PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets big win is best thing that could've happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what universe or dimensional plane are the Jets a bigger threat to the Patriots going to the Super Bowl than the Steelers?

And, once again, it hurts their fan base far more deeply when they fall AFTER being built up in their minds.

Sadistic?

Yes.

Since 2009, the Jets have beaten the Patriots 3 times, including once to end their playoff run during a 14-2 season. In the same amount of time, the Steelers have beaten the Patriots once. Further, even if the Jets were 1-14 and the Steelers were 14-1 and the Pats needed them to lose to get homefield advantage throughout, I still wouldn't be able to root for the Jets. Didn't root for them in the final week of 2008 either, even though I knew what was at stake. No offense, shmessy, but no Patriots fan in their right mind can root for the Jets with a straight face.

Since 2009, the Jets have beaten the Patriots 3 times, including once to end their playoff run during a 14-2 season. In the same amount of time, the Steelers have beaten the Patriots once. Further, even if the Jets were 1-14 and the Steelers were 14-1 and the Pats needed them to lose to get homefield advantage throughout, I still wouldn't be able to root for the Jets. Didn't root for them in the final week of 2008 either, even though I knew what was at stake. No offense, shmessy, but no Patriots fan in their right mind can root for the Jets with a straight face.

Except the Jets haven't beat the Pats since the 2010 playoffs and the Steelers beat the Pats' last year. The Jets haven't shown they have an answer for the Pats' TEs and the Steelers showed they did at least far more than the Jets did.

Except the Jets haven't beat the Pats since the 2010 playoffs and the Steelers beat the Pats' last year. The Jets haven't shown they have an answer for the Pats' TEs and the Steelers showed they did at least far more than the Jets did.

For one, the Steelers beat us by surprise. They utilized more man coverage with a three to four man rush than they had previously used. The real reason they beat us, though, is by controlling the clock on drives where they systematically marched downfield. It was really due more to what they did on offense more than what they did on defense.

Regardless, that's neither here nor there. We don't play the Steelers this season. We play the Jets twice. The Steelers are not a threat for the division because they play outside of the division. The Jets are a threat for the division because they play in the same division. The Steelers have started 0-1. The Jets have started 1-0 and are 1-0 within the division. The Jets, as of right now, are the bigger threat. They have had more of a history of beating us than the Steelers have as well. You'll excuse me if I'm rooting for the Steelers over them. Before we worry about the playoffs, we need to worry about the division first.

For one, the Steelers beat us by surprise. They utilized more man coverage with a three to four man rush than they had previously used. The real reason they beat us, though, is by controlling the clock on drives where they systematically marched downfield. It was really due more to what they did on offense more than what they did on defense.

Regardless, that's neither here nor there. We don't play the Steelers this season. We play the Jets twice. The Steelers are not a threat for the division because they play outside of the division. The Jets are a threat for the division because they play in the same division. The Steelers have started 0-1. The Jets have started 1-0 and are 1-0 within the division. The Jets, as of right now, are the bigger threat. They have had more of a history of beating us than the Steelers have as well. You'll excuse me if I'm rooting for the Steelers over them. Before we worry about the playoffs, we need to worry about the division first.

Personally, I am rooting for the Steelers because I don't think they are going to make the playoffs anyway. I think the Pats are better off with them winning for most of the reasons you stated in this post.

My only disagreement was that their recent records against the Pats is a factor. IMHO, I don't think that comes into play in which team I will root for.

I'm rooting for the Steelers as well. Yes, I can't stand them and their horrendous fanbase, but I have more respect for them as an organization than I do for the Jets. In addition, the sooner the Jets fall into a tailspin, the better. Any word on the status of Harrison and Clark going into the game BTW? Having those guys back helps that defense quite a bit.

Personally, I am rooting for the Steelers because I don't think they are going to make the playoffs anyway. I think the Pats are better off with them winning for most of the reasons you stated in this post.

My only disagreement was that their recent records against the Pats is a factor. IMHO, I don't think that comes into play in which team I will root for.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because it does for me. With the Steelers, I see the loss being more a fluke based on the old bait and switch in which the completely retooled their normal game plan just for one game against us. With the Jets, I see their two losses against us being more or less perfect execution on the offensive end and very good execution (which was different from the norm throughout the season last year) on the defensive end as being reasons why.

But, since 2009, the Jets have beaten us with more regularity than any other team in the NFL. Combine that with the reasons I listed in my last post, and I'll say that as of right now the Jets are the bigger threat. Now, that's subject to change, of course. Just talk to me in Week 17. :D

Was thinking the same. Never in the history of pro sports has a team been so focused and reliant on what other people thought of them. "Serve notice to the rest of the league"!!! What a pitiful frame of mind.

Um Rodney and his disrespect card both say hello.:p

I don't know what game you were watching.

That was a world class butt kicking that day. The Pats got a little closer late in the game on some gadgetry, but they were getting killed on BOTH LINES. How is that 'beating us by surprise'? I call that a blunt beatdown, not some 'surprise'.

This is 2012. Roethlisberger + Wallace > Sanchez and Santarpio. The Steeler Way > The Jets Circus.

I'm sorry if I don't share the same respect you have for the New York Jets. They are dog fakers.

There are well-run franchises and dysfunctional ones. The Jets are in a downward spiral and last Sunday - at home against a mediocre team - they held serve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes