Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is John Clayton a liar

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous to even compare the two incidents. One is encouraging players to potentially end another player's career and the other is taping signals, as BB said, given in front of 80,000 people. In addition to journalistic ethics, Clayton needs some perspective.
I agree, In fact Clayton actually agreed with us as well.... Until he needed a story then he changed his tune.

Clayton went from claiming:
It was probably unfair to have the Patriots under the Spygate microscope for all this time. They were caught spying and accepted the penalty, a very harsh penalty at that.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394586&src=desktop&wjb

to
Commissioner Roger Goodell should deliberate this case and then make the biggest example out of the Saints so this offense won't be repeated. Spygate, Goodell acted too quickly and did not penaltize the Patriots and Belichick as severely as he should have.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7639644&src=desktop&wjb

So first the punishment is too harsh, then in an article called "Saints bounty story worse than Spygate" the punishment miraculously becomes not harsh enough.

Then he writes another article that says Goodell is being inconsistent for the different punishments even though he wrote himself the punishments should be different.

The guy is world class dirt bag, he just changes his story and facts with the wind to go against whoever he feels like smearing.

I agree, In fact Clayton actually agreed with us as well.... Until he needed a story then he changed his tune.

Clayton went from claiming:

to

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7639644&src=desktop&wjb

So first the punishment is too harsh, then in an article called "Saints bounty story worse than Spygate" the punishment miraculously becomes not harsh enough.

Then he writes another article that says Goodell is being inconsistent for the different punishments even though he wrote himself the punishments should be different.

The guy is world class dirt bag, he just changes his story and facts with the wind to go against whoever he feels like smearing.
Now that should definitely be pointed out to espn, consistency leads to legitimacy, lack thereof leads to the opposite.

Now that should definitely be pointed out to espn, consistency leads to legitimacy, lack thereof leads to the opposite.
No problem, I'll send another complaint in.

These hacks should know to have their **** together before they start spewing it on reddit.

These hacks should know to have their **** together before they start spewing it on reddit.
It was Patriots fans on Reddit who originally caught the lie and captured the original text before he changed it. Clayton is a well known national reporter and tv personality on ESPN covering all things NFL. He also covers the Seahawks.

These guys should learn that the 24 hour twitterverse is a double edged sword. They can lie and smear easier now, but it's all captured on the internet where we can return the favor.

It was Patriots fans who originally caught the lie and captured the original text before he changed it. Clayton is a well known national reporter and tv personality on ESPN covering all things NFL. He also covers the Seahawks.

There's no sense attributing malice to something that's more likely just incompetence.

There's no sense attributing malice to something that's more likely just incompetence.
Normally I agree, but the fact that he wrote articles about this very point is suspect. That's quite a bad memory. Even still, it was another mistake that he edited his article and made a note that he corrected the "punishment" but actually corrected what he was punished for. He didn't change what he said about the punishment at all. At some point incompetence doesn't sell.

Normally I agree, but the fact that he wrote articles about this very point is suspect. That's quite a bad memory. Even still, it was another mistake that he edited his article and made a note that he corrected the "punishment" but actually corrected what he was punished for. He didn't change what he said about the punishment at all. At some point incompetence doesn't sell.

But you're assuming these guys worry about consistency. They don't.

But you're assuming these guys worry about consistency. They don't.
I agree with you there, that's why changing his opinion wasn't part of my original post. Somebody brought up his viewpoint on punishment severity and I pointed it out it changed. He can just say he changed his mind, he's not required to be consistent. The more relevant point IMO was changing the facts. Once getting them wrong, then covering up what he got wrong.

Ridiculous to even compare the two incidents. One is encouraging players to potentially end another player's career and the other is taping signals, as BB said, given in front of 80,000 people. In addition to journalistic ethics, Clayton needs some perspective.
Found on Reddit that John Clayton published an article a few days ago where he wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eady-rocky-start-field-issues-clayton-mailbag

I guess technically it’s true BB wasn’t suspended for spying on practices. He also wasn’t suspended for assassinating Kennedy. Obviously as a national reporter he can’t fact check, but I suppose mistakes happen. Except he had already written two articles previously acknowledging that taping practices was a myth, even reporting the Herald's role.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080512...lumns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3386833

Weird, you would think an NFL reporter who wrote several articles about spygate, and two reporting that the taping rumor was “Under heavy scrutiny” would have remembered this was false. So after people complained he issue a correction that said:

Yeah, that’s not really what happened though, he didn’t incorrectly report the details of the punishment, he incorrectly reported the crime. He did actually fix the claim about taping practices, but this “correction” just replaced one lie for another.

He’s pretending he issued a correction for the punishment (500k, 250k) but in fact he never even originally stated the punishment. He is trying to weasel out of admitting his mistake by claiming to fix something else. Maybe that first claim was a mistake, but now it’s looking like his integrity has some real problems. I’m having trouble believing any of it was a mistake.

FYI- His Wikipedia page was changed:
View attachment 8696
If anyone would like to tell ESPN that you think Clayton needs to go to a journalistic ethics class here's the contacts link. Let's put him next to Jerry Rice in the used to be respected bin.

https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

If pressed he'd never admit that he purposefully lied

He'd just say he mis-remembered something from several years ago

This is 2015 - the days when we could expect reporters to get their facts right or report without clear bias are long gone. John Clayton is a good example of that.

If pressed he'd never admit that he purposefully lied

He'd just say he mis-remembered something from several years ago

This is 2015 - the days when we could expect reporters to get their facts right or report without clear bias are long gone. John Clayton is a good example of that.

These guys don't have the editorial staffs that used to come with people in their positions, so it's easier for them to miss mistakes, too.

my daddy told me when I was a kid "Joe, don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash.." Daddy Joe was a wise man...and would have squashed Clayton's little itty bitty head like a grape between his forefinger and thumb.

BB was only 11 years old when Kennedy was assassinated and lived 1,400 miles away at the time. After conducting an exhaustive retroactive investigation into allegations of BB's involvement, R. Stokoe Goodell determined that findings were inconclusive.

I'm still waiting for John Clayton to connect the dots between Bill Belichick and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. That ought to cost the Patriots a draft choice or two, and will definitely earn Bill Belichick a suspension.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/9-places-jimmy-hoffa-probably-isnt-buried

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST