PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

jemea thomas cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatFanCraig

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I always said the patriots should have taken a flyer on Antonio Richardson or seantrell Henderson over jemea Thomas. They had talent to play tackle, at least RT and if they got out of line they could easily be cut as being just a Round6 pick but at least talent was there to work with and could even be steals. With all the players who can play fs on the team, what impact was thomas going to make.

Not surprised by this cut. He didn't show much in camp or preseason plus he's been injured too

Never had 10 spots before.

practice squad
Honestly, I think if he was someone they wanted for the practice squad they would have held onto him until final cuts to limit the time he is not with the team. I do not think they liked what they saw from Thomas, I could be wrong.

I said this in another thread earlier today – this has been as unimpressive a draft class (so far) in recent memory. I know Garopollo has shown promise but he is not going to contribute for several years.

I said this in another thread earlier today – this has been as unimpressive a draft class (so far) in recent memory. I know Garopollo has shown promise but he is not going to contribute for several years.

Its only been a month...

It is the final week of the preseason.

Hopefully it gets better, but so far it has been disappointing.
What were your expectations for each player in this class at this stage of the season?

I'm confused as to why it's disappointing...

Lets see, who actually makes the team before we decide whether or not it is a good draft. They cut their third 6th round pick and the draft sucks. Lol

What were your expectations for each player in this class at this stage of the season?

We needed to hit on more of those picks so we'd be cutting better players.

We drafted 8 players and it is likely 3 don't make the final roster. Easley and Stork have not played a down this preseason. White and Fleming have not done anything to indicate they will be major contributors. Garopollo who is going to be a non-factor for the next several is the only player who has shown anything promising at this point,

We drafted 8 players and it is likely 3 don't make the final roster. Easley and Stork have not played a down this preseason. White and Fleming have not done anything to indicate they will be major contributors. Garopollo who is going to be a non-factor for the next several is the only player who has shown anything promising at this point,
It's not unusual on teams as good a the Pats that the 6 and 7th round picks doesn't make the roster.

Easley was always going to be a player that takes some time to get healthy. But who then has huge potential upside upside. Storks injury sucks though.

But who the **** cares about how they play in august? I don't care about how Easley plays now. I care about him getting to Manning in January.

You are talking about this like it has gone a year and our drafted players still haven't gotten onto the field, and like our cut players are from the first and second round. The sky isn't falling down just yet. If this is the situation in a year then I can agree with you on some level. But it isn't even week 1 yet.

Easley will be good once he puts his size back on he lost to injury. Remember when you tear the acl it means no heavy legs workouts. Which means you will lose size as legs are among the most important for a DT to work. Fleming has quietly played very well and at times blocked effortlessly. At just under 6'5 and weighing over 330 lbs I hope they put him at his best position which is guard. For a player like Fleming,position is the difference between being a struggling OLineman and pro bowl consideration. I love Fleming at RG! Baltimore had Yanda at RT where he mauled in some games and struggled at times due to lack of athleticism and length to protect the edge against passrushers. But they knew they had to get a true RT that allowed them to put Yanda at guard, his best position and while he was an OK RT, Yanda became a pro bowl guard as they knew he would. Fleming has more size and length than Yanda. Yanda right now plays with a nastier edge than Fleming and seeks to destroy whenever he can. However Fleming is a little bigger and blocks more effortlessly. Fleming compares well to the Ravens other young talented guard Osemele. Osemele is a little taller and longer and plays more nasty than Fleming, so far. And may be slightly more athletic. However Fleming has a more natural feel for blocking and maybe very slightly stronger than Osemele and much more intelligent! Which will make him a better blocker overall as he develops. Stork also has a great feel and OK athleticism for a move center. However he just has an OK anchor but not bad. If he works his way to about 320 lbs he should be a very good center as his award proves he also has a good feel for blocking. I admit some draft picks make no sense like jemea Thomas while there were 6'7 tackles available with talent to develop. Yeah they had probe but they also had some talent, maybe very very good talent. And sometimes players don't care for school but get to the NFL and want to be a pro who plays well and wants to earn a big contract. Like Burfict, he plays well and works in the NFL while his college report said lazy. Some players get better and want to work hard in the NFL once they get paychecks to earn bigger paychecks. Players like them help win games and make pro bowls. They shouldn't be discounted. Would you want Jemea Thomas or Seantrell Henderson/Antonio Richardson in training camp. Either and especially Henderson could be a great swing tackle backup and even really good starter at RT and maybe even LT. So there is hope for this draft class. Would be nice to see Stork on the field

Honestly, I think if he was someone they wanted for the practice squad they would have held onto him until final cuts to limit the time he is not with the team. I do not think they liked what they saw from Thomas, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
It's not unusual on teams as good a the Pats that the 6 and 7th round picks doesn't make the roster.

Easley was always going to be a player that takes some time to get healthy. But who then has huge potential upside upside. Storks injury sucks though.

But who the **** cares about how they play in august? I don't care about how Easley plays now. I care about him getting to Manning in January.

You are talking about this like it has gone a year and our drafted players still haven't gotten onto the field, and like our cut players are from the first and second round. The sky isn't falling down just yet. If this is the situation in a year then I can agree with you on some level. But it isn't even week 1 yet.
Listen I love this team as much as anyone on this board, hence the nearly 10K posts I have made, but my love it is not blinding. The draft class has been unimpressive, and I was in the draft board daily, scouted, and mocked the draft as much as anyone on the board, and when the draft happened I liked 2 picks – Easley and Moore. I was thought the Stork and Halapio picks were horrible, as I expressed in the draft threads at the time, and I still do think that. Look at their draft grades both were 7th round to UDFA.

Bryan Stork:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90248&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

Jon Halapio:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90393&draftyear=2014&genpos=og

There was a period during OTA where I thought I was had been wrong about Halapio even tried defending him. If Halapio, Thomas, and Gallon miss the 53, and Stork goes to injured reserve as many have been projecting that would put 50% of the draft class off the 53 man roster. That is disappointing, and if you cannot see that and admit it you are being a fool who is blinded by his love for the team.

We haven't won a single game since that draft. What a disaster.
Come on Andy, you are an objective poster, at this point and time have you been pleased with our draft class overall?

Could it get better? Yes, and I hope it does we have already cut as many draft picks in this draft as we had in the last 2 combined and rosters are at 75 still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft