PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman visiting Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should've been more clear: the situation now at WR, not TE, is more similar to 2006
than it is dissimilar to it.

Maybe I should've been more clear: the situation now at WR, not TE, is more similar to 2006

First, when you have Gronk and Hernandez, why would we take them out of the equation. Even with Welker on the team, Gronk has become the main receiver that teams have to game plan against, not Welker. And as we saw with KC with Gonzalez and San Diego with Gates all those years, an elite TE is just as dangerous as most WRs. Gronk and Hernandez are two of the top three targets with or without Welker. Before Gronk got injured he was on pace for just under 1,300 yards and 17-18 TDs for the season. You cannot discount it. I mean if you take away Moss and Welker, 2007 is just like 2006.

Second, even if you discount Gronk and Hernandez, there is still little comparisons to 2006.

• Welker left as a free agent. Branch had one year left on his deal.
  • Amendola was signed specifically to replace Welker for better or worse. The Pats made no contingency for Branch because they expected him to be on the team. In fact, the Pats were looking for Branch's replacement in the preseason (trading for Doug Gabriel) and in the regular season (signing Gaffney six games into the season).
  • In 2006, the passing offense was geared towards the WRs and the Pats had a mediocre running game. Now the the Pats are a TE centric passing offense and they have a far more balanced attack with Ridley and Vereen.
  • In 2006, the Pats did not revise their offense for the loss of Branch until the season started and it was clear he was not coming back. This year, the Pats are approaching the offseason for the loss of Welker including Hernandez and Amendola working out with Brady, they will have passing camp, minicamp, training camp, and the preseason to prepare for the loss of Welker.

Again whether you include the TEs or not (which I find silly since Gronk is likely to have more receiving yards and TDs than most of the #1 WRs in the league), I still see little similarities from this upcoming season with 2006.

Wow it sucks to lose welker, edelman, and even lloyd all in the same offseason. So the Pats brass decided that these guys suddenly sucked and now the answer is amendola, jones, and jenkins? Hard to see this as anything other than a DOWNGRADE to be honest. If THIS is the net result of all those changes.

No, you were clear. Your second sentence explained the first. The similarities are there, too, no question.

Wow it sucks to lose welker, edelman, and even lloyd all in the same offseason. So the Pats brass decided that these guys suddenly sucked and now the answer is amendola, jones, and jenkins? Hard to see this as anything other than a DOWNGRADE to be honest. If THIS is the net result of all those changes.

The Pats haven't lost either Edelman or Lloyd yet. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both will be back on the team before the start of training camp.

So let me guess. You're a short order cook, right? Very short.

It seems to me that the Patriots are trying to get physically bigger at the so-called skill positions. All the smurfs are gone - edelman, woodhead, welker, branch and lloyd.

To go head-to-head with Harbaugh teams, which is the present reality, you have to square off for a street fight. Well, here come the bigger, nastier Patriots.

It seems to me that the Patriots are trying to get physically bigger at the so-called skill positions. All the smurfs are gone - edelman, woodhead, welker, branch and lloyd.

To go head-to-head with Harbaugh teams, which is the present reality, you have to square off for a street fight. Well, here come the bigger, nastier Patriots.

I think you might be on to something here -- fielding a more physically punishing team -- which applies to offense as well as defense. Although, it will be interesting to see if the quickness some of these guys brought to the table will be missed.

Replacing Welker with Amendola isn't exactly getting rid of the smurfs.

If one is to believe the "official" measures on these guys: Amendola is 5-11, 188. Welker is listed at 5-9, 185. I met Welker briefly once and looked down on him (I'm 5-11). I'd say Welker is closer to 5-8 -- in cleats. IF Amendola is a true 5-11, that is a significant difference.

5'11' slot receivers do not qualify as smurfs. Save those comments for those who want to trade up for Austin.

5'11' slot receivers do not qualify as smurfs. Save those comments for those who want to trade up for Austin.

Also, it's us assuming Amendola will play slot as a swap for Welker's role. I'm not sure he will.

If one is to believe the "official" measures on these guys: Amendola is 5-11, 188. Welker is listed at 5-9, 185. I met Welker briefly once and looked down on him (I'm 5-11). I'd say Welker is closer to 5-8 -- in cleats. IF Amendola is a true 5-11, that is a significant difference.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33707&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

Amendola measured out at under 5'10.5, and he weighs about the same as Welker. Smurf, elf, whatever you want to call him, he's not much taller, and he's slighter of build, than Welker. As I said, he's still not exactly getting rid of the smurfs.

Danny Amendola*|*Texas Tech,*WR*:*2008 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Amendola measured out at under 5'10.5, and he weighs about the same as Welker. Smurf, elf, whatever you want to call him, he's not much taller, and he's slighter of build, than Welker.

I got 5-11 from the Rams site. Your own link has him at THREE different heights -- 5-11, 5-10.5 and 5-10.4. Looks like we're quibbling over fractions of an inch! Regardless, Amendola is taller/longer-limbed and is supposed to be faster than Wes.

I got 5-11 from the Rams site. Your own link has him at THREE different heights -- 5-11, 5-10.5 and 5-10.4. Looks like we're quibbling over fractions of an inch! Regardless, Amendola is taller/longer-limbed and is supposed to be faster than Wes.

Faster doesn't mean anything when we're looking at WR size. Bottom line is that Amendola is about 2 inches taller than Welker, but not really heavier, and he's the only WR on the roster who's anything approaching a lock to make the team. While things can certainly change moving forward, they haven't really moved on from the smurfs as of now.

Who are these players who are going to square off in this "street fight?" Gronk and Hernandez both have injury histories, if either of them go down for a significant period of time, Brady has almost nobody to throw to. I'm not sure what BB's big-picture plan is here, but weakening the team's far and away most important unit can't be a good strategy.

My biggest fear is that with guys like Welker, personal ego/vendetta issues might be at play, and BB is not necessarily making cold, optimal decisions with the team's best interests in mind. Belichick has so much unchecked power within this organization that it sometimes concerns me a bit when it comes to personnel decisions. I am inherently untrustworthy of a single person controlling so much, especially in a multi-faceted organization.

I kind of hope he leaves. I would miss his punt returns but that is kind of it. I'm excited to see us just completely blow up our receiving corps and besides 80% of edelman's catches were bubble screens which can't be too hard to replace.

Who are these players who are going to square off in this "street fight?" Gronk and Hernandez both have injury histories, if either of them go down for a significant period of time, Brady has almost nobody to throw to. I'm not sure what BB's big-picture plan is here, but weakening the team's far and away most important unit can't be a good strategy.

My biggest fear is that with guys like Welker, personal ego/vendetta issues might be at play, and BB is not necessarily making cold, optimal decisions with the team's best interests in mind. Belichick has so much unchecked power within this organization that it sometimes concerns me a bit when it comes to personnel decisions. I am inherently untrustworthy of a single person controlling so much, especially in a multi-faceted organization.
The vast majority of NFL players have "injury histories." Also, with it being April 6, I'm guessing BB is not close to being done with player acquisitions. Finally, when I view the entire body of work, I'm OK with BB's personnel decisions. Not perfect, but on the whole pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes