PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman visiting Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been no indications that we have any interest is re-signing Edelman. With regard to Lloyd, there is the matter of money, and the matter of pride. I think that Lloyd is a much better candidate for re-signing.

There have been no indications that we have any interest is re-signing Edelman. With regard to Lloyd, there is the matter of money, and the matter of pride. I think that Lloyd is a much better candidate for re-signing.

See earlier in this thread. Edelman and the Patriots have discussed a new contract.

I kind of hope he leaves. I would miss his punt returns but that is kind of it. I'm excited to see us just completely blow up our receiving corps and besides 80% of edelman's catches were bubble screens which can't be too hard to replace.

It worked out well for the WRs in 2007. . . . and not nearly so well the year before.

Faster doesn't mean anything when we're looking at WR size. Bottom line is that Amendola is about 2 inches taller than Welker, but not really heavier, and he's the only WR on the roster who's anything approaching a lock to make the team. While things can certainly change moving forward, they haven't really moved on from the smurfs as of now.

But what WR "smurfs" do we actually have on the roster? I don't see any! Let's first define "smurf." My subjective definition is someone 5-feet tall and single digits (5-9 and below). Michael Jenkins is 6-4, Donald Jones is 6-0. Amendola is 5-11.

Branch qualified for smurfdom at 5-9; Lloyd is 6-0, Edelman is 5-10, Stallworth is 6-0. Minus Branch and Welker, the WR corps is significantly taller.

You figure Welker's were taken yesterday? We go with what we have.

You have nothing but very old information, if you want to make judgments based on info from 2008 and 2004 be my guest.

The vast majority of NFL players have "injury histories." Also, with it being April 6, I'm guessing BB is not close to being done with player acquisitions. Finally, when I view the entire body of work, I'm OK with BB's personnel decisions. Not perfect, but on the whole pretty damn good.

I'm only going to go into this year. Right now the WR corps is a straight up downgrade from last year. If we add some draft picks to the mix and a decent veteran then I'd look at his moves in a better light.

Nice moves signing Leon Washington and Adrian Wilson. We overpaid Arrington to stay. It was good to keep Talib for another season. We still need another passrusher a decent physical outside receiver, and probably more secondary depth because someone ALWAYS gets hurt.

I'm only going to go into this year. Right now the WR corps is a straight up downgrade from last year. If we add some draft picks to the mix and a decent veteran then I'd look at his moves in a better light.

Nice moves signing Leon Washington and Adrian Wilson. We overpaid Arrington to stay. It was good to keep Talib for another season. We still need another passrusher a decent physical outside receiver, and probably more secondary depth because someone ALWAYS gets hurt.

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that this is the year a promising rookie WR is nabbed in the first round.

The Pats haven't lost either Edelman or Lloyd yet. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both will be back on the team before the start of training camp.

I can understand saying that we haven't lost Edelman yet (although it is debatable...just ask AndyJohnson or Patfanken who both claim that Bryant McKinnie is gone from BAL despite having several conversations with the front office about returning, as he is currently a free agent), but we've certainly "lost" Llyod. He was on the team, would not restructure down to their level and was immediately cut. You yourself just made comment a couple of wks ago that it's rather rare to see Belichick bring someone back again.

It's highly unlikely that they'd have risked losing that kind of talent/positional replacement to another team if they weren't ready and willing to move on. We're not talking about Kyle Hix or some low level practice squad player.

I understand the optimism, but fail to see what proof we have that either one of these players will be back, let alone both of them. I think that the only way we see either one of these players is if they receive no other reasonable offers, which is understandable for Edelman but a stretch for Llyod to decide to swallow his pride and return here again due to zero interest whatsoever.

I would think it'd be prudent to take a CB in the draft at some point for sure, unless they think they can sign a low level guy or two in FA, which is almost a certainty. The problem is that they aren't going to invest too much in my opinion, at a position that Belichick feels may be a waste due to currently having 3 viable starters, possibly 4 depending on his feelings about Arrington. (Let's not get into the whole Dowling debate, but at the moment I'd have to assume that Belichick feels that he would be a competitor for playing time again, past injuries be damned)

As fans, we'd probably all much rather have seen an additional decent signing for a reasonable cost for a guy like Asomugah etc...or even a veteran who has lost a step like A.Winfield for depth purposes. To this point Belichick doesn't agree. In other words, we may/may not have a need for a CB, but there's a decent argument that drafting one in the higher rounds may be considered a waste. Only one man knows, so it'll be a guessing game. I'd like to think that there will be a CB pick at some point, but it may not come until the later rounds too.

Another issue to consider is the whole McCourty possibility of being able to move back there in a pinch if/when needed + the prospects of a safety being chosen either in the draft or FA still.

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that this is the year a promising rookie WR is nabbed in the first round.

I don't think they have much of a choice to be honest in terms of needing to draft a WR with one of their first couple of picks. The cupboard is totally bare, and the future is even more uncertain. I would literally question Belichick's sanity if he walked out of the draft without taking advantage of a glaring need such as the important skill position of WR if the first 3 rounds.

