PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: James sanders cut (merged)

Arguably the weakest position on the team just got weaker.....and Merriweather is now the seasoned vet? Sigh....

In Bill I trust.....In Bill I trust.....In Bill I trust.....

re: James sanders cut (merged)

Saves over $2M off the cap. Maybe he resigns at a lower rate. Passing of the torch completely to Chung and Merriweather. Sergio Brown obviously has done enough for the back up spot. Rowling an emergency safety while being the 4th CB?

Finally. Good riddance. Highly overrated. Got by for years on the reputation of "being a hard worker". Pats defense has been highly porous during his tenure here. Change is definitely needed.

Will be interesting to see if they play the locker nameplate game here, as Reiss often observes.

Will they take his name down and give #36 to another player?

Not a capologist but based on Miguel's pages I believe the Pats would be $12 million to $15 million under the cap with Sanders release.

Re: James sanders cut (merged)

Talent gap between Sanders and Brown probably necessitated this move, especially considering the former's contract.

I expected this after Saturday.

Sanders made a half-hearted attempt at a tackle, it was pathetic. He may also have lost half a step. Plus his salary.

He had three guns aimed at his head: salary, speed, softness.

It doesn't matter that he's the headiest member of the secondary. Kyle Arrington may be slotted to the safety position for the moment until they find out what they have in Dowling.

It's odd: Darius Butler may now be 3rd string CB and an injury away from starting.

You might be right, but none of the other safeties fill me with much confidence either.

Last edited:

But who now will pick Peyton Manning for us ending another futile Colts comeback?

Hard to project Dowling playing anything, since he's practiced about 6 times in camp, with no OTAs and passing camps...Tough year to be a rookie.

10-4. Also, playing your most fragile player at safety is not optimal.

Honestly, not a huge fan of this move. Something to be said for having a steady, reliable guy in the defensive backfield. May not be an All Pro, but not every position can be one.

Had thought this might have happened, but not yet! The final roster cuts yes, not before the first!

Down to the money!

Had thought this might have happened, but not yet! The final roster cuts yes, not before the first!

It's a sign of respect. If they do not plan on re-signing him, it gives him time to find another team before rosters are finalized.

Last edited:

Honestly, not a huge fan of this move. Something to be said for having a steady, reliable guy in the defensive backfield. May not be an All Pro, but not every position can be one.

In past years so true, but Sanders moderately big contract put him in the gunsights relative to other backups. Obviously BB felt that at his contract price Sanders was not better than Brown for the team. Sanders committed the cardinal sin for a safety making a weak attempt at a tackle Saturday. A safety is the last line of defense and has to be a consistent tackler.

Perhaps Sanders signs at a friendlier rate but I doubt it. BB is headed in a different direction and may prefer a hitter like Ojib who admitedly could not cover me. Perhaps he feel that the cuts scrap heap will give him a developmental younger hard hitting backup. Or Sharper.

Don't forget about Ihedigbo. Maybe he proved move valuable than Sanders.

It's a sign of respect. If they do not plan on re-signing him, it gives him time to find another team before rosters are finalized.

I guessed that!

See him getting signed pretty quickly!

Don't forget about Ihedigbo. Maybe he proved move valuable than Sanders.

I would hope not, he was terrible. Pretty much right in line with his reputation for being bad against both the run and the pass.

It's odd: Darius Butler may now be 3rd string CB and an injury away from starting.

Save the 2011 season before its too late.

Make a trade for Samuel.

I would hope not, he was terrible. Pretty much right in line with his reputation for being bad against both the run and the pass.

Shocking. I wonder if they will bring him back under a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes