PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Suck -- 2016 Edition (Official): Futility Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. We should all be so lucky as to be "trapped" in the Ryan Fitzpatrick Cycle.

No arguing that Fitzy has played his mediocre talents to great effect, but isn't it so jetsy for them to be the ones to give him his biggest payday ever, and then have him suck so bad that they bench him after six games?

No arguing that Fitzy has played his mediocre talents to great effect, but isn't it so jetsy for them to be the ones to give him his biggest payday ever, and then have him suck so bad that they bench him after six games?
It is delicious, but even better is the fact that the Bills paid him $21,200,000 over four seasons. So, two AFC East franchises paid $34,400,000 to a competent but journeyman quarterback who never took either team to the Playoffs. No wonder the Patriots have owned the AFC East for so many years.

It is delicious, but even better is the fact that the Bills paid him $21,200,000 over four seasons. So, two AFC East franchises paid $34,400,000 to a competent but journeyman quarterback who never took either team to the Playoffs. No wonder the Patriots have owned the AFC East for so many years.

Agreed. Not gonna sugarcoat it. It was insanely stupid re-signing Fitz. I was saying/screaming it all offseason but darn near no one agreed. Media, Jet fans, and even most here said we had to bring Fitz back.
Smh, fools. The whole lot of 'em.

Yes, mediocre QB play has been one of the themes for the rest of the AFC East. More important, and one of the reasons for the mediocre QB situation, has been that the three other teams have eplaced their HC on average every 2.5 years in the past decade. It just isn't possible to get anything going with that turnover, regardless of how good your QB is.

You are one hell of a great sport. The Jets do not deserve you as a fan.

Please come over to The Dark Side where you will be among your own kind. It's easy. Just one small cup of the Kool-Aid and you will be Belichick's forever. You will learn to embrace the hate as though it were the milk of human kindness. Just one small cup...
This post is screwed up. The Patriots have The Force flowing through them, the Jets are the Dark Side. And our little JetFan79 mascot is far from "a great sport." He's a flaming masochist.

Agreed. Not gonna sugarcoat it. It was insanely stupid re-signing Fitz. I was saying/screaming it all offseason but darn near no one agreed. Media, Jet fans, and even most here said we had to bring Fitz back.
Smh, fools. The whole lot of 'em.
Not so sure. Unless the team was willing to invest a development season in an already injured Bryce Petty, Fitz was your only real alternative. I didn't sense from Jets Message Boards, which I visit but don't troll, that Jets fans were ready to throw in the towel on the season.

Geno's only going to be playing until Petty is ready. the fans boo Smith off the field or the Jets lose their eighth game, whichever comes first. I thought Todd Bowles offered the most tepid endorsement ever of a starting QB by his HC yesterday when, in response to a reporter's question about how Geno is viewed in the lockerroom, the best Bowles could manage was "they don't hate him."

And, while we're at it (I live in NYC and read the Daily News every day), I think they have to give Bowles at least this and another season because of the mess he inherited; I liked him at the beginning but am starting to have some doubts about his leadership...unless, he's just another victim of the circus in the Jets front office, which starts at the top...a guy who inherited his Grandfather's fortune but isn't allowed with ten miles of the C-Suite by J&J's board.

Yes, mediocre QB play has been one of the themes for the rest of the AFC East. More important, and one of the reasons for the mediocre QB situation, has been that the three other teams have replaced their HC on average every 2.5 years in the past decade. It just isn't possible to get anything going with that turnover, regardless of how good your QB is.
I think Bowels is going to drag that average down.

And, while we're at it (I live in NYC and read the Daily News every day), I think they have to give Bowles at least this and another season because of the mess he inherited; I liked him at the beginning but am starting to have some doubts about his leadership...unless, he's just another victim of the circus in the Jets front office, which starts at the top...a guy who inherited his Grandfather's fortune but isn't allowed with ten miles of the C-Suite by J&J's board.
I think its more of the later than the former, the Jets are stacking up to be a four-win team this season and next season is going to be a total reboot. My bet is that Bowels will be let loose!