That said, I'm expecting at least one tradedown, and the highest compensation would likely be in round one. As far as Thursday night's draft show goes, I'm thinking it's about 50/50 for a NEP trade out of the first round.

I can understand saying that we haven't lost Edelman yet (although it is debatable...just ask AndyJohnson or Patfanken who both claim that Bryant McKinnie is gone from BAL despite having several conversations with the front office about returning, as he is currently a free agent), but we've certainly "lost" Llyod. He was on the team, would not restructure down to their level and was immediately cut. You yourself just made comment a couple of wks ago that it's rather rare to see Belichick bring someone back again.

It's highly unlikely that they'd have risked losing that kind of talent/positional replacement to another team if they weren't ready and willing to move on. We're not talking about Kyle Hix or some low level practice squad player.

I understand the optimism, but fail to see what proof we have that either one of these players will be back, let alone both of them. I think that the only way we see either one of these players is if they receive no other reasonable offers, which is understandable for Edelman but a stretch for Llyod to decide to swallow his pride and return here again due to zero interest whatsoever.

First, I never made the comment several weeks ago that it is rare that Belichick brings a player back. Most of the time it is true, but he has done it.

Second, the Pats wanted to keep Lloyd at their price. Lloyd probably thought he could get more on the open market. The Pats had no choice but to release him because if they didn't cut him when they did, he would have gotten a roster bonus. Lloyd has zero market right now. Odds are he will come back with his tail between his legs for the veteran minimum and hope that he has a great year and try to cash in next year.

The only reason why Lloyd isn't on the roster right now is a $2.5 million roster bonus due about an hour after they released him. For what the Pats were probably offering, it probably was in Lloyd's best interest to see if he could get more on the open market which seems unlikely at this point.

As for proof, when have the Pats telegraphed their moves? The fact that the Pats tried to renegotiate with Lloyd before cutting him is proof that they wanted him on the team at their price. Which means that there is a good chance he will be back on the team. No guarantees though.

As for Edelman, Mike Reiss said that his take is that there is a 75% chance he will be back. Reiss is wrong as much as anyone in the media on Patriots moves, but his prediction could be on inside knowledge.

There is obviously a chance that neither will be back, but I think there is just as much a chance that both will be back. I think it is less about optimism and the signs that surround both players.

I see you just can't let go.
If you want to count Edelman as a Patriot, go right ahead, all you are assuming is the 1/32 chance they will be the team he ends up playing for.

If you want to count Edelman as a Patriot, go right ahead, all you are assuming is the 1/32 chance they will be the team he ends up playing for.

Just because there are 32 teams does not mean that they all have an equal likelihood of signing him.

I don't think they have much of a choice to be honest in terms of needing to draft a WR with one of their first couple of picks. The cupboard is totally bare, and the future is even more uncertain. I would literally question Belichick's sanity if he walked out of the draft without taking advantage of a glaring need such as the important skill position of WR if the first 3 rounds.

That said, I'm expecting at least one tradedown, and the highest compensation would likely be in round one. As far as Thursday night's draft show goes, I'm thinking it's about 50/50 for a NEP trade out of the first round.

If they want an impact rookie WR with a high probability of making a difference THIS season, he'll have to come in the first round. I truly wonder if the current questionable state of the Pats' WR corps is because BB has identified a draftee or two they really, really like.

I can't escape the feeling that the real issues with Lloyd are around the intangibles, work ethic, desire, effort etc..., and although salary is also a likely issue I wonder if Belichick wants him back at any price. I think Jones was brought in to replace him and Jenkins is supplemental to that.

If it is discovered that Gronk's forearm is still infected, then we can think about scratching his name
off the list of reasons why 2013 will be different than 2006.

If it is discovered that Gronk's forearm is still infected, then we can think about scratching his name
Because you already assumed he's missing the entire season?

I'm just busting your chops, Andy.

I can't escape the feeling that the real issues with Lloyd are around the intangibles, work ethic, desire, effort etc..., and although salary is also a likely issue I wonder if Belichick wants him back at any price. I think Jones was brought in to replace him and Jenkins is supplemental to that.

I think it may certainly be a possibility. We don't know what went on behind the scenes or in the price cut negotiations either, so it's hard to get much of a read either way.

Some seem to think there is a high chance of him returning. I am not one of those people, but can see both sides of it.

There is obviously a chance that neither will be back, but I think there is just as much a chance that both will be back. I think it is less about optimism and the signs that surround both players.

That's certainly a fair statement. I hope you're right.

Even in the worst case scenarios floated out there, no one is suggesting Gronk would miss the entire season. At this point, the worst people are suggesting is he might miss a game or two. And at this point, that isn't even remotely a likely scenario.

Even then, it is different than 2006. 2006 was an unique situation that had never happened before and unlikely ever happening ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3