PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets big win is best thing that could've happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words the Jets are number one because while wining counts, losing counts almost as much, because garnering the most attention is another way of winning the Superbowl. Which is why Ryan will be around for a good while.

That's the spirit!:bricks:

The Jets defense (no one can question it) is what obviously jump started their easy victory. The Bills had to play out of hole---pass, pass, pass... which made the rest so easy.

But more to issue here is that the Jets are already a very successful team (in ownership terms) because they are on every team's and every fan's map---and the Patriot fans, if not the team itself, are primo at keeping them on this map. They just love the endless "Jets Suck" threads and Jet features and columns in the Boston press.

In other words the Jets are number one because while wining counts, losing counts almost as much, because garnering the most attention is another way of winning the Superbowl. Which is why Ryan will be around for a good while.

:D:singing:

If one defines winning as going 43 years and counting without a championship then this is the most insightful post I have ever seen from a Jets fan.

Of course the Jets have racked up an impressive record of winning off season championships.

Bart Scott is already talking trash and the Jets feel like they're on top of the world.

They allowed 28 points though, and although they won big, they got off to a huge lead thanks to some turnovers and didn't really need to play much of a game after that.

With the type of team this is (huge egos, total livewire).. I'd love to see them get full of themselves... will only push them closer to their downfall.

Nice try at trying to spin this thing into some sort of positive here, but the Jets getting a big win is never a positive. Any time a team gets a huge win it's a positive thing for them. Especially a team that is supposed to be shaky like the Jets. A big win at the very beginning of the season is exactly what they need to build off of, especially for Sanchez. Hopefully they play horribly next week.

:D:singing:

If one defines winning as going 43 years and counting without a championship then this is the most insightful post I have ever seen from a Jets fan.

Of course the Jets have racked up an impressive record of winning off season championships.

I am and have been an exclusive Pats fan for decades. I should have spent more time making it clear that I was saying this only in terms of Jet ownership.

I am and have been an exclusive Pats fan for decades. I should have spent more time making it clear that I was saying this only in terms of Jet ownership.

Your argument fails there too:

Football's Most Valuable Teams - Forbes

#6.

Two places and $200 million behind the team they share a new stadium with.

Four places behind the Patriots.

They are not "number one in terms of ownership" in any respect. They are not "number one" even in their own building.

They are NUMBER 3 within a 190 mile radius.

Further, they are the team with the HIGHEST DEBT TO VALUE in the NFL at 58% and are 18th in Operating Income.

Last edited:
as far as symbolism goes ...the Jets will always be #2.....you know...manure

What i take out of that game is that the bills are closer to the team that finished last year poorly and not as close to competing as many thought.

If you look at it positively, what we have is one less team in the division that is above average in play.

The jets played a lot better than what I expected and the bills a lot worse.

Fail to see how it's the best thing that could have happened. Best thing that can happen is our division opponents lose that's it.

All the other hyperbole are just maybe's and hopes. In saying that i always want our division to be just good enough to miss the playoffs every year and not bad enough to get top 10 picks... you can only miss on so many before you hit.

I'm glad they won. Jet Fans only have two emotions; delusions of granduer and self loathing. They are no fun in those few moments of clarity when they realize they suck.

I think they will be Pitt next week (Pitt is an 8-8 team at best). Beating them in Oct will be so much more fun if they have a winning record.

I don't get it. Why are people here "glad" to see the Jets win? A loss and some early season strife is the best thing that could have happened. That said, Ryan Fitzpatrick should have been handed their game ball in the Jets locker room after the game.

Fail to see how it's the best thing that could have happened. Best thing that can happen is our division opponents lose that's it.

Think for a second.

Only one of those two teams (BOTH of whom are division opponents of which you speak) could lose last Sunday.

The one that did was the one I was more (being a relative term) worried about.

The one that held serve with a home win, I'm not.

It's all good. I like it when Rex and the circus gets all full of themselves early, makes bigger asses of themselves and then take the hard fall. It's not as much fun beating up on them when they are humble and out of it.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why are people here "glad" to see the Jets win? A loss and some early season strife is the best thing that could have happened. That said, Ryan Fitzpatrick should have been handed their game ball in the Jets locker room after the game.

I think mediocrity is what we want for the Green Beans. It keeps the current ownership/management regime in place and keeps their fans in purgatory. Too much strife and they'll make changes.

:agree:

The only hope I can take out of this win is
1. Fitzpatrick had been analyzed all off season and Jets were prepared to handle him.
2. Bills defense really sucks or they will need several weeks for it to gel.
3. Sanchize was not pressured much at all. From the few highlights it looked like he had lots of time.

Too early to say but my guess is the Jets Offense and Defense is not nearly as good as it appeared to be on Sunday.
Of course you could say that about the PATs D also.

Time will tell but this Jet's win is not good as all. A team with self confidence, even if not deserved, can help a team exceed normally expected outcomes.

That is what Rex tries to do all the time. He build his team up even if they
don't deserve it so that the confidence factor will mask their weaknesses.

