has been released so that the Patriots can sign yet another horrible defensive back from Rutgers.

(actually I hope he has been promoted to the 53)

Wonder what the deal was then

I'm sure he has been released so that the Patriots can sign yet another horrible defensive back from Rutgers.

(actually I hope he has been promoted to the 53)

Oh? How many "horrible" defensive backs from Rutgers have the Patriots signed?

Whatever is going on, if the future success of the defense rests with the 60th roster slot, we are already in the hot and steamy.

Oh? How many "horrible" defensive backs from Rutgers have the Patriots signed?
Dont worry, Just Fred being Fred. Next time he says something intelligent here will be the first time.

Whatever is going on, if the future success of the defense rests with the 60th roster slot, we are already in the hot and steamy.

I dont think anyone is saying that. I think we are collectively saying that he probably is a better option than Roller Skates Vellano even if he is an UDRFA and has been with the Pats for a week.

I dont think anyone is saying that. I think we are collectively saying that he probably is a better option than Roller Skates Vellano even if he is an UDRFA and has been with the Pats for a week.

He can be much more just needs the experience and game reps.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, obviously, and the likelihood of Quarles stepping in and contributing significantly at this point is extremely low. But he has some upside, he "probably is a better option than "Roller Skates Vellano even if he is a UDRFA and has been with the Pats for a week", and lots of developmental late round/UDFA guys have turned into solid players down the road. That's enough for me to hope that he sticks and gets promoted to the main squad, at least for now.

I can certainly understand the sentiment, but the guys who get paid to evaluate the talent evidently disagree. Bill must see something in Vellano that escapes us. On a related note, Easley should see more snaps Sun.

Granted, he's a rookie UDFA so it's hard to expect anything of him. But as others have said, I have a really, really hard time believing that he's worse than Joe Vellano.

The level of idiocy I see sometimes, I wonder whether individuals are clueless or there is just some sad Jets fan giggling like a schoolgirl in his bedroom somewhere

Quarles is an interesting story.
He had 9 1/2 sacks his last year at South Carolina. He's prototypical 3-4 DE, big, long, thick, quick. If the Pats are seriously going back to a 3-4 after replacing all their big tall DL with quick penetrating guys, on paper Quarles is a terrific option.

And he wasn't drafted. Got released a couple times. Made it through to practice squad.

So there is something missing. If you simply looked at his physical stats and his college performance, you would say Rounds 2-3 in the draft. The 32 GM's who got to meet him made a different evaluation.

I think the odds are longer for that kind of udfa - the guy who looks like a top draft pick but can't stick with a team. It's the "over-achievers" who start out on the practice squad and work their way onto the roster that seem to grow into starters.

He had 9 1/2 sacks his last year at South Carolina. He's prototypical 3-4 DE, big, long, thick, quick. If the Pats are seriously going back to a 3-4 after replacing all their big tall DL with quick penetrating guys, on paper Quarles is a terrific option.

And he wasn't drafted. Got released a couple times. Made it through to practice squad.

So there is something missing. If you simply looked at his physical stats and his college performance, you would say Rounds 2-3 in the draft. The 32 GM's who got to meet him made a different evaluation.

I think the odds are longer for that kind of udfa - the guy who looks like a top draft pick but can't stick with a team. It's the "over-achievers" who start out on the practice squad and work their way onto the roster that seem to grow into starters.

Quarles was a victim of Clowney. I think a lot of people just assumed that he only made plays because they were concentrating on Clowney. Its the Scottie Pippen syndrome. Geno Adkins had that reputation at Georgia, and he has turned out to be a stud in the NFL (7th rd draft pick if I remember correctly). Then again, back in 1999 everyone (including me and Borges, thought that David Terrell was going to be a great NFL WR) but it turns out it was the kid throwing him the ball (drafted in the 6th rd) that was the superstar. Sometime when you play with a superstar, you get over rated, sometimes, you get under rated. I think Quarles can play in the NFL.

He is a UFA but would have been drafted in Round 2-4 if he didn't have off field issues in college and flags for throwing punches on the field. He has length power and some explosion and athleticism going for him, more than Vellano. Makes you curious how some players get years to contribute such as Vellano while others get a week if that. Funny thing is they players he keeps are usually have very limited upside which isn't the players you try to develop because the reward on them is low.

Quarles was a victim of Clowney. I think a lot of people just assumed that he only made plays because they were concentrating on Clowney. Its the Scottie Pippen syndrome. Geno Adkins had that reputation at Georgia, and he has turned out to be a stud in the NFL (7th rd draft pick if I remember correctly). Then again, back in 1999 everyone (including me and Borges, thought that David Terrell was going to be a great NFL WR) but it turns out it was the kid throwing him the ball (drafted in the 6th rd) that was the superstar. Sometime when you play with a superstar, you get over rated, sometimes, you get under rated. I think Quarles can play in the NFL.
Actually that was the 2001 draft with regards to Terrell and the kid they drafted was Richard Seymour. Brady was in the 2000 draft when we lost our 1st RDer for taking BB from the Jest after he resigned via the most famous napkin in sports history.

Basically it went something like this...
.i quit.jpg

Last edited:

He's prototypical 3-4 DE, big, long, thick, quick. If the Pats are seriously going back to a 3-4 after replacing all their big tall DL with quick penetrating guys, on paper Quarles is a terrific option.

I don't think Quarles is a prototypical 3-4 DE at all. I think he has some versatility to play the position, as he does the 3-tech and the 0/1. He doesn't really have a clear fit, which is one reason he slipped through the draft. I personally think his best role is as an undersized 0/1 tech, where his combination of strength and quickness can create some matchup problems. I'd compare him to someone like Jeremiah (formerly Jay) Ratliff.

Names, please.
Notice how Freetedwilliams runs off at the mouth every chance he gets but when questioned by anyone he just runs away like a ****y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back