PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jan 19 2002 - 22 years ago last game played at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxborough Stadium

I was there. It really didn't seem that cold and the snow was very light and fluffy (I remember it piling up on people's heads and shoulders). I also recall a guy sitting a couple rows down from me (sec. 204) who had an air horn in each hand he held up blaring when Oakland was on offense. No way something like that would be allowed these days in Gillette.

Wow, the memories are coming back pretty clear ... Wiggins making a ton of catches ... We couldn't see Vinatieri's tying field goal because it was snowing so hard and lights in the old stadium weren't the brightest, so we were happily surprised when the refs raised their arms. His OT winning kick everyone pretty much took for granted because it was closer. I still have the souvenir playoff hat I bought at that game. Great stuff.
I was there too.

I was sick in bed Thursday, 102 fever. My wife came home to check on me, I told her “2-4 inches for kickoff, I’m gonna rally.” I went to work Friday and Saturday until time to go, but still not well. It was an hour before kickoff before I felt better.

I remember security was chaos. My buddy had his ticket taken at the gate, the ticket taker basically told him to eff off. I went to the top of the section, where the fence used to be, and handed him my ticket so he could get in the section. Remember, the stadium tear down was underway and had to be halted.

Like you, I was never cold. It wasn’t until we got to my folks place that I noticed I was soaking wet.

As a season ticket holder in this dump, I have more than once seen drunken a-holes actually relieve themselves on the benches in front of them.
Empty 16 ounce be.... hmm... On the advice of my attorney, I plead the fifth.

Section 12, row 6

and you're welcome, our roar from the south end zone let you all know the kick was good a half second before everybody else knew...

epic, ethereal, exciting, and walked out of the game ecstatic...

Foxboro was a ****hole, but man, what a great place to see a game... rowdy, raucous and sometimes rough... no visiting team fans in the endzone, ever... seats always filled by the same drunken fools (me included) week in week out... all things a football game should be...
Section 115. Row 24 seat 9

It's...not. It's 50 years old, built less than 2 years after Shaefer - and is the identical cheap design. Maybe that's why it seems fine? Seems like home?
Have you been there? I've been to Foxboro stadium over 20+ times and not only for the Patriots. The feel inside the Bills stadium is entirely different than Foxboro. It's enclosed, ample seating, plenty of space inside the bowl, great sightlines, all you can ask for.

This is more about the bars, the restaurants, the suites, the extra viewing spaces.

The only problem really is the concourses. They're too small. I'd note though that Gillette is pretty poor with those as well.

Lambeau and Fenway have been fully refurbished multiple times. You can't refurb Highmark Stadium, because it's that cheap piece of **** stadium that Schaefer was.
????

It' been refurbished numerous times.

I went to a few games in 2001 including Brady's first start. I wish I had gone to the Raiders game. I worked with a guy who went with his friend, a Raiders fan. At work the next day he said he friend didn't come back because he got arrested for fighting Pats fans during the game.

Not this nice, but in Mexico some places have them right at the dive bar.

No more worries coming back to your half full beer gone.
Too lazy to get up and take a piss ... so they can drink more.

To me Gillette is still a Mercedes after going to the old stadium and freezing my ass off on those aluminum benches and BTW, aluminum conducts cold well and waiting in line at halftime to take a leak, they had to few rest rooms, and everyone herded in there like cattle.

Schaeffer stadium was a dump of epic proprtions.

Interestingly 30 people suffered frostbite at Miami KC game.
All NFL stadiums should have retractable domes.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back