:agree:

The only hope I can take out of this win is
1. Fitzpatrick had been analyzed all off season and Jets were prepared to handle him.
2. Bills defense really sucks or they will need several weeks for it to gel.
3. Sanchize was not pressured much at all. From the few highlights it looked like he had lots of time.

Too early to say but my guess is the Jets Offense and Defense is not nearly as good as it appeared to be on Sunday.
Of course you could say that about the PATs D also.

Time will tell but this Jet's win is not good as all. A team with self confidence, even if not deserved, can help a team exceed normally expected outcomes.

That is what Rex tries to do all the time. He build his team up even if they
don't deserve it so that the confidence factor will mask their weaknesses.

Here's where a more savvy webnik can insert the picture of the movie Joker asking "Not sure if serious".

Are you actually afraid of the New York Jets??????

Lemme set you straight and state the obvious.

They are a joke.

Their coach makes Bobby Valentine look like a sober and intelligent adult.

They are not even in the same universe with the 2012 New England Patriots.

Last edited:
i watched the whole game, unfortunately.

Two thoughts.

One. Sanchez is an NFL QB; he's not a "very good" or even "pretty good" NFL QB, but, after being forced to watch him for three years here in NYC, it's pretty clear to me that he meets the minimum standard of being able to run an offense on Sunday afternoon (of course, you shouldn't trade up for and build your team around a player like Sanchez, but that's another topic). IMO, after the Jets jettison him two or three years from now, he will have a long career, barring injury, as a journeyman starter for franchises that have histories of not building strong teams and whose fan-bases are either weak or don't expect much anyway. If his ego could accept it, he would also be a fine backup for an elite QB, from which position he might be able to learn enough to become "pretty good" someday; but, he will never accept that.

So, when playing against an acceptable to average defense, Sanchez will always complete his share of passes when the routes are conventional and the receiver has no trouble getting separation. His only pass that I thought was noteworthy was one he completed into the end zone. It was perfectly placed and the Buffalo defender could do nothing about it.

Two. As others have observed, they gave up 28 points to what is effectively an NCAA offense, complete with a QB from Hahvahd..

In other words, it's a long season. Reality should set in this weekend in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
BTW, I'll be rooting HARD for them to beat the Stillers this Sunday.

Let 'em go 6-0 and strut like buffoons into Gillette.

Then get their endzones handed to them.

If they go 6-10, it will be painful enough to suffah, but not enough to get a high draft pick.

Last edited:
i watched the whole game, unfortunately.

Two thoughts.

One. Sanchez is an NFL QB; he's not a "very good" or even "pretty good" NFL QB, but, after being forced to watch him for three years here in NYC, it's pretty clear to me that he meets the minimum standard of being able to run an offense on Sunday afternoon (of course, you shouldn't trade up for and build your team around a player like Sanchez, but that's another topic). IMO, after the Jets jettison him two or three years from now, he will have a long career, barring injury, as a journeyman starter for franchises that have histories of not building strong teams and whose fan-bases are either weak or don't expect much anyway. If his ego could accept it, he would also be a fine backup for an elite QB, from which position he might be able to learn enough to become "pretty good" someday; but, he will never accept that.

So, when playing against an acceptable to average defense, Sanchez will always complete his share of passes when the routes are conventional and the receiver has no trouble getting separation. His only pass that I thought was noteworthy was one he completed into the end zone. It was perfectly placed and the Buffalo defender could do nothing about it.

Two. As others have observed, they gave up 28 points to what is effectively an NCAA offense, complete with a QB from Hahvahd..

In other words, it's a long season. Reality should set in this weekend in Pittsburgh.

I watched the whole game as well, and would disagree w/ you about Sanchez. It's one game, but if he plays like that consistently, I think it's clear that he has taken it up a notch this season. His throws were excellent throughout the game, as was his decision-making.

The Jets are a well-coached team with talent. Lots of low expectations based on locker-room strife at the end of last season & an anemic preseason, but both are basically meaningless now. They're a tough out.

About the only positive I can see is that it could lead to a little whistling past the graveyard (see Patriots 2002). Contrary to what everyone (including the Jets) believe, they didn't score 48 points on offense. 34 is still a good number but none of their 4 touchdown drives required 60 yards of offense. Their running game was terrible. The much hyped Tebow package was a bust.

The Jets were able to get downfield throws on primary reads. For a Bills defense that generated no sacks, no QB hits and only 1 pass defensed, allowing easy deep passes is inexcusable. Between Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, they made over a million dollars for this game and got exactly 1 more tackle than I did on Sunday.

Is that the Jets new formula for success? Average 3 ypc on the ground and attack downfield in the air? They play the Steelers, 49ers and Texans in the next month. If they finish that stretch at 3-2 or better, I will give them a lot of credit. After that point, the schedule looks very manageable and their playoff chances look positive. Until then, give them props for holding serve in a division home game. Anything more sounds like a lot of whistling to me.

Jets losing to Pitt next week and then having a meltdown game against the LOLPhins the following week would be an early Christmas gift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey