PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Josh Gordon end up if he is reinstated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I do agree on the whole..this situation in itself is unique. I don't believe if the Patriots are in fact intrested in Gordon they would look at it as a long term deal, more as a come here for a year shut your mouth know your role and go get your monster contract next year elsewbere deal.

A year with a winner which as an organization absorbs all the media pressure and takes alot of it off the players would do wonders for the kid.

Gordon can get 3-5 passes a game and in this offense those 3 to 5 looks could yield monsterous results if he's on his game (considering who else would have to be accounted for on the field)

Would love to have him for a year or two if he's willing to come in on low dollar amount. The problem as others have stated is WR is no longer a need for the Patriots -- he would essentially be leaving Hogan and Mitchell on the sidelines for 90% of the snaps. He's a big upgrade over both of them, but if his cost is more than 5m then that upgrade is better spent on the o-line or defense. If his cost is less than 5m, you can't pass it up.

From this article it shows that Gordon's 2015 salary carried over to 2016 because he was suspended in 2015. He would then be a RFA in 2017.

Poll: What Should the Browns Do With Josh Gordon?

It is true that service time is not given during a suspension. it appears as though Gordon is under his 2015 contract number in 2017.

His 2015 contract pays him $1,068,406. So unless I am wrong, that would be his 2017 contract & then he would be a RFA in 2018.

From this article it shows that Gordon's 2015 salary carried over to 2016 because he was suspended in 2015. He would then be a RFA in 2017.

Poll: What Should the Browns Do With Josh Gordon?

It is true that service time is not given during a suspension. it appears as though Gordon is under his 2015 contract number in 2017.

His 2015 contract pays him $1,068,406. So unless I am wrong, that would be his 2017 contract & then he would be a RFA in 2018.
Yep, that's what spotrac.com has his 2017 cap hit, and 2018 status as.

Last fall Pro Football Focus had the Patriots as the best fit for Josh Gordon.

Patriots, Browns among best team fits for Josh Gordon | PFF

They mention how the Patriots have taking chances on players with behavioral question marks in the past.

They also mention how Randy Moss was the most successful story in that regard. As we all know Moss scored 23 touchdowns in 2007.

Moss drew double coverage all season and Gordon is use to double coverage.
If they double Gordon he can still be productive & leave Cook & Gronk in single coverage.

If they ever got Gordon.... I could honestly see other owners cry.
Moss is a really weak comparison. Josh Gordon has been out of football for years. He is one suspension away from being completely out of the league, maybe forever. Moss' star had fallen, but he was still a starter and playing meaningful football. Even after being traded to Oakland he was averaging 15.3 Y/R.

Everybody says, "well, Gordon's cost/risk is super low, and his reward is super high". Yes, I agree. That said, if he's such a low-risk, high-ceiling guy, then tons of teams are going to be interested in him. And if tons of teams are interested in him, it's likely he's going to go to the team that gives him the best opportunity.

I cannot see New England being the best opportunity for him. If he's on a one-year, "prove-it" deal, he's going to want to maximize his offensive output. The Patriots aren't going to start Gordon, he's going to be relegated to a third, fourth, or fifth string WR. A bottom-dweller can promise him more opportunities. A a bottom-dweller can also take a bigger gamble -- they have less to lose.

I just don't see how it makes sense for either side. We are too deep at WR, and Gordon stealing playing time from Hogan/Amendola/Cooks seems unfair, unnecessary, and illogical. And from Gordon's standpoint, why would he settle for that role, when someone lacking talent at WR -- like the Jets, 49ers, etc -- could give him more playing time and opportunities?

I agree 100%, but he would probably be taking Amendola's roster spot, as Hogan can backup Edelman in the slot.

So when we need a 1st down more than an explosive play would you prefer Gordon or Amendola be on the roster?

Gordon is the explosive, but risky, shiny object so many seemed mesmerized by.

I'm picturing the "skill" group of Gronk/Edelman/Cooks/Gordon/Lewis, and assuming average pass protection.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell any defense would shut that down without using firearms.

Because Goodell would happen.

Would pretty sweet to go into next season with

Edelman
Cooks
Gordon
Hogan
Mitchell
?Amendola? (Not sure they'd carry 6 WR, although maybe they would if they go with 3 RB)

Gronk
Allen

Lewis
White
Burkhead

Would absolutely have to get him in a trade. If Browns release him I could see teams putting a claim on him given that he's only $1m bucks for the season and then a RFA in '18.