This post is screwed up. The Patriots have The Force flowing through them, the Jets are the Dark Side. And our little JetFan79 mascot is far from "a great sport." He's a flaming masochist.
As any fan of Star Wars knows, the Force flows through the Universe. Yoda says of a young Anakin Skywalker that "the Force is very strong in this one" (or maybe it was "very strong is the Force in this one":)).

I kind of like being viewed as the Dark Side by the self-appointed, self-righteous, Jedi Knights at 345 Park and the likes of Tomlin, Harbaugh and Mara. ;)

Last edited:
I think Bowels is going to drag that average down.

I think its more of the later than the former, the Jets are stacking up to be a four-win team this season and next season is going to be a total reboot. My bet is that Bowels will be let loose!
I hope you're wrong because I'd love it if the Jets held on to another marginally competent/incompetent HC. I think they'll give him his third season. One of the reasons for their futility is that it takes the Jets longer to recognize and correct their mistakes.

Since Geno Smith was taken in the 2nd round in 2013, here are the easily draftable QBs that the Jets have missed on. Any one of them would have greatly improved their future outlook.

Teddy Bridgewater 2014 1st round, 32nd overall
Derek Carr 2014 2nd round
Jimmy Garrappolo 2014 2nd round
Dak Prescott 2016 4th round

And these guys are probably preferable to their current roster
Trevor Siemian 2015 7th round
Jacoby Brissett 2016 3rd round
Paxton Lynch 2015 1st round, 26th overall
Mike Glennon, 2013 3rd round

Instead they've taken a QB every year since 2013 and have nothing to show for it.
Geno Smith, 2013 2nd round
Tajh Boyd, 2014 6th round
Bryce Petty, 2015 4th round
Christian Hackenberg, 2016 2nd round

Since Geno Smith was taken in the 2nd round in 2013, here are the easily draftable QBs that the Jets have missed on. Any one of them would have greatly improved their future outlook.

Teddy Bridgewater 2014 1st round, 32nd overall
Derek Carr 2014 2nd round
Jimmy Garrappolo 2014 2nd round
Dak Prescott 2016 4th round

And these guys are probably preferable to their current roster
Trevor Siemian 2015 7th round
Jacoby Brissett 2016 3rd round
Paxton Lynch 2015 1st round, 26th overall
Mike Glennon, 2013 3rd round

Instead they've taken a QB every year since 2013 and have nothing to show for it.
Geno Smith, 2013 2nd round
Tajh Boyd, 2014 6th round
Bryce Petty, 2015 4th round
Christian Hackenberg, 2016 2nd round
Wow. I wish there were a "Very Useful" icon, because that deserves it.
Clearly, more than a couple "real" NFL starting QB's on that list. Almost worth posting on a Jets board and getting banned. But, one does wonder if the dysfunctional Jets organization wouldn't have figured out how to screw the good prospects up.
I live in NYC and there does seem to be some hope for Bryce Petty, who might well have gotten the call over Geno had he not been injured over the summer.

The guy was a Math major at Harvard.

He was drafted in the seventh round in 2005 with a signing bonus of $28,200 (no, I didn't leave out any zeroes...that's twenty eight thousand).

If my own math is correct, including this season, the lad has pulled down $42,130,000 and change in career earnings, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus out of the pocket of the Bills and a cool $15,200,000 from the Jets.

If the cycle proves true, he's probably good for another $2--3 million somewhere next year as a reliable backup (plus some performance incentives), if, that is, he thinks it's worth getting his head bashed in for another season.

The Jets do indeed suck and will suck for the foreseeable if not everlasting future. But Ryan Fitzpatrick is one smart dude.
To earn 42 million doing something you suck at is truly a remarkable feat.

Fitzpatrick.jpg

Ref: The Great QB Controversy of 2016 - The Draw Play

The guy was a Math major at Harvard.

