PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Retiring as a Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see him retiring a Patriot than see him trying to continue his career somewhere else as shell of his former self.

Thanks for all the years of great play Jerod!

Mayo it seems like yesterday you were the top linebacker on the team mentioned in league circles with Patrick Willis as the best inside linebackers.
You were the consumate Patriot you lead on and off the field made everybody better.
Taught young men professionalism and always played with class and integrity.
You are a Patriot hall of famer sir and god bless to your next chapter in life.

Just waiting on the Cannon and Lafell retirement news and the Pats will be open for business :cool:

Thanks for all your hard work, Jerod. We'll miss you!

He should come back as a LB coach for the Patriots. He can still help our young LB! How much do we save with him retiring?

Strictly as a Pats fan, I'm kinda glad that he's retiring rather than being cut and going somewhere else.

That said, had he continued his career elsewhere, I would've kept following him and continued to root for. He was great for us, was a total team player, and was underrated in his prime.

Definitely gonna miss Bill's son, he was a top 3-5 LB in the NFL before injuries killed his career, never the "playmaker" everyone wanted when comparing him to Patrick Willis, but there wasn't a more sure bet as a tackler than Mayo and he led the defense til 2013.

Definitely gonna miss Bill's son, he was a top 3-5 LB in the NFL before injuries killed his career, never the "playmaker" everyone wanted when comparing him to Patrick Willis, but there wasn't a more sure bet as a tackler than Mayo and he led the defense til 2013.
He was fantastic in 2010 especially.

There was a time when he was quick as a cat. Injuries happen ;(

Good luck Mr. Mayo!

All I can say is Mayo helped us all get over the Tedy Bruschi retirement in a way I don't think many would have seen. Right up there IMO with the finest Patriots on and off the pitch.

Loved his leadership, was excited when the Pats drafted him. Thought he would be a perennial Pro Bowler and have a longer career than he did. Injuries suck.

Best wishes to him and his family, and kudos to a nice career, all as a Patriot. I'm glad he has a Super Bowl ring to show for it.

How much do we save with him retiring?

According to @Miguel, we save approx. 6.5m dollars (I think it's actually 6.475m), since the replacement/top 51 player's salary needs to be accounted for at 525k.

That currently leaves the team with approx. 13m dollars in available cap space for the upcoming season.

Was always underrated for what he did for us in his prime 4-5 years ago.

Gonna Miss seeing Jerod on the field. he was always more to this defense than people gave him credit for.

Glad he is smart enough to know when to call it quits before his body becomes really broken down. One of my fav Patriots, a true team player and student of the game. Its comforting knowing we have the likes of HT and Collins ready to man the middle of that defense for the foreseeable future.

There was always an undercurrent of disdain for Mayo on this board as there was concern about his ability to create turnovers.. however he was a sure tackler and a great leader on and off the field.

During the Tebow days when everyone was all wrapped up in his religious shenanigans, Mayo was always a spiritual leader of this team as well and even though he want not all wrapped in public displays in the middle of the field, he was religious leader away from the spotlight.

Will miss, "Miss Mayo", perhaps we can start a petition to have her replace Borges or another mediot..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back