PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Irsay arrested for DUI, possession of controlled substance

I guess I may be a bit extreme on this (I once knew someone who lost a close relation to a drunk/stoned driver).
That's totally understandable. And you're right, the irresponsibility toward others that addicts display should not be tolerated. But the double tragedy of it all is they have no control -- that's the nature of the illness.

Yup. A child of a Rat is what? A Rat. Baltimore was forever changed by those people. And not in a good way.

Well, if Maryland hadn't been trying to take the team by eminent domain, perhaps things would have turned out differently. I don't blame them for getting the hell out of that state ASAP before the government could initiate condemnation proceedings.

I just hope he gets treated like any other criminal. The guy is a bum

The driving under the influence thing is what upsets me the most. If it was just illegal possession of prescription drugs, then I would say give him a slap on the wrist and some mandatory counseling.... but I can't get past putting innocent lives in danger.

Agreed

He's a billionaire. It's not like he can't afford a driver. It's not like the people around him can't insist he have a driver that he can easily afford.

He's an addict - he knows it, his family knows it - his friends and colleagues know it - and they don't do anything to stop him from getting in a car to potentially kill others.

No doubt Irsay was/is in denial or can't make proper judgments and declined having a car service - but should we give his family, organization or colleagues a free pass for allowing him to commit attempted murder?

It will be interesting to see what Goodell does to an owner or organization that was complicit in allowing attempted murder

Bob Kravitz ✔ @bkravitz
I would doubt that Jim got popped for drinking. He says he hasn't had a drop in years. I'd bet the house it's drugs.

Kravitz is the most famous/notorious columnist in Indianapolis. If he tweeted that, it means something - - otherwise, he'd be facing one hell of a libel suit from a very rich man.

Probably has been using the Jim Leahy tactic.

That's totally understandable. And you're right, the irresponsibility toward others that addicts display should not be tolerated. But the double tragedy of it all is they have no control -- that's the nature of the illness.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "no control". A three-year-old having a temper tantrum has no control. The addicts I've run across (very few, thank goodness, compared with alcoholics and pot-heads) were pretty cunning. I'm sure they had no choice about where they were headed, but they planned and schemed to get there.

I am not trying to exonerate the Irsay family - primarily because I don't think they need any exoneration from the "sin" of actually moving their business to a more financially friendly location. Business do that sort of thing all the time, and the NFL (and the individual franchises) are a business. I just think it is silly to say "Baltimore was forever changed by those people".

This wasn't some major traumatic experience from which can never be recovered. No one died. Baltimore went a little over a decade without an NFL team. That's what we call a 1st World Problem.

Then you don't understand Baltimore and the role the Colts played in that town. A sports team is a strange thing. It can dramatically effect the persona of a city. The Baltimore Colts were a blue nosed, hard working team and that was a great representation of the city. The Colts were Baltimore. The Ravens are the complete opposite. They are thugs and the city has become a house of thugs. There a many old time Colts fans that just can't stand the Ravens and what they represent. And yes, I am from Baltimore (area).

Yes.

The challenge is to have a justice system that is intolerant of anyone who endangers others when under the influence of a substance while at the same time recognizing that there are now decades of data that show that punitive "toss 'em in jail" remedies do not solve the problem and only invite predictable and almost immediate recidivism...or, worse, results in addictive behavior that escalates and worsens while in prison.

Someone who drives or otherwise puts innocent people in peril must be punished, but in a way that addresses the underlying disease as well as is tough on particular actions in a reasonable manner. We've come a long way on this over the last decade, but we still have a long way to go, even though we now know that "Just say 'No'" has never worked and never will work.

(Mods: This sure looks like a thread that belongs in another forum, but so far the discussion has been respectful and civil.)

I guess it depends on what you mean by "no control". A three-year-old having a temper tantrum has no control. The addicts I've run across (very few, thank goodness, compared with alcoholics and pot-heads) were pretty cunning. I'm sure they had no choice about where they were headed, but they planned and schemed to get there.
The planning and scheming is part of having no control. They literally will do anything to feed the addiction at their own expense and that of others. It consumes their lives and often doesn't end 'til they're forced by either an intervention or getting in trouble, like Irsay.

Bob Irsay - Where's your competition committee now?

Mods, I did not see this on the first page, but could not believe it hasn't been noted...

Sports and Scores header

Irsay was pulled over near his home in suburban Carmel just before midnight Sunday by police who said they found multiple prescription drugs inside his vehicle. He was spotted driving slowly, stopping in the roadway and failing to use a turn signal, and police said Irsay failed several roadside field sobriety tests before he was arrested.

The drugs weren't associated with any of the pill bottles found inside, police said. Some weren't even in bottles.

The 54-year-old Irsay, who acknowledged a painkiller dependency more than a decade ago, faces preliminary charges of misdemeanor driving while intoxicated and four felony counts of possession of a controlled substance.

Maybe the police in Carmel should make this a "point of emphasis" this off-season.

Stay classy Indy!

Page 7, and (I think) got his first name wrong. So, so embarrassing.

I blame the pills.

Obviously the Colts lose their first round draft pick.

:bricks:

Given how wealthy he is, I think I know the drug he was busted with. He certainly doesn't looked hammered in the picture.

Crack? He doesn't look like a crack-head. Maybe you mean crystal meth.

:bricks:

I am SO thankful we have such a classy owner as Robert Kraft. At least he doesn't Tweet out nonsense and drive under the influence.

How many game checks would a player lose for an incident such as this? Irsay should be fined the equivalent number of game checks (owner's income pro-rated per game). That will get his attention. A $250K fine, like has been mentioned elsewhere, would be a joke.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back