PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Irsay arrested for DUI, possession of controlled substance

Another daddy's rich kid.

Looks like he and a fellow tweeter are setting up his story. You see, he lost weight to take weight off his back. His back apparently acts up on him most when he's out driving at 3 AM.

Is telling people what you guess happened really libel?

Nope, in my totally unprofessional opinion, there is zero chance that could be considered libelous. He's just making an informed guess, based on believing Irsay's own words about himself. (If Irsay was arrested for DUI & possession and insists he doesn't drink, the writer concludes it's presumably a drug-related arrest.) Plus Irsay surely meets the definition of "public figure" in Indianapolis, which means you'd have to prove actual malice.

Frankly, Irsay does enough to defame himself, he doesn't require any reporters' help. :p

Couldn't happen to a nicer *******. :D

Is telling people what you guess happened really libel? I have a hard time believing that it is considering how many people say they think Tom Cruise is gay but haven't been suffocated underneath an army of lawyers.

Is giving your opinion really libel? Serious, I don't know, IANAL.

The exact words in the tweet are: "I'd bet the house it's drugs."

Is telling people what you guess happened really libel? I have a hard time believing that it is considering how many people say they think Tom Cruise is gay but haven't been suffocated underneath an army of lawyers.

Is giving your opinion really libel? Serious, I don't know, IANAL.

Especially after, you know, the guy got arrested and is now facing multiple felony counts for driving under the influence of a substance. I think Irsay has more pressing legal concerns than suing Bob Kravitz for making an educated guess about the nature of the crime - a suit he would lose, since he's a public figure and proving malice would be impossible.

And suddenly that Trent Richardson deal makes a wholllllllle lot of sense.
_1369324690.gif

Schedule IV Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have a low potential for abuse relative to substances in Schedule III.

Examples of Schedule IV substances include: alprazolam (Xanax®), carisoprodol (Soma®), clonazepam (Klonopin®), clorazepate (Tranxene®), diazepam (Valium®), lorazepam (Ativan®), midazolam (Versed®), temazepam (Restoril®), and triazolam (Halcion®).
Resources - Controlled Substance Schedules

A high profile billionaire get's arrested by the local police and the details of his felony arrest are made public to the media, interesting.

Betcha he will get off with a slap on the wrist, and all of this will be labeled a "misunderstanding" or the efforts of an "overzealous rookie policeman"...

There will be no harm, no foul... and everything will be sweetness and roses.

Betcha he will get off with a slap on the wrist, and all of this will be labeled a "misunderstanding" or the efforts of an "overzealous rookie policeman"...

absolutely.........as a culture, we have an outstanding ability to make excuses for the rich as well as the poor

Nope, in my totally unprofessional opinion, there is zero chance that could be considered libelous. He's just making an informed guess, based on believing Irsay's own words about himself. (If Irsay was arrested for DUI & possession and insists he doesn't drink, the writer concludes it's presumably a drug-related arrest.) Plus Irsay surely meets the definition of "public figure" in Indianapolis, which means you'd have to prove actual malice.

Frankly, Irsay does enough to defame himself, he doesn't require any reporters' help. :p

Totally agree. "I'd bet the house" can be viwed as an opinion, which, by and large, is slim pickings for defamation.

And, for those wondering, "actual malice" means that the person publishing the defamatory comments has to know they're false—or at least have a strong suspicion about their falsehood—and then decides to publish anyways.

Feel a little bad for Luck going to a franchise with this clown owner and a clueless GM. (Overpaying FAs, Richardson trade, mediocre drafting)

Everyone knows there are different laws for how rich and connected you are.

Although it's funny, I think these mug shots should not be openly exposed. This is internal police documentation.

I disagree.

If there were substances there (and in his blood) that were illegal to the NFL (and he was driving) then he can be sanctioned by the NFL. There IS precedence for owner suspensions in major US sports - - i.e. Steinbrenner for a few years in the 80's-90's, IIRC.

Report: Irsay?s behavior was alarming around Colts organization | ProFootballTalk

From a distance, his behavior seemed erratic. I've joked about it on occasion, but now it's no laughing matter. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Exactly. We all have commented about this guy's instabilitly for a long time. Worst kept secret in sports.

BTW, from his Wiki page:

"Irsay was 12 years old when his father, Robert Irsay, purchased the Baltimore Colts. After graduating from SMU in 1982 he joined the Colts' professional staff. He was named Vice President and General Manager in 1984, one month after the Colts left Baltimore in the middle of the night, using moving vans to leave the city of Baltimore, traveling to Indianapolis. After his father suffered a stroke in 1995 Jim assumed day-to-day management with the role of Senior Executive Vice President, General Manager and Chief Operating Officer in April 1996. When his father died in 1997 Jim engaged in a legal battle with his stepmother over ownership of the team, but later became the youngest NFL team owner at that time at 37. He controls 100% of the franchise."

Not exactly a record of achievement on one's own two feet. He's just like Woody Johnson. Both of them are Little Lord Fauntroys. I joke about Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones, but at least both of those guys actually made their money on their own before being crappy and clueless NFL owners.

Exactly. We all have commented about this guy's instabilitly for a long time. Worst kept secret in sports.

BTW, from his Wiki page:

"Irsay was 12 years old when his father, Robert Irsay, purchased the Baltimore Colts. After graduating from SMU in 1982 he joined the Colts' professional staff. He was named Vice President and General Manager in 1984, one month after the Colts left Baltimore in the middle of the night, using moving vans to leave the city of Baltimore, traveling to Indianapolis. After his father suffered a stroke in 1995 Jim assumed day-to-day management with the role of Senior Executive Vice President, General Manager and Chief Operating Officer in April 1996. When his father died in 1997 Jim engaged in a legal battle with his stepmother over ownership of the team, but later became the youngest NFL team owner at that time at 37. He controls 100% of the franchise."

Not exactly a record of achievement on one's own two feet. He's just like Woody Johnson. Both of them are Little Lord Fauntroys. I joke about Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones, but at least both of those guys actually made their money on their own before being crappy and clueless NFL owners.

Yup. A child of a Rat is what? A Rat. Baltimore was forever changed by those people. And not in a good way.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back