PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Josh Gordon end up if he is reinstated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one am not underestimating the impact of Cooks. I'm one of the biggest supporters of that move, but that shouldn't stop this team from upgrading the depth of the other WR's.
Yeah there are reward players on the roster, but you don't pass up elite talent at bargain salary for two years, if you think you can get the guy on the right path.
Josh Gordon, and Brandin Cooks for two cost controlled years in Brady's twilight is epic...IF Bill thinks it could work.

Well I agree that if Gordon had his head right, and I hope he does, it would be an insane WR lineup.

But do you cut Amendola to make room for this guy? If they sign Gordon Amendola is gone, right? I wouldn't want to take that risk.

Working for Kraft services ? Or where ? Certainly, don't see any space anywhere on a 53 roster

It's right there, among the WR listing.

Edelman
Cooks
Mitchell
Hogan
Gordon

Fits fine. If BB maneuvered the roster a bit, there'd even be room for Jello (Amendola).

Josh+a mid round pick for Jimmy

Last edited:
Josh for Jimmy

Doesn't make sense because its widely regarded that Hue Jackson will cut Gordon when he is reinstated, so I don't see a trade like that at all. Maybe used as a sweetener.

No way Belichick takes on a guy who could easily be gone (meaning get suspended for the rest of the year) at any time.

Well I agree that if Gordon had his head right, and I hope he does, it would be an insane WR lineup.

But do you cut Amendola to make room for this guy? If they sign Gordon Amendola is gone, right? I wouldn't want to take that risk.

Well Belichick cut Lawyer Milloy when he got Rodney Harrison, so anything can happen.

Amendola is a clutch player who does not have a ton of talent or speed.
He has averaged 2 touchdowns per year over his career.

If Gordon played for an entire season
For the Patriots his numbers would be incredible.

Amendola has 3450 yards receiving in his career.

Gordon had 1,600+ In 1 season with a lousy QB on a bad team with no other weapons. Gordon was double teamed consistently & still dominated.

You can't double cover, Gordon & Cook & Gronk.

Amendola is a good soldier, but Gordon is a rare talent.

Last edited:
He would be in competition with Amendola Hogan and Mitchell for a roster spot.

Most likely to be out would be Dola.

Now I LOVE DA, but given the chance, having Gordon as your #5 receiver instead of DA, is a no brainer. But that is exactly WHY he'll never come here. If he came here, that's what he would be for the first year, the #5 receiver.

Not only has Gordon missed the better part of 2 years of play, he's not even been practicing with a team. Our offense is the league's toughes offense for a WR to learn. Despite his unique and very tantalizing skill sett, if no one got hurt it would take him a year to move up the pecking order ahead of Cook, Edelman, Hogan, and Mitchell, and that doesn't even include Gronk.

It woiuld be a great sign of maturity for him to take on the challenge and come here to resserect his career for the long term, but probably not the best business move in the short term. If I were mentoring him, I'd send to a team like the Ravens or Panthers, where he could quickly master the offense, put up the stats, and get paid faster.

There's no reason you couldn't carry 6 WR. Most teams carry that many.

Now I LOVE DA, but given the chance, having Gordon as your #5 receiver instead of DA, is a no brainer. But that is exactly WHY he'll never come here. If he came here, that's what he would be for the first year, the #5 receiver.

Not only has Gordon missed the better part of 2 years of play, he's not even been practicing with a team. Our offense is the league's toughes offense for a WR to learn. Despite his unique and very tantalizing skill sett, if no one got hurt it would take him a year to move up the pecking order ahead of Cook, Edelman, Hogan, and Mitchell, and that doesn't even include Gronk.

It woiuld be a great sign of maturity for him to take on the challenge and come here to resserect his career for the long term, but probably not the best business move in the short term. If I were mentoring him, I'd send to a team like the Ravens or Panthers, where he could quickly master the offense, put up the stats, and get paid faster.

Gordon played in the preseason last year & he looked great. He is still only 25 & if he ever joined the Patriots he would start with Cook & Edelman.
There is no way Mitchell or Hogan play before Gordon if he grasps the offense.

A conditional 2018 pick would get it done.

It's right there, among the WR listing.

Edelman
Cooks
Mitchell
Hogan
Gordon

Fits fine. If BB maneuvered the roster a bit, there'd even be room for Jello (Amendola).
That's only potentially the best receiving unit of all time when you add Gronk and Lewis/White. I guess I'd take it.

That's only potentially the best receiving unit of all time when you add Gronk and Lewis/White. I guess I'd take it.

I'm picturing the "skill" group of Gronk/Edelman/Cooks/Gordon/Lewis, and assuming average pass protection.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell any defense would shut that down without using firearms.

Last fall Pro Football Focus had the Patriots as the best fit for Josh Gordon.

Patriots, Browns among best team fits for Josh Gordon | PFF

They mention how the Patriots have taking chances on players with behavioral question marks in the past.

They also mention how Randy Moss was the most successful story in that regard. As we all know Moss scored 23 touchdowns in 2007.

Moss drew double coverage all season and Gordon is use to double coverage.
If they double Gordon he can still be productive & leave Cook & Gronk in single coverage.

If they ever got Gordon.... I could honestly see other owners cry.

I wouldn't freak if they gave him a try. After all, I used to be a drunken doper, and look at me now! It's just a stage some of us go though, probably a sign of genius, I'm thinking.

I'm all for signing Gordon. He'd be a #3 WR at most, likely a 4. The most talented #3/4 WR in NFL history.

The more depth on offense, the less wear & tear on Gronk and also Edelman, who's getting up there in age.

I wouldn't freak if they gave him a try. After all, I used to be a drunken doper, and look at me now! It's just a stage some of us go though, probably a sign of genius, I'm thinking.
Good for you, man. Those aren't easy things to overcome.

If it was a cheap asking price I can see them getting on it and giving it a whirl.

Gordon has an inflated view of himself and would never fit into this "meritocracy", if he was not #1 he would not be happy.

From my view, Gordon will wind up on the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"... just another trivia question in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back