Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you think of Jamie Collins performance this season?

• Great, better than I expected

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Good, about what I expected

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Average, I expected more

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Terrible, I am disappointed

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Obviously with Mayo out Jamie Collins is going to become the primary 3 down LB, I was just curious what everyone thought of his performance thus far in his second NFL season?

His stats – 5 games, 26 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 1 interception, 2 pass defenses, 1 run stuff, 2 QB hits, 2 QB pressures, 33.33% completion percentage against (6/18).

I still think he is a long way from the player he will be when all is said and done, but I have been pleased with him so far this year, especially considering he played through an injury in the early games.

I think the experience he got last year is going to pay huge dividends this year now that mayo is out again.

Collins really started slowly but by the end of the season he was tearing it up and was a huge part of our D, I'd expect him to continue that trend moving forward, I've been really happy with him.

The kid has not lived up to the impossible hype surrounding him coming into the season. That seems pretty obvious at this point. But was he ever really supposed to? I mean, a lot of us, and maybe myself included on some level, took that Indianapolis playoff game and thought we'd get 16 of those this season because he's so fast and he's so athletic and blah blah. Did enough of us ever give pause and realize that he's still just a second-year player learning a rather difficult position in a purportedly complex defensive system?

And when you look at it that way, I think that a) he's shown some growing pains but b) you can see progress from week-to-week as he is putting things together. The INT in Buffalo is proof of that. That pick would have been a completion for the other team with Collins trailing three yards behind. Instead, he cut his responsibility be reading the QB and being decisive enough to drop back into a soft coverage . . . and INTERCEPTING the pass. Even Marrone said it was the right read because they didn't expect him to be there. They simply didn't see him. I don't think he makes that play a few weeks ago. Evidence, it hadn't happened. LOL

The bottom line is I think we have a player who is obviously still ascending, and what more can you ask for at this stage in a young player's career. Do any of us know the pressure to be so young and playing for a team that is expected to be there in the end in contention for the SB? That's got to weigh somewhat on a young player's mind, IMHO. Still, he's making plays and getting better each game. He'll make mistakes and he needs to find a way to be more physical, but he'll grow into it. I'd say we're lucky to have him.

Last edited:
The option i would pick is "good, but I expected more".

Maybe I was just expecting too much perhaps. He has a lot of room to improve and hopefully will. He seriously has all-pro potential.

After that big playoff game vs the Colts, I expected more dominance. If only he could play like that every game. Very inconsistent. I think the injury could be part of it, but I dont see him as a player who plays with any intensity, that's a big minus.

He's been approximately what I expected. He struggles to get off blocks in the running game (this is the main reason why he couldn't perform Mayo's role even if Belichick wanted to use him that way), but that was evident last year and I didn't expect him to become a beast in the run game over the course of a single offseason. He's had excellent range in coverage, as highlighted by his INT against the Bills, which again is a known attribute of his.

The one area that the jury's still out on is that I haven't seen him in the backfield at all. I had expected that he might make some plays in the backfield, either against the pass or the run. Thought we might see some of that this year as his role was expanded in the defense, but so far it hasn't really been a part of his game. Mayo was doing a lot of delayed blitzing before he went down, so maybe we'll see some of that from Collins (although doing so removes out best cover LB from coverage, which is a dicey proposition).

Last edited:
Don't forget he's been injured and missed some time. Looks good while playing. I think even Collinsworth even said something in the Bengals game like "wow, this Jamie Collins is turning into one hell of a player"

INT, FF, FR, already.

Jamie Collins has had a pretty good year so far.

I guess I expected him to turn into the next Lavonte David by this point but hey I can be a bit too optimistic at times. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back