PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Ranked #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should take a remedial course on the understanding a 2 gap 34 defense.
Tackles for loss basically happen when a player is unblocked or blitzes. The first never happens in our D, and the second is extemely rare for an ILB.
I guess you think he should have had more rushing yards too.

Being ranked the 66th LB in TFL's isn't too good no matter what system you are playing.

Being ranked the 66th LB in TFL's isn't too good no matter what system you are playing.

When 100 starting LBs play in more aggressive schemes than you, being 66th in TFLs is nothing to complain about.

You are kidding right?
Do you even understand what Mayos job is?
He is responsible for the area between the C and T on his side of the ball. Any time the ball is run to that area, the G will come out to block him and his job to control the gap on both side of the G, which means almost every time he must engage the blocker and play off the block. If the play goes away from that area his first responsibility is to guard against counter or cutback, before pursuing.
If you really think he has a chance in the world of ranking highly in tackles for loss, you simply do not understand the defense.

You are kidding right?
Do you even understand what Mayos job is?
He is responsible for the area between the C and T on his side of the ball. Any time the ball is run to that area, the G will come out to block him and his job to control the gap on both side of the G, which means almost every time he must engage the blocker and play off the block. If the play goes away from that area his first responsibility is to guard against counter or cutback, before pursuing.
If you really think he has a chance in the world of ranking highly in tackles for loss, you simply do not understand the defense.

LOL, in the Pats defensive scheme the D Lineman take on the blockers, freeing up the LB's to make the play.

62's a good spot for Mayo, and maybe even generous. Remember, guys like Jared Allen, Lance Briggs, and Cameron Wake all came before him. Means other players likely regard him as a top 5 player at MLB/ILB. To me, R. Lewis, J. Farrior, and P. Willis all obviously deserve to be higher, and then Mayo's right there with the J. Vilma's and D. Harris's of the world. Mayo's never been part of a truly strong defense, and I can't think of too many times he's really stepped up in crunch time. He's still young, and has potential to improve. But to suggest he's any better than 4th or 5th at his position is a serious stretch to me.

I also agree that McCourty deserved to be on this list. He was a top 5 corner last year, easy. His impact was far more impressive than Tampa Bay's Mike Williams, who somehow managed to sneak in.

Last edited:
Four Pats in the top 50. Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins seem like easy choices. Who's the 4th? Welker? Vollmer? McCourty?

I would have said that it was easily McCourty, but Suh just went at #51.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Without summoning Jay here to discuss Fairbanks 3-4 mechanics, I believe that if the 3-4 defensive linemen are monstruous enough, then the guards will be preoccupied with helping their comrades handle the leviathan disruptors. However, this is rarely the case. I remember reading an article on Parcell's and 3-4 defenses. He calls it the "Planet Theory" (there are only so many of these beastly players out there who can disrupt a guard's normal duties). Players like Richard Seymour fit the bill, but these players are too rare and consequently inside linebackers are responsible for the taking on guards on almost every run play.

Four Pats in the top 50. Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins seem like easy choices. Who's the 4th? Welker? Vollmer? McCourty?

I would have said that it was easily McCourty, but Suh just went at #51.

Yeah, it's gotta be Welker. Anything from here on out is probably too high, though. Is he really better, right now, then Miles Austin, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings, or Brandon Lloyd? I love Welker, though, so I'm happy for him.

Last edited:
The "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4 system is known as a two gap system, because each of the defensive linemen are required to cover the gaps to both sides of the offensive lineman that try to block them.[13] Defensive linemen in this system tend to be stouter, as they need to be able to hold their place without being overwhelmed in order to allow the linebackers behind them to make plays. This is the reason that defensive linemen such as Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork do not always rack up sack and tackle statistics despite their critical importance to the team.[14]

If the D Linemen are allowing Guards to get to the ILB's they aren't doing their jobs.

The "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4 system is known as a two gap system, because each of the defensive linemen are required to cover the gaps to both sides of the offensive lineman that try to block them.[13] Defensive linemen in this system tend to be stouter, as they need to be able to hold their place without being overwhelmed in order to allow the linebackers behind them to make plays. This is the reason that defensive linemen such as Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork do not always rack up sack and tackle statistics despite their critical importance to the team.[14]

If the D Linemen are allowing Guards to get to the ILB's they aren't doing their jobs.
The DEs align on the Ts, and the NT algins on the C.
Please explain how if they are 2 gapping those players they keep the G off the LB.
You are just simply wrong.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Serioulsy, you are 100% wrong. No offense, but you just do not understand this defense.
The ILB 2 gaps the G. How can the DL keep blockers off of him. It just flat out does not work that way.

From that perspective, 2 out of 3 of your Dlinemen must get double teamed by Olinemen on every runnning play. Either you are immensely stubborn of thought, or you are a troll.

From that perspective, 2 out of 3 of your Dlinemen must get double teamed by Olinemen on every runnning play. Either you are immensely stubborn of thought, or you are a troll.

To reiterate and expand on my earlier post (again based upon that Wikipedia link):

Ray Lewis has fewer than 100 career tackles for a loss, yet he's considered one of the very best linebackers ever to play the game. So, even granting him a full 100 TFLs to make a round number,

100/15 = 6.67 TFL/year

If you've got different totals, I'd be happy to see them.

Last edited:
There is just no question that the ILB in the 34 base is responsible for the gaps on either side of the onside G. Anyone who wants to believe the offense would just chose not to block the LB responsible for the point of attack is just kidding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes