PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon may be reinstated by the start of Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was on his way to a 1000 yard year even though he got traded to us 3 weeks into the season which would have been more than Cooks did in 16 games. He as an archetype is exactly what this offense needs to add this season to prevent the classic "crowd MOF" strategy to be viable.

The entire logic of "he could be gone next week" is so flawed because that is true for any player week-to-week.
You need production through out the season, as much as you can get. If he is cheap and not suspended I am totally in on Gordon.

Gordon would be an excellent option... that said even with him I would double dip and draft another outside Receiver coupled with either Andy Isabella or David Sills.

No problem with Gordon, just have a plan B who's better than Dorsett please. Nothing against Dorsett who's a WR#5.

Agree and fixed it for ya.

Kinda hoping we can scoop up Dola as a veteran WR3. We'll be looking for some veteran insurance for Gordon anyway, and having Dola in our back pocket would be a powerful insurance against either a Gordon relapse or anything else going wrong in the WR corps. He was huge for us in 51 and pretty much is the reason we even made it to SB52. If the Phins are gonna cut him as is rumored, I'm all over this.

I'd happily drive Hogan to the airport if there was a legitimate chance to replace him with Dola, and I like Hogan.

Gordon should be counted as WR6 with Slater WR5, Edelman WR1 leaving WR2-WR4 open.

I hope we sign back CP as WR4, the draft a WR3 and trade for or sign a WR2.

Agree and fixed it for ya.
I think you're selling Dorsett a little short there, he was starting to find a rhythm with Brady at the end of this year and was the target on some big plays in the AFCCG including a TD that Dorsett had to fight for. And did. And won

would not be surprused, if he's still here next year, if he starts getting a few more deep ball targets. By many measurements he was our second best WR last year. But yes I would like to move him down the depth chart and I think he'd thrive more in that kind of role.

That would of course be easier if there was a guy like Gordon to draw coverage

Gordon should be counted as WR6 with Slater WR5, Edelman WR1 leaving WR2-WR4 open.

I hope we sign back CP as WR4, the draft a WR3 and trade for or sign a WR2.
That's ridiculous. Gordon should be treated like an injury prone WR2 behind Edelman, with an understanding that Gordon and Edelman play completely different roles and will usually be on the field at the same time. A drug relapse should be regarded as a season/career ending injury from a roster management perspective

If we bring back Gordon our WR depth looks like Edelman-Gordon-Patterson Hogan-Dorsett-Slater. I'd like to move on from Hogan and Patterson and bring 2 guys in between Gordon and Dorsett, preferably Dola and a draft pick, and focus the draft pick on getting a big physical reliever who can make contested catches, as insurance for the role we hope Gordon will play

That would make the WR chart look like Edelman-Gordon-Dola-Draft Pick-Dorsett-Slater. That's a good WR corps with a nice selection of skills, especially if we get a hit in the draft..

I think you're selling Dorsett a little short there, he was starting to find a rhythm with Brady at the end of this year and was the target on some big plays in the AFCCG including a TD that Dorsett had to fight for. And did. And won

would not be surprused, if he's still here next year, if he starts getting a few more deep ball targets. By many measurements he was our second best WR last year. But yes I would like to move him down the depth chart and I think he'd thrive more in that kind of role.

That would of course be easier if there was a guy like Gordon to draw coverage

Dorsett is what he is now he doesn't have much of a ceiling he doesn't catch contested balls and he doesn't get much separation. Dorsett had full year and a half in the system and was basically Meh. I think a Rookie like Marquise Brown would do a heck of a lot more than him. Even if he comes back I don't see BB offering more than 1.5 Mill a year that's what I think he's worth.

Dorsett is what he is now

And we know that how? He was dumped by the Colts after struggling in their offense, and his receiver rating and catch % have gone up both years he's been in New England. He's playing a low tier role right now, are you seriously arguing that rule couldn't be expanded if needed? because you're wrong and it has.

Dorsett was basically our WR3 in the playoffs and again, made some good catches in that role, especially in the AFCCG. He actually had a better catch % than Julian Edelman or James White this year, so there's something to be said for making the most of your targets, and it showed because Brady was throwing to him in the playoffs.

I agree that "he is what he is," but I disagree that we know what Phillip Dorsett is. I think we're on the verge of a very pleasant surprise with him, he's shown steady improvement in his role and I think he's on the cusp of expanding that role somewhat.

You're missing the point. It is not a matter of him "only being an addict," it is a matter of being completely unreliable. It has been 7 years since he played a full season and AFAIK not one of those missed games was due to injury. It was all due to suspension/not showing up.

What you have in Gordon is a guy who could, at any time, simply no longer show up. I also feel compelled to point out the Patriots played a heckuva lot better when he was gone...

The issue with people against him is that he is not reliable enough to take up a roster spot. The flip is that he has an illness that requires compassion.

Why cant both be right? If there are other better options available for that roster spot then cut him (u can still extend support) but until then keep him on the team.

Is he worse than who the team will get as a 5th WR or RB? In camp there are 90 players - evaluate him against the field and if the there are 53 better options then go with one of them. That is the smart answer - take emotion out of it.

I still want top draft capital on a WR. First two rounds preferably

Hopefully they go DL, TE, WR. There's a lot of solid #2 WRs this draft which works well for us.
double dip at each of those positions if the FA market doesn't allow us to sign good players there.

double dip at each of those positions if the FA market doesn't allow us to sign good players there.

I'd Love double dip at TE, the way things are looking that looks to be the case.

Hopefully they go DL, TE, WR. There's a lot of solid #2 WRs this draft which works well for us.
Yup. Any of DT, TE, or WR in the top 2 picks is fine with me

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

The answer for the patriots at WR is NOT, is NOT, in the early rounds of the draft.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

The answer for the patriots at WR is NOT, is NOT, in the early rounds of the draft.

So if Ridley is there at #64 your saying no?

And we know that how? He was dumped by the Colts after struggling in their offense, and his receiver rating and catch % have gone up both years he's been in New England. He's playing a low tier role right now, are you seriously arguing that rule couldn't be expanded if needed? because you're wrong and it has.

Dorsett was basically our WR3 in the playoffs and again, made some good catches in that role, especially in the AFCCG. He actually had a better catch % than Julian Edelman or James White this year, so there's something to be said for making the most of your targets, and it showed because Brady was throwing to him in the playoffs.

I agree that "he is what he is," but I disagree that we know what Phillip Dorsett is. I think we're on the verge of a very pleasant surprise with him, he's shown steady improvement in his role and I think he's on the cusp of expanding that role somewhat.

I will just say: this 2019 Draft have some intriguing WR's what's the old saying? Something for everybody...I expect the Pats to double dip they should be able to get two players who can contribute from day 1 barring injuries. That said Flash Gordon is making me breathe a sigh of relief at our WR position. If we were going in the Dorsett I would look at BB like this.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back