So when we need a 1st down more than an explosive play would you prefer Gordon or Amendola be on the roster?

If the game was just a series of hundreds of 1 yard plays, you'd have a point.

He's also a very talented receiver.

Would love to have him for a year or two if he's willing to come in on low dollar amount. The problem as others have stated is WR is no longer a need for the Patriots -- he would essentially be leaving Hogan and Mitchell on the sidelines for 90% of the snaps. He's a big upgrade over both of them, but if his cost is more than 5m then that upgrade is better spent on the o-line or defense. If his cost is less than 5m, you can't pass it up.

Is he really a big upgrade over Mitchell? How do we know that?

Seriously?
Amendola has 17 touchdowns & 3,450 yards in 8 season.

He has been clutch in the playoffs, but so has Joe Flacco.

Now here is one for you....

Who is the better value in 2017...
Amendola at $7,791.668 - total cap hit
Or
Gordon at $1,068,406 - total cap hit.

Also if we make it to the Super Bowl in 2017 with both players, who do you think the NFC team is going to game plan for ?......Amendola, or Gordon

Seriously?
Amendola has 17 touchdowns & 3,450 yards in 8 season.

He has been clutch in the playoffs, but so has Joe Flacco.

Now here is one for you....

Who is the better value in 2017...
Amendola at $7,791.668 - total cap hit
Or
Gordon at $1,068,406 - total cap hit.

Also if we make it to the Super Bowl in 2017 with both players, who do you think the NFC team is going to game plan for ?......Amendola, or Gordon

And Gordon could be suspended and not even be there, while Danny has already signed elsewhere.

Danny has been huge in playoff games and I think too many fans forget that, and Danny is reportedly willing to take another pay cut.

Remember Wes Welker.

And Gordon could be suspended and not even be there, while Danny has already signed elsewhere.

Danny has been huge in playoff games and I think too many fans forget that, and Danny is reportedly willing to take another pay cut.

Remember Wes Welker.

I do remember Welker, he was a great Patriot who was washed up 1 year after leaving the Patriots.

As the Boston media & fans criticized Belichick for letting Welker go, it was the right decision.

Edelman in my eyes is a better & tougher version of Welker & as usual, Belichick was right & the sports media & fans were wrong.

Belichick does not pay players for past performance. He let Wilfork go because he was not worth 8m+ anymore.

Plenty of fans in this forum, Wanted to pay Wilfork & again the sports media & the fans were wrong & Belichick was right.

The Patriots really struggled in the first half of the last Super Bowl getting separation in man coverage.

I believe that is one of the reasons he went & got Cooks.

Brady eats up zone defenses but the Patriots struggle a bit in man coverage.

Who do you think is tougher to cover in man coverage, Gordon or Amendola?

Teams struggle to cover Gordon with double coverage. I have a feeling nobody ever considered double covering Amendola.

Last edited:
I just don't how people can say they'd rather have Amendola. I appreciate the hell out of the guy and my answer would be "find a way to have both" but if it' a choice, it's Josh Gordon.

Yes I know he's another dumb decision from being banned but Amendola is one tweak from being out for the year

Plus it's more Cooks and Gordon for Amendola.

Come on people you're telling me you don't want this

--Hogan----Cooks----Gronk-OL--------Edelman-----Gordon
---------------------------------Brady

I just don't how people can say they'd rather have Amendola. I appreciate the hell out of the guy and my answer would be "find a way to have both" but if it' a choice, it's Josh Gordon.

Yes I know he's another dumb decision from being banned but Amendola is one tweak from being out for the year

Is Goodell going to make a ruling on the Gordon reinstatement before or after the draft?

A reinstated Gordon would be an enticing part of a package for Jimmy G. I know the last thing in the world Goodell wants is anything that helps the Patriots but how does he feel about Cleveland?

Gordon 2 1sts and a second for Jimmy G.
I can understand trading him if that was offered.

Not saying it isn't enticing but I personally wouldn't want it if it means we lose Amendola. I have a good idea of what this offense will look like next year with the addition of Cooks, Mitchell with a second year under his belt, a healthy Gronk, and the rest of the SB winning crew and I like it a lot. Amendola has been clutch as hell and is a plus plus in the locker room etc... It could be the best offense this team has ever had including 2007.

I don't see the need to add a guy who has just as much upside to offer as he has downside. The downside would be Gordon getting a lifetime suspension or ban while Amendola is playing somewhere else because he was cut to make room for him.

If signing Gordon doesn't mean losing Amendola then I'm for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back