He was drafted in the seventh round in 2005 with a signing bonus of $28,200 (no, I didn't leave out any zeroes...that's twenty eight thousand).

If my own math is correct, including this season, the lad has pulled down $42,130,000 and change in career earnings, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus out of the pocket of the Bills and a cool $15,200,000 from the Jets.

If the cycle proves true, he's probably good for another $2--3 million somewhere next year as a reliable backup (plus some performance incentives), if, that is, he thinks it's worth getting his head bashed in for another season.

The Jets do indeed suck and will suck for the foreseeable if not everlasting future. But Ryan Fitzpatrick is one smart dude.

i wrote this in the Rumor (speculation): Fitzpatrick to sign with Patriots? thread earlier this summer:

Rams - replaced Jamie Martin (concussion)
Bengals - replaced Carson Palmer twice (torn ligament and tendon in elbow)
Bills - replaced Trent Edwards (concussion)
Titans - replaced Jake Locker twice (hip, lisfranc)
Texans - replaced Ryan Mallett (torn pectoral)
Jets - replaced Geno Smith (broken jaw)

six different teams fitzy has started for. it got me wondering which QB has started (not just played in a game or was on the roster) for the most different teams. here's what i could come up with:

7 teams
Chris Chandler - IND, TAM, PHO, RAM x 2 (LA and STL), HOU, ATL, CHI

6 teams
Earl Morrall - SFO, PIT, DET, NYG, BAL, MIA
Kerry Collins - CAR, NOR, NYG, OAK, TEN, IND
Steve DeBerg - SFO, DEN, TAM x 3, KAN, MIA, ATL
Vinny Testaverde - TAM, CLE, BAL, NYJ x 2, DAL, CAR

any others anyone can think of?

i wrote this in the Rumor (speculation): Fitzpatrick to sign with Patriots? thread earlier this summer:

six different teams fitzy has started for. it got me wondering which QB has started (not just played in a game or was on the roster) for the most different teams. here's what i could come up with:

7 teams

6 teams

Check with Brian Hoyer in a few years. He's started games for Arizona, Cleveland, Houston, and Chicago already.

Geez, he has a winning career record of 16-15. You could win a few bar bets with that one.

Check with Brian Hoyer in a few years. He's started games for Arizona, Cleveland, Houston, and Chicago already.

Geez, he has a winning career record of 16-15. You could win a few bar bets with that one.
good one. matt cassell, too -- fivefour different teams: NWE, KAN, MIN, BUF, DAL.

edit: hmmm, pro-football reference has him listed as starting a game for BUF, although he was cut before the season started.

7 teams

6 teams

Great list. Message: there's good money to be made if your ego can accept that you're not a Franchise QB and are willing to wait in the wings as a Backup, even when you think you're better than the guy who's starting. (A guy like Fitz has the added advantage of a math Degree from a pretty good school; if he's willing to put on a suit and tie and show up at an office a couple days a week, he could pull down seven figures as a "closer" in the New York area for a Private Bank or an Investment Manager. Not the guy who beats the bushes, but the guy who shows up for lunch or dinner with a big fish you want to land, who happens to have graduated from an Ivy League school. He's more than smart enough to talk the talk.)

I think Mark Sanchez might be on it before he's done. Cassell? Hoyer?

To earn 42 million doing something you suck at is truly a remarkable feat.

True enough. He picked the right profession.
But to be fair, he doesn't suck at playing QB. He's in the top 1%. He just sucks when the context is the very small fraction of QB's that make it to the NFL.

7 teams

6 teams

Well, this is stretching it a little by including CFL and USFL and"()" are teams I don't think he 'started' a game for, but. . .

7 Teams started (9 total)
Doug Flutie - (Drafted-LA Rams), NJ Generals, (CHI), NEP, BC Lions, Calgary Stampede, Toronto Argonauts, BUF, SDC, (NEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes