PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Ranked #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
To reiterate and expand on my earlier post (again based upon that Wikipedia link):

Ray Lewis has fewer than 100 career tackles for a loss, yet he's considered one of the very best linebackers ever to play the game. So, even granting him a full 100 TFLs to make a round number,

100/15 = 6.67 TFL/year

If you've got different totals, I'd be happy to see them.

Did you quote the right post? Maybe I was unclear..... I was not supporting his argument, I was shooting a giant hole in it.

Last edited:
Did you quote the right post? Maybe I was unclear..... I was not supporting his argument, I was shooting a giant hole in it.

I quoted the right post. According to you, Mayo had 5 TFL. A sure-fire, first ballot HOF player averages 6.7 TFL. You're acting as if Mayo was a chump for falling 1.7 TFL short of that HOFer's average.

Last edited:
I quoted the right post. According to you, Mayo had 5 TFL. A sure-fire, first ballot HOF player averages 6.7 TFL. You're acting as if Mayo was a chump for falling 1.7 TFL short of that HOFer's average.
I think you got the wrong guy

I think Mayo is effing awesome and the only aspect of his game I've ever criticized was his stone hands... which is pretty minor for an ILB.

I think Mayo is effing awesome and the only aspect of his game I've ever criticized was his stone hands... which is pretty minor for an ILB.

You're absolutely correct, and it was my mistake. What's worse is that I screwed it up even after looking to be sure. :bricks:

This is the one I was posting the followup to:

175 tackles and 5 were for losses. Anybody can make a ton of tackles past the line of scrimmage.

My bad.

<-------- heading to the penalty box

You're absolutely correct, and it was my mistake. What's worse is that I screwed it up even after looking to be sure. :bricks:

This is the one I was posting the followup to:

My bad.

<-------- heading to the penalty box

It's a holiday weekend, don't sweat it ;) :eat2:

The DEs align on the Ts, and the NT algins on the C.
Please explain how if they are 2 gapping those players they keep the G off the LB.
You are just simply wrong.

You simply do not know what you are talking about, The Pats 2 gap defensive scheme is designed so that the D Lineman command double blocks allowing the LB's to make plays.

You simply do not know what you are talking about, The Pats 2 gap defensive scheme is designed so that the D Lineman command double blocks allowing the LB's to make plays.
That's not correct. Quit whilst you still can.

You think Seymour will struggle? The guy has been the best D-lineman in football and one of the key players on a dynasty. To me he should be a 1st ballot HoF-er. The NFL also named him the all time best #6 overall pick and the all-decade team. That's gotta count for something,right?

The thought that we will probably have the fewest HoFers than any dynasty is pretty interesting. Can't really disagree with it. We never had guys putting up monster numbers...everybody just did their jobs and we won more than anybody.

I absolutely think Seymour will "struggle" in that it may take him up to a decade to get into the Hall. He certainly won't be a first ballot HOF. The HOF voters tend to have an offensive position bias and a lot of guarantee HOF defensive players have to wait over a decade to get in. Look how long it took Andre Tippett to get in eventhough he had the sack stats, was arguably the best OLB not named Lawrence Taylor in the 80s and had DPOY honor.

Seymour might have been the best d-lineman of the previous decade, but that doesn't mean he will have an easy path to Canton. The only first ballot HOFer to play on the Pats' Dynasty is Brady. I think even Belichick will have to wait a couple of years because of the Spygate backlash.

Or a more relevant recent example. Derrick Thomas retired after the 1999 season (died in 2000) and didn't get in until 2009 (he was eligible for the Hall in 2004). He was a nine time Pro Bowler, 6 time All Pro, won the DPOY once, holds the sing game sack record, 10th all time in sacks, and was on the All Decade team for the 1990s. For that matter, Kevin Greene is third in career sacks and still waiting to get into the HOF even 11 years after he retired. Or Charles Haley who has 5 Super Bowl rings, over 100 career sacks, and five Pro Bowl appearances and he is still waiting to get into the Hall 11 years after he retired (although he was not a likable person that might have made the Hall voters biased against him).

Dude, you have proven you don't understand the defense. Why not read what people who know what they are talking about say and learn something, instead of saying you are right when you simply are not.
A defense cannot be designed to command double teams. That is foolish.
Turn on some film, and tell me who blocks the ILB on plays run to his area of responsibility. You will see it is the G.
Then take a look and how our ILBs actually play. They are many yards off the ball. They step up first to their area of resposibility. Unless there is a blitz, pretty much by definition the only area they could make a tackle for loss would be plays run on either side of the G. Please explain to me how an offense would run a play to either side of the G and have the G ignore the man head up on him playing 2 gap off of him? What kind of play design would that be? Then explain how you would expect Mayo to blow up the G from 5 yards off the los and make a tackle for loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft